Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Cancelled my account when I got the notice. Too many other things to watch already to need a Netflix account. DirectTV on demand and DVR service, HBO GO, Hulu.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The cynic in me wonders how long they will permit this, 'threatening to them', option remain. :confused:

I was surprised they let me extend it -- I wasn't expecting that. I think their thinking is that after a few months, people will miss it and come back, and the threshold is low, since they don't have to sign up again or create a new queue.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As I've previously stated if you are interested in new releases, Netflix streaming is NOT an option. Most of the stuff available is old or semi-new and a flop. At one point I had Blockbuster home delivery. I need to see what kind of streaming they currently offer if any.

I've not read every reply in this thread, but what are the best options to replace Netflix?

1. DVD delivery

2. Streaming content new media (movies/tv).

3. Streaming content old media (movies/tv).

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've not read every reply in this thread, but what are the best options to replace Netflix?
None are a perfect match for Netflix and none are perfect period, but here are some of your choices for DVD rentals or movie streaming/downloads:
Not to mention going to first-run movies in theaters and older movies at film festivals.

Who did I forget?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
None are a perfect match for Netflix and none are perfect period, but here are some of your choices for DVD rentals or movie streaming/downloads:
Not to mention going to first-run movies in theaters and older movies at film festivals.

Who did I forget?
Going to a movie theater is not a good option for us, since my wife needs English subtitles to get much out of the film. Do you know if there are any streaming services currently that support subtitles? I know Netflix has burned-in subtitles for some or all foreign language films, but what about English language films? Netflix has been saying for years that they were "working on it" but nothing so far AFAIK.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Going to a movie theater is not a good option for us, since my wife needs English subtitles to get much out of the film. Do you know if there are any streaming services currently that support subtitles?
Are you talking about closed captioning for movies in English or about English subtitles for movies in other languages?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Are you talking about closed captioning for movies in English or about English subtitles for movies in other languages?
Actually both. My wife is Korean but wants to watch some English movies and needs subtitles/closed captioning to get much out of the movie. We both need English subtitles for anything else, but I find that closed captioning is valuable even for me for English movies.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Actually both. My wife is Korean but wants to watch some English movies and needs subtitles/closed captioning to get much out of the movie. We both need English subtitles for anything else, but I find that closed captioning is valuable even for me for English movies.

Hulu does support subtitles on a lot of its content. I haven't paid for Hulu+, but if you watch TV programming, it's probably worth it. My take on it:

1) The streaming is not nearly robust as Netflix's Silverlight implementation. If your data speeds are not top notch (e.g. slow DSL), I think there's a lot more stuttering on Hulu than there is on Netflix. On the other hand, Hulu definitely supports awesomeness on sufficient bandwidth.

2) Hulu has a really nice full screen app -- very usable and nicely designed.

3) Their movie selection is not particularly useful. You're really paying for the TV episodes.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
iTunes offers closed captioning and subtitles on some rentable movies, but it's hit or miss. You'll have to read the individual movie descriptions or watch for the CC symbol to know which have these features.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Hulu does support subtitles on a lot of its content. I haven't paid for Hulu+, but if you watch TV programming, it's probably worth it. My take on it:

1) The streaming is not nearly robust as Netflix's Silverlight implementation. If your data speeds are not top notch (e.g. slow DSL), I think there's a lot more stuttering on Hulu than there is on Netflix. On the other hand, Hulu definitely supports awesomeness on sufficient bandwidth.

2) Hulu has a really nice full screen app -- very usable and nicely designed.

3) Their movie selection is not particularly useful. You're really paying for the TV episodes.
Are you saying that Netflix now actually support subtitles for streaming content? I have not seen any announcement about that. Is it only for PC/Mac or also for set top boxes like ATV2? I was under the impression that they still had no support at all.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Are you saying that Netflix now actually support subtitles for streaming content? I have not seen any announcement about that. Is it only for PC/Mac or also for set top boxes like ATV2? I was under the impression that they still had no support at all.

I was saying Hulu has captioning.

Netflix's captioning features are described here:

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/02/30-of-netflix-streaming-content-has.html

It includes info on how it works on computers and on devices (some, but not all, support captions). And there's a link to see the list of content that has captions as well.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Who did I forget?

Thanks for the list. I'll ponder it. :)
I'm aggravated that Netflix has basically decided to double their rates. The two components are new releases, and lots of old tv content plus sizable old movie content (but not all). It seems like no other single source offers this.

Hulu+ seems to be mostly tv shows?

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Sadly, I feel this is a bad move for Netflix. Increasing the cost for DVD rentals is going to push the demand for piracy higher. The good side of this is that another company can gain the potential of undercutting the DVD mail and digital delivery service. The bad side of that is if that company does not force Netflix to reduce their prices, Netflix's bubble may pop.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If Netflix didn't strip all the "extras" off the DVDs, I'd feel more inclined to pay these new fees for rentals.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Sadly, I feel this is a bad move for Netflix. Increasing the cost for DVD rentals is going to push the demand for piracy higher. The good side of this is that another company can gain the potential of undercutting the DVD mail and digital delivery service. The bad side of that is if that company does not force Netflix to reduce their prices, Netflix's bubble may pop.

I think this is a worst case scenario survival move from Netflix. Their original streaming contracts are coming to an end soon (next year or two) and I really doubt all the networks & studios are going to ask for less money in the future. One analyst estimates Netflix might have to pay ten times more to license content in 2012 than it did in 2010 (1.98 billion vs 180 million, CNN.com). Netflix is also going to start advertising it's DVD-in-the-mail service again which is something it had moved away from.

I think Netflix is bracing for the possibility of expensive licensing battles that could leave it with less streaming content than it currently has and thus a need for the disc service to be a stronger point of revenue again.

Lethal

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
What will happen to my account history if I drop rental DVDs and go only with the streaming service? I like having records of my history of rentals, the queue of movies I'd like to rent, and the ratings I've given to movies I've rented. I'm wondering if they'll keep all of that data in my account or purge the part based on DVD rentals.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
What will happen to my account history if I drop rental DVDs and go only with the streaming service? I like having records of my history of rentals, the queue of movies I'd like to rent, and the ratings I've given to movies I've rented. I'm wondering if they'll keep all of that data in my account or purge the part based on DVD rentals.

I originally had a Netflix account that I cancelled a few years ago. When i purchased my Apple TV, I reactivated my account, but without DVD's. I just checked my history, and they still have an account of my previous Rental Activity (from 2007). I had to dig for that and finally found it under My Account & Help. I don't see my previous queue of rentals. Though, when I re-upped I hadn't had an account in years, so it may be different if you change now.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Which is correct?
  1. If you are currently signed up for the old hybrid plan (rentals and streaming) and do not change your account settings by September 1, Netflix will assume you want both plans and start charging you the higher rate.

2. If you are currently signed up for the old hybrid plan (rentals and streaming) and do not change your account settings by the day of your monthly billing cycle, Netflix will assume you want both plans and start charging you the higher rate.
The account page in Netflix seems to say it's #2, but all of the articles in the media are warning customers that it's #1 (example, example, example, example).

Are all the news reports wrong?

I'm not interested in paying their much higher hybrid rate so I will cancel my rental plan and go purely to streaming. But my billing date is late in the month and I might as well watch rentals until I have to cancel. Lots of other subscribers must have the same situation.

Not a big deal, but does anybody know?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I think your current plan continues until your bill cycle ends, not immediately.

Which is correct?
  1. If you are currently signed up for the old hybrid plan (rentals and streaming) and do not change your account settings by September 1, Netflix will assume you want both plans and start charging you the higher rate.

2. If you are currently signed up for the old hybrid plan (rentals and streaming) and do not change your account settings by the day of your monthly billing cycle, Netflix will assume you want both plans and start charging you the higher rate.
The account page in Netflix seems to say it's #2, but all of the articles in the media are warning customers that it's #1 (example, example, example, example).

I'm not interested in paying their much higher hybrid rate so I will cancel my rental plan and go purely to streaming. But my billing date is late in the month and I might as well watch rentals until I have to cancel. Lots of other subscribers must have the same situation.

RWinOR

macrumors 6502
Which is correct?

The new rate goes into affect the first billing cycle after the 1st of Sept. If you have already paid your August rate then go ahead and change it, the plan and rate will not change until you are billed again. I changed mine about a week ago to drop dvd rentals. I only will pay streaming in Sept. However since I had paid my membership for 8/16 to 9/15 I can sell select and received DVD's up until my next bill.

Hope this helps.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The new rate goes into affect the first billing cycle after the 1st of Sept. If you have already paid your August rate then go ahead and change it, the plan and rate will not change until you are billed again. I changed mine about a week ago to drop dvd rentals. I only will pay streaming in Sept. However since I had paid my membership for 8/16 to 9/15 I can sell select and received DVD's up until my next bill.

Hope this helps.
Yes it does. It makes sense and it tells me what to do. Thanks.

It's not much of a surprise that some news reports were less than accurate and leaned toward the alarmist side.

By the way, when you cancel the rental plan they give you 7 days after your new plan starts to return any DVDs you have.

ColdFlame87

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
Netflix splitting into two separate services.

So I just received and e-mail from Reed Hasting (Co-Founder/CEO) of Netflix stating that they are opening a whole new service dedicated to mailing DVD's and games titled Qwikster and keeping Netflix a Stream-only service. This truly is shocking news. I can't wait to see the backlash on this. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.