Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
On the latest update you now can watch tv shows you previously bought on iTunes from icloud... Also vimeo videos in hd are now available... Quite a nice update if you ask me!! Enjoy folks!!

nivekr11

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
It doesn't show all my tv shows I purchased. Figures it won't show show the good ones.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
So how do YouTube playlists work so far? Does a playlist of HD videos run well?

I don't have an Apple TV yet but if YT playlists work nicely then I'll pick one up; the laptop has to spend too much time loading HD videos through YT to make it viable to hook up with the TV and let it run.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looks like this I the start of moving everything to the cloud so we don't have to keep iTunes running to play what's we've got stored on our macs. Good stuff.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looks like this I the start of moving everything to the cloud so we don't have to keep iTunes running to play what's we've got stored on our macs. Good stuff.

Crapidea when most of the world has capped downloads.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Not to mention Im not buying 4TB of iCloud to hold my entire library.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Unless I am missing something, you have the option to just keep everything local. We are notbeing forced to move everything to the cloud.

I like having everything local, push come to shove I can cut our Internet off and still be able to stream right from my iMac.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
Unless I am missing something, you have the option to just keep everything local. We are notbeing forced to move everything to the cloud.

I like having everything local, push come to shove I can cut our Internet off and still be able to stream right from my iMac.

Nope, Apple TV 2 needs the internet otherwise it won't stream anything from your iMac.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I wonder if there's a date range for the stuff that is now available on the cloud? I noticed that the earliest shows I downloaded are the ones not visible on my ATV2.

prss14

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2009
Kentucky
You don't need the internet to stream iTunes media from your iMac. You just need a network. Either wired or wireless. You need the internet for Netflix and Rentals type stuff...but not iTunes from your iMac.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Nope, Apple TV 2 needs the internet otherwise it won't stream anything from your iMac.

No it doesn't. It just needs to be connected to your Mac.

And if I'm not mistaken, you don't have to pay for space on iCloud for items your purchased from iTunes. In other words the 60 gigs that a season of Fringe needs wouldn't be counted if you bought it from Apple.

waiting

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
I'm having problems right now with this update.

I don't mean to threadjack, but I'm posting this here in case others develop the same problems with this update that I just got.

I've been getting kicked out of podcasts on my ATV2 in the last couple of days. (In the middle of them, playback would stop and I would see that the screen had put me back at the main 5-column menu.)

Just now, I was trying to listen to a podcast from my Favorites, when I was kicked out again. This time, there was the screen that offered the choices to update now or later.

I chose Update now, and the download started. Right before the download bar completed, the screen went black for a moment, then I got something unexpected and that I haven't seen before:

What showed was a large iTunes logo at the top-center of the screen with an image of a white micro-USB cable (not connected) pointing at it from below. Now I have no image (just my TV's default screen), and the ATV2's light has been blinking rapidly ever since. This just happened, moments before this post.

Anybody have any ideas what happened, or what to do now? I'm still looking for answers myself online....

EDIT: I just tried a reset of the ATV2 (held down MENU and [DOWN] for 6 seconds). Doing this just brought back the iTunes and micro-USB cable screen, which I still don't understand. Still searching for answers....

Last edited:

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
I don't mean to threadjack, but I'm posting this here in case others develop the same problems with this update that I just got.

I've been getting kicked out of podcasts on my ATV2 in the last couple of days. (In the middle of them, playback would stop and I would see that the screen had put me back at the main 5-column menu.)

Just now, I was trying to listen to a podcast from my Favorites, when I was kicked out again. This time, there was the screen that offered the choices to update now or later.

I chose Update now, and the download started. Right before the download bar completed, the screen went black for a moment, then I got something unexpected and that I haven't seen before:

What showed was a large iTunes logo at the top-center of the screen with an image of a white USB cable (not connected) pointing at it from below. Now I have no image (just my TV's default screen), and the ATV2's light has been blinking rapidly ever since. This just happened, moments before this post.

Anybody have any ideas what happened, or what to do now? I'm still looking for answers myself online....

No i don't but you should start this in a new thread.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Looks like MLB added free game recaps in the latest update. Nice! NBA has had that since the beginning and I used it a lot last season. Anybody notice any other unannounced changes?

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Netflix resolution

Since the update Netflix widescreen movie resolution all screwed up. Stuck at 4:3!

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
Looks like MLB added free game recaps in the latest update. Nice! NBA has had that since the beginning and I used it a lot last season. Anybody notice any other unannounced changes?

that was there before

For me, I'm seeing a bug now in MLB.TV... While viewing the list of today's games (or even if I slide over to other dates), when I move down the list to view a game's progress (the inning-by-inning scores), if I sit on one for a few seconds, it will, on it's own, jump back up to the first game in the list. Very annoying.

Tried an unplug/restart and no help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.