Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJHello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I use a clorox disinfectant wipe on my keys and trackpad, yet I'm hesitant to wipe my screen. What do you use to clean the screen?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Dump the clorox...Too harsh....

Get some computer screen cleaner at BB, NON AMMONIA windex also good.

SPRAY ON COTTON/MF cloth, not on unit....wipe unit gently

Done

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I have a MacBook Pro, but I'm allowed to post, right? :eek:
I just use water and a micro fiber cloth.

lyrrad721

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I was very disappointed when I didn't see the Apple cleaning cloth when I opened my MBA's box :( I know I know, they're trying to bring costs down but still...

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
The best cleaner, is a new, or freshly washed microfiber cloth as sold in auto parts shops in the detail department. A pack of six or so is inexpensive and of surprisingly high quality, you simply dampen one corner in warm water and wipe your laptops display, then on to the rest of it.

I do this every few days, keeping it away from soft drinks or food, and it stays shiny and new. If you need anything stronger than warm water, you are being too hard on your computer.

For those who only feel good after they've spent some money, buy any of the "golly gee whiz" products.... :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I was very disappointed when I didn't see the Apple cleaning cloth when I opened my MBA's box :( I know I know, they're trying to bring costs down but still...

Only the Rev A came with that. I kept it when I sold it. That said, microfiber cleaning cloths are pretty cheap and available at any corner drug store.

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
On the chassis, simply 70% rubbing alcohol and water in a 50/50 solution. For the screen just water and a quality microfiber cloth. I use warm water if the dirt on the screen is stubborn. Been doing it for 20 years on all my portables (had 27 of them - 16 of them Macs) and so far no problems. :)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
You know what I find kind of annoying, the outer aluminum case of the Air attracts a lot of dust and such, especially the top when the laptops been closed for a day.

I also dislike how the palm rest area gets this white-ish stain from natural perspiration while working/typing on the laptop that I have to constantly wipe off.

=T

Anyway, like others, I use a micro fiber cloth with a tab of water.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Not all microfiber clothes are created equal

There is a huge difference among microfiber clothes.

I have found the 3M lens cleaning microfiber cloth to be unparalleled:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Microfiber...PSZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312436056&sr=8-1

The microscopic texture and configuration is so well designed that when you slide the cloth across your hand, you'll feel it snagging. It's actually get caught on the imperfect surface of your skin.

This and just water will do an amazing job cleaning.

Just make sure you clean the cloth and store it in a clean bag as it is so good at picking up debris, that you may unintentionally slide debris around your computer and cause scratches because of that.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Screen cleaning is a 2 step procedure. 1. feather duster to clean off dust and particles 2. iklear on a microfiber cloth.

Finally, i don't clean the screen too often. Maybe once every two or three weeks.

Paper towels are like fine sandpaper. They scratch plastic so avoid them.

Compressed air is a bad idea. It can send particles into undesirable areas. Once i got dust between the lcd panel and the backlight on my thinkpad x32. I was using compressed air on the keyboard and it pushed dirt up into the display.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
Thanks for all the advice on cleaning the screen.

(Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread.)

What I'm always concerned about is cruft getting under the keys of the keyboard:
  • How to clean the areas underneath the keys, without removing those keys beforehand?
  • Any tricks to prevent the cruft from getting in there in the first place?

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I use a microfiber cloth for dust and such and the Costco Lens Cleaner wipes for the screen and the keyboard keys. They work well and don't usually leave any streaks. I figure that if there good enough for my expensive sun glasses they'll work on the screen. I have noticed no scratches, but again, I use the microfiber cloth first to remove any larger dust particles that could scratch it first.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Thanks for all the advice on cleaning the screen.

(Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread.)

What I'm always concerned about is cruft getting under the keys of the keyboard:
  • How to clean the areas underneath the keys, without removing those keys beforehand?
  • Any tricks to prevent the cruft from getting in there in the first place?

I use the Moshi keyboard covers over my MBA and MBP. I got used to the feeling so I like them a lot.

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
I use a microfiber cloth for the screen and alcoholic swabs for the keyboard/case - this removes the grease/shine from the keys.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
- Clorox wipes on my keyboard (I have a keyboard protector so no harm)
- Lens wipe for my screen
- Water and microfiber wipe for the exterior

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Ignore the BS about using special cleaning products. Just use a lint free cloth, thats it. You can also use a damp wet cloth with water to clean, then use the lint free cloth to dry it - thats it - nothing expensive and damn simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.