Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

2011-08-02-23-post-500x406.jpg

Engadget publishes a hands on with iCloud.com and the iWork beta. iCloud works as we described, acting as a replacement for MobileMe with Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Find My iPhone interfaces.

They go into a little more detail about how the iWork interface works on the web. iWork in iCloud is primarily a sync and download service, rather than an editing service:
You can't create iWork files using the iCloud web interface, but if you've enabled sync on your iOS device, documents you create will appear almost instantly on each app's respective webpage. From the Keynote tab, you can view and download each presentation as a Keynote file, PDF, or in PowerPoint format. Pages documents can be downloaded as Pages files, PDFs, or in Word format, and Numbers spreadsheets can be exported to the desktop version of Numbers, PDF, and Excel.
The following video show iWork editing and creation between the iOS apps and the iCloud web interface:

One interesting addition, however, is that users can upload documents to iCloud/iWork. This lets you quickly upload documents that will instantly sync back via iCloud to your iOS apps.

AppleInsider also notes that Apple is actively recruiting for an iWork web developer which could indicate they are working to further expand their web support for the iWork suite.

Article Link: iWork Details, Video Walkthrough and Document Uploading

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
That’s great, being able to download (or let others download?) all those other formats of your work, AS you work, with no manual conversion/export command needed.

And being able to upload (or let others upload?) to your iCloud from any old computer’s browser, and instantly have the file on your iPad/iPhone/Mac sounds great as well!

Given these features, I hope some kind of “guest access” is available, to help share in both directions with other (non-Apple) users/systems.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
What isn't clear is how this will work with Lion.

If it is a manual upload and download process via Safari, that will suck.

I hope this limited implementation is Apple trying to do a few things well at first, rather this being the next Ping—which works well but in such an oddly limited way it's not worth the effort.

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
What isn't clear is how this will work with Lion.

If it is a manual upload and download process via Safari, that will suck.

I hope this limited implementation is Apple trying to do a few things well at first, rather this being the next Ping—which works well but in such an oddly limited way it's not worth the effort.

Of source not, current version of iWork already has iWork.com implementation. It will be replaced by iCloud.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Why is the guy in the video so focused on how fast things show up in iCloud and transfer to other devices? It all depends on one's bandwidth.

agalenko

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
looks interesting. Hopefully they will add xcode to the list some day. Not sure though if I would use it instead of github.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Why is the guy in the video so focused on how fast things show up in iCloud and transfer to other devices? It all depends on one's bandwidth.

Is it just bandwidth? I got the impression that he was impressed by how quickly the iCloud server was keeping up with his iPhone.

frankk

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
I don't understand how this works with Lion integration. If you download a document to your desktop and work on it, will it be modified when viewed on an iOS device. I want to be able to work with ONE document that can modified on any device/computer...

MacPrime

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
I personally wish that the iOS equivalent of the iWork programs were free for those who bought the desktop versions. Never-the-less, these features look handy enough to make me consider purchasing iWork for my next iPhone.

Simmias

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
This is nice for my Mac and iPad, but what I really need is the ability to edit iWork documents on my work PC. Just some basic online editing capabilities, like Microsoft and Google, or *gasp* a Pages app for Windows. What good is it to download my Pages document in .doc format if I can't edit and re-upload it? It is far from seamless to share/edit documents by converting back and forth from Office to iWork.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I don't understand how this works with Lion integration. If you download a document to your desktop and work on it, will it be modified when viewed on an iOS device. I want to be able to work with ONE document that can modified on any device/computer...

Almost certainly the native iWork apps will he updated for Lion when iCloud launches.

I'm sure they would then sync with iCloud on launch of the application. And update on your iOS device as you go. And thanks to Versions, you won't really have to worry about overrides.

So you wouldn't have to download the file onto your Mac to modify or view it. It would just be there. This iCloud website is more for users on a PC or public or shared computer, and not their personal Mac.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
To See If It Works

He may just wanted to do a test to show both us & him that it actually works. Some syncs take hours even on a fast system. It would have helped you if he could have given some idea of his relative or actual speed.

ChainsawBuddha

Cancelled
Jul 2, 2008
Texas
I really wish I could edit the documents on the icloud site similar to google docs or other variants.

Wait for it... 1... 2... 3... thats the sound of people negging my post.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
iWork 2011 where were you?

Almost certainly the native iWork apps will he updated for Lion when iCloud launches.

I'm sure they would then sync with iCloud on launch of the application. And update on your iOS device as you go. And thanks to Versions, you won't really have to worry about overrides.

So you wouldn't have to download the file onto your Mac to modify or view it. It would just be there. This iCloud website is more for users on a PC or public or shared computer, and not their personal Mac.

Until Apple put iWork on the iPad it appeared as if the lack of an iWork '11 was because iWork has come to the End of Life, EOL. There is some hope now. Not much more. Apple cold just use iWork to compete with Dpcments to Go & other programs in its class. It can be used for some simple iPad spreadsheets, documents & presentations but mainly to allow the reading & hopefully writing of MS Office & pdf files. The iWork reading & writing is just because the program started life as a Mac program, but now is just an iToy program.

Time will tell. iWork = iToy.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I really wish I could edit the documents on the icloud site similar to google docs or other variants.

Nothing to neg at all. You are completely right. It would be excellent if iOS and Lion were all in sync with my pages and keynote documents, which could then also be edited online, even with less functionality.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Has anyone experimented (or read documentation) to see whether the content updates it sends to iCloud are delta updates?

I have to imagine they are, at least as you actively work on something. Otherwise it would be constantly uploading the entire document over and over. Still, it would be neat to see someone open something like a 100MB Keynote file and change a word or two and see how long that takes to update.

And if the first edit takes a long time, then see if subsequent edits (while the file remains open) are faster.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Nothing to neg at all. You are completely right. It would be excellent if iOS and Lion were all in sync with my pages and keynote documents, which could then also be edited online, even with less functionality.

Well, if all the changes are pushed automatically to all your devices, then aren't you effectively "working on the cloud version" of the document at all times? If all devices are linked to the cloud, I don't see the difference between that and editing a document that is only stored on the cloud (Google Docs). Maybe I'm missing something, but the only difference seems to be that your machine saves a local copy while saving changes to the cloud.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
iCloud beta seems to be showing promise. If it operates as promised, I can see it potentially being a boon to our associates when they are in the field.

We've swapped Office with iWork and had zero problems at our firm. Most of our clients use Windows and so far have never suspected we use anything other than Office.

Occasionally, we run into viruses.....in Word docs sent to us. Thankfully, we are all Macs. We use a virus scanner that flags the viruses, thus preventing us from the embarrassment of passing along infected files to clients.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
The interface usually stinks. I always marvel, when in Google Docs, that you can actually do this, like making a dog learn how to sing. They can do it, just not very well. Give me a computer. An iOS device for short work. If God meant us to edit in a browser, he would have written us in javascript.

iCloud beta seems to be showing promise. If it operates as promised, I can see it potentially being a boon to our associates when they are in the field.

We've swapped Office with iWork and had zero problems at our firm. Most of our clients use Windows and so far have never suspected we use anything other than Office.

Occasionally, we run into viruses.....in Word docs sent to us. Thankfully, we are all Macs. We use a virus scanner that flags the viruses, thus preventing us from the embarrassment of passing along infected files to clients.

It's not completely full-featured, if you take Word as the standard, but it's very sleek and usable for most things. If you're writing a thesis, with a thousand footnotes, and illustrations, and multiple parallel columns -- a page layout program -- you can use Word. Most of the time it's way too bloated for what I need.

Has anyone experimented (or read documentation) to see whether the content updates it sends to iCloud are delta updates?

I have to imagine they are, at least as you actively work on something. Otherwise it would be constantly uploading the entire document over and over. Still, it would be neat to see someone open something like a 100MB Keynote file and change a word or two and see how long that takes to update.

And if the first edit takes a long time, then see if subsequent edits (while the file remains open) are faster.

I think I remember hearing Jobs say that. Really, it's part of Versions, which is delta too. So, you change a paragraph and seconds later your backup and your iCloud gets the delta and adds it to your file a few seconds later. That way, it doesn't take up too much bandwidth. And your Time Machine backup, and the full series of Versions, are on the computer and the external hard drive, too. And once it's on iCloud, the file gets to your iPhone or iPad. That's what's cool for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Well, if all the changes are pushed automatically to all your devices, then aren't you effectively "working on the cloud version" of the document at all times? If all devices are linked to the cloud, I don't see the difference between that and editing a document that is only stored on the cloud (Google Docs). Maybe I'm missing something, but the only difference seems to be that your machine saves a local copy while saving changes to the cloud.

How about working on it from a Windows machine... or a machine that isn't yours? The benefits of actually working on a document just through a browser are numerous, just as webmail has uses and applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.