Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
London
Question is the title really - I want to make ISO/VIDEO_TS rips of my DVDs and have FrontRow play them directly from the HDD.

I suspect that DRM will prevent this, so is there anything I can do? MacTheRipper seemed like a good idea, but the only version I can find requires PowerPC (that can't be right??)

iStoreGuy

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
I think your best option is to download the programme Handbrake, this will let you convert any DVD or DVD file to any format pretty much.

That way you can make it an iTunes format and place it in your library, then front row will see it.

Hope that helps. :)

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Front Row will also pick up VIDEO_TS folders placed in your Movies folder (or you can just put an alias in the Movies folder). Any DVD ripping software will remove the DRM from the files. I'd recommend RipIt or MakeMKV (which is free while in beta).

If you're thinking about upgrading to Lion, though, be aware that Front Row will no longer be available.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
London
Front Row will also pick up VIDEO_TS folders placed in your Movies folder (or you can just put an alias in the Movies folder). Any DVD ripping software will remove the DRM from the files. I'd recommend RipIt or MakeMKV (which is free while in beta).

If you're thinking about upgrading to Lion, though, be aware that Front Row will no longer be available.

It's a 2011 Mac Mini with Lion but I've already re-installed FrontRow and it works a treat in tandem with EyeTV for live telly. I had to downgrade to iTunes 10.3.x as FrontRow cannot read the iTunes 10.4 or greater library files. I played with Plex but integration with EyeTV is just too cumbersome for me. It's my guess that Apple are working on and will release a Media Centre app for Lion - they'd be crazy not to.

I specifically want to use VIDEO_TS as I want the full DVD menus where possible and to save the conversion time and effort.

I've used Handbrake and whilst it works well converting to iTunes formats, I have the whole of The West Wing and Morse to rip before handing the DVDs back to my ex-partner and neither the time nor the patience:) to convert via Handbrake.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
The app RipIt is your friend, it is cheap and works well. Will rip the whole DVD to a videoTS file.

That way if you want to later ( when you have time) you can put the videoTS through HB.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
London
The app RipIt is your friend, it is cheap and works well. Will rip the whole DVD to a videoTS file.

That way if you want to later ( when you have time) you can put the videoTS through HB.

Downloaded, trialled and bought. Thanks for the tip. Rips DVDs to FrontRow playable in about 15 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.