Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TShirtJohn

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Just going through my OS drive to see how i can cut down on files.... i know I installed lots of programs at one point that i never use anymore

but can across a folder on my drive marked MobileSync

I've attached a screenshot of the folder info.... seems like maybe sometime i setup ages ago but never use? It's taking up alot of space so safe to delete or what?

Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-02 at 18.53.19.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-02 at 18.53.19.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 3,670

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I would tread lightly deleting folders you don't understand. I mean there are printer drivers you can dump for a quick 3 gig and you are considering going after something when you don't know the consequences?

I admit 21 gig is a tempting "payback" but I'd investigate more before you pull the trigger.

Why are you trying to free up disk space? It wouldn't be Lion related would it? Or are you trying to shoehorn your boot drive onto one of those less expensive SSDs? I have found it's a lot safer to move things like your iphoto library or itunes music to a firewire or usb drive. Just be careful moving the iphoto library. If your only copies of photos are in there, which they should not be, you run the risk that you break something by moving the file. What I've done now is put my photos on an external drive and when I add them to iPhoto, I uncheck the option to copy them to iPhoto library. Now I have an iPhoto library that is less than 1/20 the size of the photos I'm organizing. When you consider that I've got over 100 gig of photos being indexed, that's a good thing. Of course this means you can't go around willy nilly moving your photos around after you've added them to iPhoto or you risk losing links to metadata you've created such as events, faces and places.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
MobileSync is where your backups are stored for your iOS Devices. You can delete the backups you don't want inside iTunes. This includes iPads, iPhones, etc.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
MobileSync is where your backups are stored for your iOS Devices. You can delete the backups you don't want inside iTunes. This includes iPads, iPhones, etc.

Thanks for clearing this up. I wouldn't want to delete them as I want to be able to restore my iPad or iPhone if something happens.

TShirtJohn

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yup went into iTunes and deleted all backups.... had some going back several years.....

2 iphones... but several replacements, 4 ipod touches, 3 ipads.... you can guess how many backups was in itunes haha

Well deleted the backups and the folder dropped to 8kb lol

I'll plug the devices back in to a backup later but doubt it will be anywhere near the 20 odd gig

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.