Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
So, it might get bigger, slimmer and better processor. What? Bigger than expected? We all expected it to become slimmer and bigger and have better hardware. That's the whole point of new phone.

Why? What will LTE allow you to do that you *need* that that 3G won't?

Have you seen the speed of 4G? I am sure if iPhone did have 4G LTE, you would be saying completely different thing. So why do you "need" 3G when 2G will do the same. Why do you "need" broadband when dial-up can do the same. Just because you "think" you have no need for it, doesn't mean millions of other people don't need it either.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Have you seen the speed of 4G? I am sure if iPhone did have 4G LTE, you would be saying completely different thing. So why do you "need" 3G when 2G will do the same. Why do you "need" broadband when dial-up can do the same.

That's one of the biggest issues. I've had 4G+ at 50Mb/s since Dec 2009. Everything else seems somewhat annoying. Not in a condescending way, but in a less-developed way that makes one question infrastructure priorities.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Breaking news: At some indeterminate point in time in the future Apple will release an updated version of it's popular iPhone. Some features, specifically which are unknown at this time, will be improved and others will not.

Aviboy97

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'm really getting tired of these iPhone 5 rumors. Every one seems to contradict the other. Lets face it. No one knows anything yet!!

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
I don't know why anyone is doubting this is going to be a big upgrade.

Firstly after attena-gate, I highly doubt they will keep that design aspect of the phone the same.

Secondly, this refresh is coming months later than usual for previous phones, so they have had longer to develop it.

And finally, the iphone 4 is starting to get quite behind the competition hardware wise, and if apple's refreshes are going to only be 12-18 months then when they launch a new phone it has to be quite ahead of the competition so that throughout the cycle it can still stay near the top.

I agree with you on the longer refresh cycle, but disagree on antennagate. The iPhone 4 has been Apple's best selling iPhone, with the greatest longevity. It's sales are still strong more than a year after its introduction. Other models dropped of significantly in the second half of their release cycle. This has a lot to do with adding a Verizon model, but AT&T sales remain strong too. The average consumer does not care about "antennagate". It's not a big deal, certainly not a reason to change the design. If the design changes, and it looks like it will, this won't be the reason.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
these 'analyst' read the same rumors as us and make predictions and get paid; I wish I could know how to get a job like that :rolleyes:

CottageDream

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
I definitely believe that the next iPhone will have a curved form, like the teardrop design, rather than something like that of the iPhone 4.

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
I'm really getting tired of these iPhone 5 rumors. Every one seems to contradict the other. Lets face it. No one knows anything yet!!

This is MacRumors... But I would like to see this and other sites start tracking or keeping a score card on the analysts, speculators, insiders.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I don't know why anyone is doubting this is going to be a big upgrade.

Firstly after attena-gate, I highly doubt they will keep that design aspect of the phone the same.

Secondly, this refresh is coming months later than usual for previous phones, so they have had longer to develop it.

And finally, the iphone 4 is starting to get quite behind the competition hardware wise, and if apple's refreshes are going to only be 12-18 months then when they launch a new phone it has to be quite ahead of the competition so that throughout the cycle it can still stay near the top.

I totally agree on this. But what should we expect.

I doubt LTE will be there due to the compromises the current tech needs, plus it is irrelevant to so many customers throughout the world as 4G network coverage is still in its infancy.

There may be a bigger screen, but hopefully it doesn't mean a bigger device. All those 4"+ Androids look huge.

If there is a redesign as I expect, I'm sure there will be a totally revised antenna functionality.

Hopefully it will also be more comfortable to hold than the current design. I have a bumper on my iPhone 4 mainly because it is uncomfortable to hold without it. That the current design is also too fragile with the exposed glass is another reason for the bumper.

Apart from that, a speed bump plus all the new iOS5 functions.

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I was thinking that there was no way they could improve on the iPhone 4's design until I saw that mockup. That thing is sexy.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Makes sense. Apple won't just standby and watch competitors pass by the iPhone and just play the catch up with specs.

Can't wait for it:)

benjs

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008

Apple seems perfectly content with not having the best spec'ed hardware, or the limited feature set, etc.

What they excel in is a near-flawless marriage of hardware and software, and a feature-set included that will not degrade the user experience at the end of the day. Some examples include Flash integration (how many mobile users are thrilled with the performance of Flash?) and true multi-tasking (which Apple recognized could not have been implemented without a negative impact on battery life and performance - both of which are very real, as I can tell you as a jailbroken iPhone user with true multi-tasking). While other companies seem to focus their energy on putting a dual-core processor in, Apple focuses on how they can further enhance the user experience at the end of the day. This is why I will buy an Apple product over a better-spec'ed product.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK

Some people know, but they are not the only ones talking. Rumours are all part of the anticipation of Apple releases. It wouldn't be the same without them, that is why I come to Mac Rumors.

sunspot42

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
I wonder...

I definitely believe that the next iPhone will have a curved form, like the teardrop design, rather than something like that of the iPhone 4.

I'm wondering if maybe the new, slim, teardrop design is a revised, cost-reduced replacement for the 3GS. It would essentially have the same specs as the existing iPhone 4, perhaps with a slightly larger screen.

The new iPhone 4GS would come in a case visually similar to the existing iPhone 4's, only slightly larger, with a thinner bezel, incorporating a larger screen. It would have boosted hardware, comparable to that of the iPad 2, and sport improved battery life over the existing models.

LTE will come with a totally new design sometime next summer, as the iPhone 5.

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
As much as I love it, I'm starting to accept that it won't have iPhone 4's form factor. A part of me is hoping this isn't true but the rational side is saying yes. Furthermore, to me, LTE isn't that much of a deal breaker considering the limited space that LTE covers. i'm just hoping for a bigger screen real estate and spec bumps galore. Of course I wouldn't mind NFC love but i can dream. I definitely want to buy. I can't wait for launch day =]

benjs

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008

Personally, I think the teardrop design will just prove to be a new iPod touch, which has been updated every September since its conception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.