Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
That's precisely why I don't think this story is true. Why would they add Netflix to the AppleTV when they knew this was in the near future? It doesn't make sense.

I think this is just more analyst BS.

Apple may or may not release something like this, only time will tell. However, if this is true and has been the plan for awhile, Apple would have still put netflix access on the ATV2 as a temporary measure. They had to make it marketable and give it functionality that made people want to buy it. Some people still would have, including me, but a lot of people would not have made the plunge.

Netflix could have been a placeholder all along until their service and iCloud was ready to go. Personally, I just want the service with the best library and best streaming experience.

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
As rentals are there now, it only seems the next step. Surely it will be another addition, it would suit regions without Netflix, like the UK

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Of course that will be the end of Netflix on Apple tv, they don't want any competition for your money.

But think about it, it does make sense. Apple wants 100% control over what is sold for their devices. They want a 100% closed, Apple owned and operated system. They want all of your money, not just some of it. And that is what their goal is and they are quickly moving in that direction. They will offer many service for a monthly or yearly fee. All software will be purchased thru the App store, etc, etc.

As many as they do now, maybe more. The Apple consumer is brainwashed to accept anything the company does, because they make pretty things and they just work. If it was any other company, the fanboys would have their panties in a bunch over this.

LOL! We're brainwashed?

I don't see a downside to Apple wanting to bring us more services, offer ease of use, and do it in a way that is secure and reliable. If the price is right and the rest lines up... they can have my money for this type of stuff. Why not? All I want is things to work and be at a price I can afford. If that happens to all come from Apple... so be it. It's not right now, but again, if the price is right, I'm in.

Maybe instead of calling Fanboys brainwashed, maybe you should focus on why other companies can't seem to get their act together and really compete?

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
we believe Apple has unannounced deals with all/most of the studios/TV networks

Something like this should not be prefaced with "we believe...". There's too many people involved for this to be kept so hush.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
LOL! We're brainwashed?

I don't see a downside to Apple wanting to bring us more services, offer ease of use, and do it in a way that is secure and reliable. If the price is right and the rest lines up... they can have my money for this type of stuff. Why not? All I want is things to work and be at a price I can afford. If that happens to all come from Apple... so be it. It's not right now, but again, if the price is right, I'm in.

Maybe instead of calling Fanboys brainwashed, maybe you should focus on why other companies can't seem to get their act together and really compete?

See what I mean?

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
They don't have to kill Netflix off the device, NOR be cheaper. They only have to close Netflix's major complaint, very spotty recent, blockbuster/popular titles available on streaming. If Apple closed significantly better content deals with content owners their service could be much better and thus justify a higher price.

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Will this mean that they will remove Netflix from the AppleTV? I hope not.

I honestly don't think so. You can rent/buy from iTunes some of the same content that is available on Netflix.

As other's have noted, it's going to come down to content. I also feel the easy of use and inter-connectivity between devices might sway people to drop Netflix and put all their eggs in Apple's basket... if these rumors are true.

Apple could just be staying with the rent/buy episode or movie model. These negotiations are likely just for more content and repeat streaming rights.

Look at all the rumors a while back about an all you can eat music streaming service that didn't come to fruition. I'm very skeptical they will pass on the music only turn right around and offer offer it for video.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Stop yer complaining. We've got NHK and all those great "tarento" variety shows. :D

Seriously, let's hope Apple can get deals in place that won't shut Japan and the rest of the world out.

My wife was once happy to have at least NHK ... That was the only channel via satellite in Germany ... Lucky back now in Japan she can enjoy all those shows and I watch The Simpsons on DVD .. D'oh

Want to say: also the Japanese content should be available around the globe ... Same as for other counties. I know it's a dream

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
Please please please please

Don't forget that the issue is content. If apple, with all the money in the world, can get access to better content then they will win against any service - regardless of price. How nice would it be if hollywood trusts apple to store their content and then apple charges us for access. I'd ditch cable and netflix in a second.

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
I can see ATV having multiple streamers.
I would like to see BBC iplayer on it too, I'm sure t's only a matter of time.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Don't forget that the issue is content. If apple, with all the money in the world, can get access to better content then they will win against any service - regardless of price. How nice would it be if hollywood trusts apple to store their content and then apple charges us for access. I'd ditch cable and netflix in a second.

Sooner or later the government will step in as Apple becomes a monopoly.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I know I will get downvoted for this - but whatever Apple plans - I sincerely hope that entities like Hulu and Netflix can continue to thrive.

The thought that "all" media being controlled by one company - no matter WHAT company that is - is NOT good and downright scary.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I know I will get downvoted for this - but whatever Apple plans - I sincerely hope that entities like Hulu and Netflix can continue to thrive.

The thought that "all" media being controlled by one company - no matter WHAT company that is - is NOT good and downright scary.

Who do you think controls Hulu?

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
But think about it, it does make sense. Apple wants 100% control over what is sold for their devices. They want a 100% closed, Apple owned and operated system. They want all of your money, not just some of it. And that is what their goal is and they are quickly moving in that direction. They will offer many service for a monthly or yearly fee. All software will be purchased thru the App store, etc, etc.

As many as they do now, maybe more. The Apple consumer is brainwashed to accept anything the company does, because they make pretty things and they just work. If it was any other company, the fanboys would have their panties in a bunch over this.

1. give me one good reason outside of personal hate toward apple, and style preferences... that you feel that investing(as a consumer) in apple is a bad idea?

2. i think that trolls have adopted a notion that "anything dominant is bad"... so if cheerios is the popular brand of cereal, we should reject it and buy off-brand "wheat hoops"... to show that we're not sheep..

in the end, apple has control of the 3rd party peripheral markets(around their devices), dominant control on phone, tablet, mp3 player and digital media distribution... and now cloud is a high priority...and all of their functionality is 1st party developed outside of appstore apps

sure if you're an apple customer, you're paying a bit more than the non-apple customers, but thats a choice we all make.. we're not forced to make it

you gotta admit that if you look elsewhere, you're going to have huge voids.. but maybe your pride will overcompensate for the inferior customer experience

customers want to stick to one brand on certain things... and because of that, companies have to keep delivering a high/competitive quality of service...LOOK AT BLACKBERRY... the "sheeps" have moved toward android and apple b/c RIM was too complacent over the last decade.. the same would happen to apple if they sat on cruise control..

Last edited:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Great, now that Netflix isn't as much of a deal as it used to be. I hope that Apple makes their service smoother than what I already get with Netflix.

Having all their services bundled together would be a boon too.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Personally, I doubt it, but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. If this is for real, let's hope they have better content than what's happened to Netflix (who has removed a significant amount of streaming content in the past couple of months, 20+ movies in my instant queue alone).

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
I can't wait to see iTunes Replay deliver the deathblow to Netflix. By no stretch of the imagination can a one-trick pony like Netflix have a higher valuation on Wall Street than Apple. Someone has got to put an end to Wall Street's wacky valuations based on absolutely nothing substantial. How the hell can Netflix have a share price of $250 or so with a P/E of 63 based on some streaming capabilities that I'm sure even Amazon can beat? Netflix is has a decent service and all that but to have it priced that freakin' high is all out of proportion with sanity. They claim that Apple's share price is freakin' overvalued and yet Netflix isn't. WTF are these market manipulators trying to pull?

Apple could easily build a better infrastructure, cut all the content deals and use just a portion of the iTunes account holders participation and absolutely blow Netflix out of the water. There isn't even anything that Netflix could fall back on as a safeguard. If iTunes Replay can't put pressure on Netflix then Apple is just wasting its time in the content delivery business. Apple should simply spend $5 billion or so of its reserve cash and quickly buy up some major studios and that will end the free ride of Netflix. Apple won't even have to grab any outside subscribers with 200 million iTunes accounts on tap streaming to an easy 200+ million iOS devices. How the hell can Wall Street even compare Netflix to the size of iTunes is totally beyond my understanding.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
this... as long as apple can make it affordable... they already charge $5 a pop for HD rentals..

what if apple launched their own cable company or bought a market leader?! :eek:... i think apple is trying to take over the cable television experience and blow Hulu out of the water by not only having the channels available with a better UI, but allowing you to watch seasons on demand instead of hand picked episodes from comcast/etc

apple is starting to really become dominant

Anything is better the Comcast.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not Apple of course, but it's also very close to "being controlled by one big …" don't you think?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. So I'm not sure my reply is relevant to your post.

But Hulu is niche. They aren't into music, books, etc. Yes - Universal has their own music publishing and literary division. But they don't deal with EVERY other entity/publisher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.