Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Granitel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I bought a used iPhone 3G 8GB on Craigslist for $120 for use on the T-Mobile network and the only problem (so far) that I've noticed is that the screen appears to have a strange 'space' on the bottom left & there are blue dots when the screen is black.

Googling, I found round 'bubble' problems, but I couldn't find any pictures (in images.google.com) of the same irregular-shaped bubbly defect/problem that I see on my screen in the photo below.

This defect (see photo below) doesn't appear to hamper use; but I'm wondering if it will spread - and - if it's something I 'should' worry about (and, if so, how to fix it).

Thanks, in advance, for any advice you can provide.

NOTE: It's hard to get this in a picture because of the lack of contrast.

Attachments

• iphone3g_glass_problem.gif
    iphone3g_glass_problem.gif
    146 KB · Views: 2,137
  • iphone3g_glass_problem2.gif
    iphone3g_glass_problem2.gif
    210.1 KB · Views: 32,197
Last edited:

Granitel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I waited 36 hours for a helpful response ... so I hesitate to post again ... as I'm a newbie here.

In searching, I found this Apple secret document (not for public dissemination apparently) which implies that there is a common pixel repair solution.

Does this bubble on my phone look like the common pixel dot problem listed below?

Apple Internal Comments
Acceptable numbers of pixel anomalies

The Apple Confidential specifications provided here are not for release to customers. However, they can be used in conjunction with informaiton about the display to determine whether a customer's LCD panel may be suitable for repair or replacement.

Apple Authorized Service Providers can obtain product specific pixel anomaly specifications in the Service Source documentation.

Note: If the number of pixel anomalies is within specifications, explain that to the customer. Further explain that you can replace the product, but the replacement product may have even more anomalies yet still be within specifications, and that Apple will not replace the product again if the number of anomaloies in the replacement product is within specifications.

Attachments

• apple-display-dead-pixels.jpg
    apple-display-dead-pixels.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 197

Bloodkip

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
Maybe, you can take apart the iPhone and clean the bottom. As seeing your other thread that your on T-Mobile. If you take the iPhone back to Apple you may lose your unlock. If it bothers you that much, take apart the phone and clean it. The dead pixel policy applies to the screen I believe.

Granitel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Nobody seems to know what this irregular blob actually is!

Maybe, you can take apart the iPhone and clean the bottom.

Thanks for the suggestion; it's weird that nobody else on this entire forum has any experience with this weird-shaped blob. :(

It seems feasible to change the screen; but all the screen-changing threads I looked up were for something 'else', namely:
  • Dust particles under the screen
  • Cracked or broken screens
  • Dead pixels

The blob above seems to be none of those (or, maybe it's very odd alien shaped dust)?

The dead pixel policy applies to the screen I believe.

I think I also have two dead pixels (see photo below with the two blue dots circled). They don't bother me.

What bothers me is I don't know "WHAT" that irregular blob is under the glass!

Doesn't anyone know what that irregular blob is?

Attachments

• pixel.JPG
    pixel.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.