Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new Mac Minis launched last month showed significant performance gains in the benchmarks, easily outpacing the prior models. Teardowns showed how easy it would be to install a second hard drive. For $1400, owners can upgrade their Minis to 16GB of RAM.

Now, Other World Computing has installed a couple of their OWC Mercury EXTREME 6G SSD drives in their 2011 Mac Mini and achieved some significant speed boosts.

MacminiSSDtests6G.jpg

The chart above shows the average read/write speeds as reported by QuickBench in four increasingly beneficial drive configurations in our 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 Mac mini (RAID 0 configuration results obtained from a 2.0GHz Intel Core i7 Mac mini Server as that is the only machine that comes factory stock with two available drive ports.)
Here's the breakdown:
- "With the factory stock 5400RPM hard drive, which is what most people are used to computing with, the Mac mini goes pretty fast achieving read/write speeds around 86MB/s - consistently above the maximum rated 80MB/s of an external FireWire 800 connection."

- "Apple does offer their own 256GB SSD option (a $600 add-on which isn't available on the 2.3GHz base model) which boosts the average speed to an impressive 210MB/s read and 182MB/s write."

- "There's just no substitute for a SATA Revision 3.0 capable SSD such as the OWC Mercury EXTREME 6G SSD. The speeds are well over twice as fast boasting 506MB/s read speeds and 432MB/s write speeds from a single drive!"

- "We tested two OWC Mercury EXTREME 6G SSD in a RAID 0 configuration (on the server model of Mac mini - again we're looking into how to get a second hard drive into the consumer model, but that will be another blog post down the road after we figure it all out) we got Thunderbolt-saturating speeds averaging 995MB/s and 994MB/s for read and write speeds respectively."
For users looking to upgrade their 2011 Mac Mini as much as possible, replacing the internal HDD with a SSD looks to be a good -- albeit not cheap -- first step.

Article Link: OWC SSDs Turn the 2011 Mac Mini Into a Powerhouse

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Ideally I'd probably stick a small-ish SSD in there (120GB), and then add a 2TB Thunderbolt drive (when they come out).

What would really be cool is one of those Mini expansion drives from Newertech, but with a Thunderbolt connection transmitting everything in one cable.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the mini could be a viable upgrade option for me and my 2006 Mac Pro.

Go for the Quad Core Mac Mini server, with dual SSDs in RAID 0 and 8GB of RAM and you're in business.
Shame the video on the quad core is intel only though.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
- "We tested two OWC Mercury EXTREME 6G SSD in a RAID 0 configuration (on the server model of Mac mini - again we're looking into how to get a second hard drive into the consumer model, but that will be another blog post down the road after we figure it all out)…

This would make the graph a bit misleading, though. Since the Server version has a different proc and other components, that would skew the results a bit, I would think. Why not just use the server one for all the tests, thereby removing all the variables except for the actual hard drives?

workerbee52

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2011
Bricoleur
Solution aren't far way

As soon as Village Instruments makes a Thunderbolt ViDock all these issues will be solved, access to a real graphics card plus additional ports ... I can't wait.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
This is making me consider grabbing one of these (although upgrading would be expensive).
This little bugger is pretty powerful!

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
This is making me consider grabbing one of these (although upgrading would be expensive).
This little bugger is pretty powerful!

Or replace the 5400rpm drive with a 7200rpm 750GB drive for $99.

How often are you really accessing the hard drive after the app launches?

SSDs are great, if you have unlimited money to spend.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

"SSD drives"? Come on MacRumors, you guys are better than that.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

You'd be amazed how often an app can access the drive while running. Loading from web browser cache for example. In theory though, web browsers could use a bit of foresight and have cache for commonly visited sites load in the background so when you visit the sites, the data is already in-RAM, but I don't believe they do this.

DaftMonk

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I chuckled a bit at this too. :rolleyes:

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the mini could be a viable upgrade option for me and my 2006 Mac Pro.

I did this myself earlier this year.

I had the quad core 2006 Mac Pro with dual monitors.

I picked up the 2009 Mac mini from Apple's refurb list which runs 2 monitors out of the box.

For the 4 hard drives I had in the Mac Pro, I picked up a couple of Other World Computing's "OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual Drive" enclosures.

Works pretty well.

I think when the time comes, I'll replace the 2009 Mac mini with the recently released 2011 Mac mini server which comes with the quad core i7 processor and 2 internal 7200rpm drives pre-installed.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC

Well - excuse me while I run to the ATM machine and enter my PIN number.....

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Well - excuse me while I run to the ATM machine and enter my PIN number.....

Hope you keep that PIN secure - mine's under lock and key in a password protected Tar archive.

Really BeSweeet, I know technically you're correct, but I really suspect "SSD drive" will find its way into common usage as one of those redundant terms, and tbh I don't really have a problem with that.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

Quite a few benchmarks have the quad-core Mini outperforming a 2008 Mac Pro!

GeekBench shows the quad-core Mini within spitting distance of the low-end Mac Pro from 2010; not far behind the 2008 eight core Mac Pro.

Heck, the 11" MacBook Air (with upgraded CPU,) comes pretty darned close to the 2008 8-core Mac Pro! (The SSD as default probably helps a lot, though.)

utahnguy

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2009
Utah
Is this a joke?

That's got to be one of the most factually incorrect statements I've ever read on here. Usually you guys leave pretty intelligent comments, but this isn't one of them. And just to top it off, it has a +2 ranking as I'm writing this.

Hard drive bottlenecks have been the single tightest in computers for years. A Core 2 and 2 gigs of RAM is way more than the vast majority of people will ever use, yet most new computers are shipping with quad core processors and 4+ gigs of RAM, even though 99% of users will never see any benefit in speed while they continue using platter based hard drives. What good is a V12 when all you have is an intake the size of a straw feeding it air and only a trickle of gas making it's way into the cylinders? Even a hexacore processor is worthless if you're depending on the ~50 MB/sec read rate a 7200 RPM platter based hard drive provides.

SSD's are way more than worth their cost. Unless you're only using your computer for video editing, compiling, or any other extremely processor intensive task, virtually everyone using a computer would be far better off with a system running a Core 2 and a SSD than a system running a Core i7 and a platter based drive, even 2 10,000+ RPM Raptors in RAID0.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Does OWC pay to advertise in Mac-Rumors or something? Cause you've had quite a articles about OWC products in the past.

And I can't think of any other articles here about other companies RAM/SSD's etc put up here.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Does OWC pay to advertise in Mac-Rumors or something? Cause you've had quite a articles about OWC products in the past.

And I can't think of any other articles here about other companies RAM/SSD's etc put up here.

yeah...it's not like OWC is the only SSD manufacturer, or only OWC SSDs make a 2011 Mini a "powerhouse."

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001

Unlike other SSD manufacturers, OWC is very Mac centric. They carry mostly Mac products and most of their marketing is targeted towards Mac users. Many of their other products are even custom tailored for the Mac. But this aside, the OWC Mercury Extreme 6G is the fastest non-PCI SSD on the market currently.

johnhw

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
yeah...it's not like OWC is the only SSD manufacturer, or only OWC SSDs make a 2011 Mini a "powerhouse."

Well, the SSDs OWC sells are fast as hell..

but seriously, SSD drive? Solid State Drive Drive? :rolleyes:

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Clearly those making the big deal about SSD's have never had one in there system. They make a huge difference in almost everything you do. However, because MacRumors highlights them doesn't mean they are forcing anyone to go out and buy one. They provide information and for those that want the difference and can afford it then they can go buy one.

OWC is a great company and so what is the big deal if MacRumors features their products. Again they aren't forcing you to buy just OWC products. However, they don't need any ones permission to decide who they want to plug.

Also these OWC drives kick the crap out of the competition right now in terms of speed. YES, several of these SSD have been tested against them and so that was the point of this information. If you want blazing fast get the OWC SSD.

I have SSD in my Mac Mini 2011 and my 2009 MacBook Pro, I won't ever go back to a spindle drive. EVER!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.