Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
If you're gonna do this you might as well replace the chassis with the 2010 model's and stick an ODD in there for ultimate HTPC pwn.

jeffh

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
Key word here is 'likely'. this is not proven. I'm pretty sure Apple has been lenient on owner installed hard drive upgrades on previous Minis. I do not think there is substantial proof otherwise. I can see if they try to prove that your hard drive fried your motherboard. But since Apple is offering dual large, faster drives themselves they can't say the Mini can't handle drive upgrades. I guess you take your chances tho with Apple. hmm.

I did a similar upgrade in my MBP - replaced the optical drive for a HDD bay (optibay type solution, but cheaper) and recently got the logic board replaced for free under warranty - they didn't care that I had done the computer surgery (on a non-unibody MBP - not easy).

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
If you're gonna do this you might as well replace the chassis with the 2010 model's and stick an ODD in there for ultimate HTPC pwn.

I see where you're coming from - but the whole point surely is to have two HDD/SDD drives in a tiny little package. If you still need an optical drive, your idea makes sense, but even if you put a Blu-ray drive in, OSX won't know what to do with it other than let you burn data if you have Toast or something similar.

I suppose you could just Bootcamp and use Windows for HTPC, but then you're on the wrong forum! ;)

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Guys, I'm a bit unclear about the issue with the screws. I installed my SSD and took the two screws from the default HHD. The SSD was a bear to get back in. The cables to the right wedge in between the SSD and the logicboard components so the drive is as snug as can be.

Moreover, I don't see any holes on the side bracket for the second drive. So what are people needing screws for exactly? Am I missing something?

slyseekr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Any solutions for the screw issue?

The corresponding screws for the 2010 model is 922-9585, though the screws on these pages would likely work: 922-7978, 922-7941.

Lokheed said:
The SSD was a bear to get back in. The cables to the right wedge in between the SSD and the logicboard components so the drive is as snug as can be.

I also had a similar issue after I added my second Hard Drive. The cables seemed to make it the harder to reseat the top drive, though I believe the SSD's physical size was also a contributing factor. During my first attempt, seating the SSD in the bottom, the HDD slid in with no problem.

Does anyone who has a BTO SSD + HDD know if the stock hard drives are experiencing similar issues with reseating? Or, in which order Apple elected to install the SSD?

Rapscallion

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
So it looks as though Macpartsonline is out of stock on the lower hard drive cables, that’s too bad.
Does anyone know a different supplier in north america?

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
i may be crazy but i thought about getting the 799 model mini then getting a busted 2010 model that has a working super drive and basicly swap the 2011 into the 2010 and have a working new mini with a built in super drive

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I also had a similar issue after I added my second Hard Drive. The cables seemed to make it the harder to reseat the top drive, though I believe the SSD's physical size was also a contributing factor. During my first attempt, seating the SSD in the bottom, the HDD slid in with no problem.

When you installed your SSD to the bottom, did you tuck the bunch of dense black cables between the drive and the components? Or did you tuck them underneath the drive itself? I didn't pay attention to how they were from the factory, but the shape of the cables led me to believe that they go flush on the side of the drive, but that made them sit pretty tight.

Just don't want to crunch them or have them in a way that might put stress on them.

i may be crazy but i thought about getting the 799 model mini then getting a busted 2010 model that has a working super drive and basicly swap the 2011 into the 2010 and have a working new mini with a built in super drive

Okay, you are crazy. It would be cheaper to just get the external DVD from Apple. How often do you need DVDs anyway? I think I'm the only one on the planet that loves that they dropped those stupid things. The day won't come soon enough when I never have to see another CD/DVD!

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

slyseekr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
When you installed your SSD to the bottom, did you tuck the bunch of dense black cables between the drive and the components? Or did you tuck them underneath the drive itself? I didn't pay attention to how they were from the factory, but the shape of the cables led me to believe that they go flush on the side of the drive, but that made them sit pretty tight.

Just don't want to crunch them or have them in a way that might put stress on them.

I routed the cables between the Drive and the power supply. It seemed they had just enough slack to accommodate the needed length/give..

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I routed the cables between the Drive and the power supply. It seemed they had just enough slack to accommodate the needed length/give..

Okay, I think we did it the same way. Like this right (top view)?

SSD.png

I can say it really wasn't fun. I've taken my MBP 1,1 apart so many times to work on it and while it was time consuming, at least you had room to work. This thing made use of every single available space in the thing (except for the empty bay of course) ;)

slyseekr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Okay, I think we did it the same way. Like this right (top view)?

I can say it really wasn't fun. I've taken my MBP 1,1 apart so many times to work on it and while it was time consuming, at least you had room to work. This thing made use of every single available space in the thing (except for the empty bay of course) ;)

Yep, the cables seemed to fit nicely for me, a bit snug, but I also had a plastic flat edge (case opener) to move and hold them into place while I was seating the SSD.

The biggest moment of truth for me was tugging the logicboard out of the case, I was half-expecting to lose my $800 investment! And the cable/plug that connects the logicboard to the PSU looks like it can snap very easily.

macrumors member
May 31, 2002
Seing as the 2011 Mac Mini supports SATA III, any of you guys who upgraded to SATA III SSD's, are you getting the drive's full speed using the stock cable that came with the Mac Mini ?

I plan to upgrade to a sata 3 drive and leave the 500GB that came as a media drive....

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
Seing as the 2011 Mac Mini supports SATA III, any of you guys who upgraded to SATA III SSD's, are you getting the drive's full speed using the stock cable that came with the Mac Mini ?

I plan to upgrade to a sata 3 drive and leave the 500GB that came as a media drive....

MacpartsOnline still hasnt shipped out my order from last friday.

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Yep, the cables seemed to fit nicely for me, a bit snug, but I also had a plastic flat edge (case opener) to move and hold them into place while I was seating the SSD.

The biggest moment of truth for me was tugging the logicboard out of the case, I was half-expecting to lose my $800 investment! And the cable/plug that connects the logicboard to the PSU looks like it can snap very easily.

Phew. I know I'm being overly anal, but I'm a bear when it comes to perfection. Even stripped off the plastic shielding and reapplied it to my SSD ;)

I know what you mean, dude. First time is always unnerving. Cracking my MBP for the first time almost gave me a heart attack! Now, I go in there like I'm devouring a whole thing of jelly beans ;)

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Talked to MacPartsOnline and they said they are out of the cable in question and have a large order from Apple coming middle of next week. I asked if they knew for sure if the cable was going to be available. They said if Apple has them we will get them. Apparently this is an item that they only kept a couple of in stock due to low demand until the mini 2011 was released.

So we will see if next week they ship them or not.

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
Are the screws for the 2nd HDD really necessary ? i dont even see from the pictures were you screw them in, im ordering my mac mini in a couple of days since i already got the cable.

also , wich hdd do you think is better to put into it ? Seagates momentus 750 Gb or a scorpion blue 1tb ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.