Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
Sweden - Halmstad
Hi!

I am out on vaccation now and cant touch my server fysically and i cant remote into it, so i would need something that restars the FTP services every 30 minutes, i was planning on working on some webprojects now but the FTP service stops working from time to time so cant connect to it.

So, an automatic service restarter?

jotade11

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
I have no clue what you might be using this for, or why you would need to start FTP (instead of leaving it to run), but perhaps a Cron Job would do the trick?

xper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
Sweden - Halmstad
I have no clue what you might be using this for, or why you would need to start FTP (instead of leaving it to run), but perhaps a Cron Job would do the trick?
FTP service on the server IS always on but it stops working after a while, only sollution to fix it is to stop and restart the FTP service in server admin.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
FTP service on the server IS always on but it stops working after a while, only sollution to fix it is to stop and restart the FTP service in server admin.

Something is wrong with your FTP or your server if you need to do that, but if you have to keep rebooting the FTP service then just set a cron job like jotade11 said.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
So rather than fix the underlying issue, you'll just keep restarting the server, consequently dropping active clients for no reason?

Even the most woefully inexperienced server admin should at least be able to find the cause of a crashing daemon. I find it hard to believe that someone developing "webprojects" wouldn't have some access to a remote shell. Moreover, any sort of monitoring process would have to be started by a privileged user, which would again require remote shell access.

Look at your logs, that's what they are for.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I haven't used FTP in years. It's a horribly insecure protocol.

Better to use sftp, which actually has nothing to do with FTP. It's an ssh feature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_File_Transfer_Protocol.

For that matter, if it's just you remoting-in to your own system, why not just use a VPN? Then you can just browse your system with Finder.

xper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
Sweden - Halmstad
So rather than fix the underlying issue, you'll just keep restarting the server, consequently dropping active clients for no reason?
You honestly think that i am working on some webproject on a live server with alot of active clients?

And by fixing the issue, you mean begging Apple to make a more stable FTP server on SL Server? Good luck with that.

Logs says nothing usefull, "illegal PORT command", when its not, a restart fix the issue.

This have happened 3 times in 2 years, but 2 of those happened when i had no access to the machine.

So restarting the FTP service on a devserver with 1-2 active clients that doesnt even notice when the FTP service is restarting is a really simple sollution and doesnt hurt anyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.