Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Current generation ViDock​
VillageTronic seems to have started work on a Thunderbolt version of its ViDock PCI expansion chassis that allows laptop owners to use PCI Express graphics cards on their computers. They lay out the following usage scenario:

ViDock2Spider34.png

Imagine using your thin and light laptop PC during the day on the job, at school, or at the local café then arriving home, or dorm room, plugging it into your ViDock and firing up your latest PC game on a large format monitor. Just plug in one cable into your laptop PC and you instantly have a powerful 3D workstation with a big display, a big keyboard and your pointing device of choice. You are ready for gaming, video transcoding, photoshop, 3D design, watching full 1080p HD movies, and more!
The ViDock presently interfaces through laptops using an ExpressCard slot, but we've heard that development has started on a Thunderbolt compatible version. ExpressCard slots are a rarity on Apple's laptops, presently only available on the 17" MacBook Pro. By offering a Thunderbolt version of this expansion chassis, even 11" MacBook Air customers could theoretically drive an external graphics card.

Villiagetronic originally posted a feeler for such a device on their Facebook page, promising to pursue development if there was enough interest. They've also discussed the possibility of adding USB ports, Ethernet and other ports to the expansion dock. Separately, we've heard the chassis itself will adopt an aluminum "Mac" look, unlike the presently shipping ViDocks (pictured above).

Sony had previously introduced a similar but proprietary dock system for their upcoming ultra-thin 13" notebook. It's no surprise that companies are starting to work on similar solutions for the broader market, and Villiagetronic isn't alone with a similar Sonnet device also having been announced.

Article Link: External Thunderbolt PCI Expansion Chassis and Hub in Development

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Exciting possibilities. My thunderbolt iMac could use this.

xstaycold

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
would love to see this on thunderbolt displays. it would actually influence me to buy one.

Narrie

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
far north atm
Would the Macbook Air be compatible with its stripped down Thunderbolt port?

This is a very clever solution for people who want to add some extra horsepower to the Air, Mini or the 13" MBP.

Just think about the possibilities if it's going to be modular. You could just insert a high-end graphics-card and you're good to go.

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
This would be great - I've been clammering for something like this for ages. (Ever since Apple started putting underpowered none-upgradeable graphics cards in their machines.)

I can only see one major downside though...

- Who the heck is going to write the software drivers for these Graphics cards? Apple sure isn't - and it's not like there are a whole bunch of Mac compatible graphics cards out there to choose from...

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
So in theory if someone created USB3 drivers for Mac OS X one could put a PCIe USB card into one of those external boxes and thus have what so many people seem to be demanding?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
" ... Imagine using your thin and light laptop PC during the day on the job, at school, or at the local café then arriving home, or dorm room, plugging it into your ViDock and firing up your latest PC game on a large format monitor. Just plug in one cable into your laptop PC and you instantly have a powerful 3D workstation with a big display, a big keyboard and your pointing device of choice. You are ready for gaming, video transcoding, photoshop, 3D design, watching full 1080p HD movies, and more! ..."

Yeah .. imagine that Thunderbolt naysayers ... Can USB 3.0 do that? :D

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
...if the drivers for Lion exist, which they probably won't. Also depending on the power supply the true high-end graphics cards might not get enough juice.

I'd imagine anything like this would have to come with its own power supply to be viable in the first place, so I wouldn't worry.

P.S. So now you people understand why some of us see a bright future for thunderbolt. Buy yourself a low-end mac mini, then get yourself one of these babies, and presto! A gaming PC. All we need now is for AMD/NVidia to start provide their own drivers, then we'd be all set. I wonder if NDIS could be ported to Mac OS?

Narrie

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
far north atm
...if the drivers for Lion exist, which they probably won't. Also depending on the power supply the true high-end graphics cards might not get enough juice.

If the purpse is gaming, you could just use in boot camp. The selection is still much larger for Windows.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'd imagine anything like this would have to come with its own power supply to be viable in the first place, so I wouldn't worry.

The current ViDocks come in 3 configs to handle the power

ViDock 3 is designed for graphics cards that consume up to 75W of power and get all of their power needs from the PCI Express connector. It can accommodate cards up to 240mm long, which is a bit longer than the PCI Express Standard “half length” cards.

ViDock 4 is designed for those higher performance graphics cards that require up to 150W of power and use a 6 pin power connector to supplement the power supplied by the PCI Express connector. It will accommodate cards that are up to 316mm long, which is the PCI Express “full length” specification.

ViDock 4 Plus adds a second 2 x 3 pin power connector to accommodate graphics cards that require up to 225W.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

The Sonnets come with 150W or 75W power supplies. The Radeon HD 6970 requires about 360W. So, as I said- the high end graphics cards will still be out of reach unless they decide to stick a rather large PSU on the back of those things.

Of course, not everyone will need the best of the best. I imagine for most people the bay PSU will suffice for whatever they want to put in it.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage

I agree about the Apple/Mac OS X not supporting it. However I doubt the thunderbolt cable would supply power to the box I would guess it would have external power.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Thats a cool idea. Wouldn't surprise me if Apple themselves have played around with the idea too.

would love to see this on thunderbolt displays. it would actually influence me to buy one.

Think of the new Apple Thunderbolt Display if Apple put a monster GPU in the display and when you dock your MacBook Air it turbo charges it with a beautiful display and ports already there! This sounds like a logical progression for mobile computing coexisting with power users! :cool:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The Sonnets come with 150W or 75W power supplies. The Radeon HD 6970 requires about 360W. So, as I said- the high end graphics cards will still be out of reach unless they decide to stick a rather large PSU on the back of those things.

Of course, not everyone will need the best of the best. I imagine for most people the bay PSU will suffice for whatever they want to put in it.

That is the wattage the whole system is using, not the power consumption of the GPU (it can't really be measured separately). 6970 has TDP of 250W while the Sonnet and ViDock provide up to 225W (150W PSU + 75W PCIe).

jesushavemercy

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2011
Wow, I've been longing for this.
TBH I don't think that this will work very well outside bootcamp. So it's probably suited for windows more.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
I can only see one major downside though...

- Who the heck is going to write the software drivers for these Graphics cards? Apple sure isn't - and it's not like there are a whole bunch of Mac compatible graphics cards out there to choose from...

You won't need to rely on Mac drivers. Just boot camp into Windows 7 for your gaming. Unless you're thinking about productivity software... Still, if Sonnet is making something like this, you know they'll be including Mac drivers of some description for the hardware. They'll probably include a list of supported graphics cards or something. We'll see... The real question will be if the Mac versions of this external design will require Mac versions of the graphics cards. Again, if you just use it for a boot camp installation, that shouldn't matter too much either. Anyway...I'm just speculating, which is about as good as most people are doing, I suppose. =P

In any case, I will definitely buy something like this if it provides a real solution. I just dumped my PC tower because it's noisy and large and a pain in the rear as it freezes up on occasion. Yes, Windows 7 is better, but I still get a BSD every now and then, and on multiple machines (so, I'm not convinced it's just a hardware issue). Maybe I just suck.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You won't need to rely on Mac drivers. Just boot camp into Windows 7 for your gaming. Unless you're thinking about productivity software... Still, if Sonnet is making something like this, you know they'll be including Mac drivers of some description for the hardware. They'll probably include a list of supported graphics cards or something. We'll see... The real question will be if the Mac versions of this external design will require Mac versions of the graphics cards. Again, if you just use it for a boot camp installation, that shouldn't matter too much either. Anyway...I'm just speculating, which is about as good as most people are doing, I suppose. =P

In any case, I will definitely buy something like this if it provides a real solution. I just dumped my PC tower because it's noisy and large and a pain in the rear as it freezes up on occasion. Yes, Windows 7 is better, but I still get a BSD every now and then, and on multiple machines (so, I'm not convinced it's just a hardware issue). Maybe I just suck.

Thunderbolt doesn't work under Windows (yet). We need drivers for that too.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
Shame thunderbolt isn't fast enough to support full-speed PCIe cards, otherwise it'd be a lot more interesting.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Thunderbolt doesn't work under Windows (yet). We need drivers for that too.

Ha. I suck. Didn't realise Thunderbolt isn't working under Windows yet. Thought there were some random Sony machines or something that were implementing it. Thanks for informing me!

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
The real question will be if the Mac versions of this external design will require Mac versions of the graphics cards.

Yes I wondered that too - hence my comments about writing software drivers. - It would be far better if the hardware supports Mac and PC graphics cards (if this is possible). There are a far greater (and cheaper) range of PC cards available - but they would require the necessary drivers for them to be supported on the Mac.

If the hardware only would work with Mac compatible graphics cards, what's the guarantee that these work under Windows 7 even IF thunderbolt was supported.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.