Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:04 PM   #51
TheRealTVGuy
macrumors regular

Good!

What is so hard about playing by Apple's rules?

From JailBreaking to Slot Selling, why can't some people just play the way you're supposed to?

I love how people agree to the rules in order to download developer software, or activate their i-device, and then moan & groan when they are punished for not following the rules they agreed to!

I play by Apple's rules (and also don't use torrents or Napster-ish programs) and I absolutely LOVE my Apple devices and digital lifestyle.

If you don't want to play by the rules, or if iOS doesn't provide you with what you need (tethering, file system, notifications, etc.) Go elsewhere!

Please!
TheRealTVGuy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:04 PM   #52
diddl14
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumsetDan13 View Post
omg this happened to me last night! I lost my mind.

What happened was that I legally paid for a dev account but then decided that it wasn't for me, got a refund by apple but still had ios 5 beta 2 running. I should of been notified before losing almost everything on my phone, not smart by apple to do that to people who did actually pay.
Not smart to buy a developer account when you have no clue what it is you are doing.
diddl14 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:07 PM   #53
delonh92
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealTVGuy View Post
What is so hard about playing by Apple's rules?

From JailBreaking to Slot Selling, why can't some people just play the way you're supposed to?

I love how people agree to the rules in order to download developer software, or activate their i-device, and then moan & groan when they are punished for not following the rules they agreed to!

I play by Apple's rules (and also don't use torrents or Napster-ish programs) and I absolutely LOVE my Apple devices and digital lifestyle.

If you don't want to play by the rules, or if iOS doesn't provide you with what you need (tethering, file system, notifications, etc.) Go elsewhere!

Please!
Some of us are natural geeks and want to tinker with our device. I for one, like the feature of iOS 5 and want to try it out, but don't have $99 to throw down.

Last edited by delonh92; Aug 5, 2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo
delonh92 is offline   -10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:09 PM   #54
nutmac
macrumors 68020

As a developer running iOS 5 on my phone, I strongly urge non developers to refrain from spending the expense (albeit minor) and trouble obtaining iOS 5 beta. There just are too many issues, ranging from stability of the OS itself (random shutdown, performance, app crashes) to numerous incompatibility issues with 3rd party applications. The official release is probably just 1-2 months away.
nutmac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:09 PM   #55
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by delonh92 View Post
Some of us are natural geeks and want to tinker with our device. I for one, like the feature of iOS 5 and want to try it out, but don't have $99 to throw down.
Pay to play. Like everyone else.
*LTD* is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:09 PM   #56
YouArentJ
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to YouArentJ Send a message via Skype™ to YouArentJ
Quote:
You can downgrade. But you have to be in DFU mode and have the ipsw file on hand.

Next time do your research instead of spreading FUD
iTunes will download the IPSW for you, you don't have to have it... but you're right about DFU mode.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:10 PM   #57
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Too bad this sort of thing will probably mean more rules and tighter control in the future. I hope no legitimate developers were selling slots. Just shows lack of professionalism to those that did.
Popeye206 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:10 PM   #58
otissmithd
macrumors newbie

The question is, is there anyone with beta 3 or higher that have had this happen to them? Right now it just seems like betas are expiring...
otissmithd is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:11 PM   #59
delonh92
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
As a developer running iOS 5 on my phone, I strongly urge non developers to refrain from spending the expense (albeit minor) and trouble obtaining iOS 5 beta. There just are too many issues, ranging from stability of the OS itself (random shutdown, performance, app crashes) to numerous incompatibility issues with 3rd party applications. The official release is probably just 1-2 months away.
i knew what i got into. i'm running apps that my uncle created
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:12 PM   #60
eklof
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otissmithd View Post
The question is, is there anyone with beta 3 or higher that have had this happen to them? Right now it just seems like betas are expiring...
I agree. I want to know if someone's beta4 was disabled.
eklof is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:12 PM   #61
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

I think apple better keep working on sorting those bugs out, because iOS 5 was unsuable, I downgraded just 2 days after I used the beta, it was pretty much a horrible experience

same with Lion, god that thing is full of bugs... they should really get their asses back to the desk instead of hunting down fans that just want to try it out.. apple are a bunch of wankers sometimes
apollo1444 is offline   -13 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:13 PM   #62
delonh92
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouArentJ View Post
iTunes will download the IPSW for you, you don't have to have it... but you're right about DFU mode.
ah. i knew i forgot something.. thanks for correcting me
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:13 PM   #63
Jerome Morrow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
Once you are on 5beta, you can't go back to 4.x

I thought I'd get downvoted. But with 5.0b on my phone, if apple disables it, and I can't go back to 4, how is that good for anyone? And how has someone who isn't selling slots, but just wanted 5.0beta on their phone hurting apple?
By having beta software that is strictly for developers and not for you to show off that's how. Get a clue, man.
Jerome Morrow is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:14 PM   #64
delonh92
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
I would gladly pay the $99. but would you donate funds towards the purchasing of a MBP?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:17 PM   #65
gnagy
macrumors regular

Quote:
So since you don't have $99, but you're a "natural geek" (As opposed to an unnatural geek), somehow that justifies you breaking the law?
gnagy is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:17 PM   #66
iCrizzo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumsetDan13 View Post
omg this happened to me last night! I lost my mind.

What happened was that I legally paid for a dev account but then decided that it wasn't for me, got a refund by apple but still had ios 5 beta 2 running. I should of been notified before losing almost everything on my phone, not smart by apple to do that to people who did actually pay.

Impossible to get a refund for a developer access purchase.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:18 PM   #67
yetanotherdave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to yetanotherdave Send a message via MSN to yetanotherdave Send a message via Yahoo to yetanotherdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morrow View Post
By having beta software that is strictly for developers and not for you to show off that's how. Get a clue, man.
Who is showing off? I like playing with new software and am prepared to put up with bugs.

I am slightly surprised at the reaction here, I can't be the only person who wants new toys early!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:18 PM   #68
delonh92
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnagy View Post
So since you don't have $99, but you're a "natural geek" (As opposed to an unnatural geek), somehow that justifies you breaking the law?
Breaking what law. where is this law. Serious question????
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:19 PM   #69
harley3k
macrumors regular

Rule #34?
harley3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:20 PM   #70
LarzStarz
macrumors member

My iPad 2 was on Beta 2 and it got locked up a couple days ago. I figured the beta 2 had expired and I just haven't had time to try to fix it.

For the record: I am in the developer program, have not sold any beta slots, and did not receive a message from Apple regarding this at all.
LarzStarz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:21 PM   #71
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
OMG I actually agree with one of your posts.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:21 PM   #72
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Who is showing off? I like playing with new software and am prepared to put up with bugs.

I am slightly surprised at the reaction here, I can't be the only person who wants new toys early!
Pay $99 for your own developer's account and you still can!
azentropy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:22 PM   #73
aprofetto8
macrumors regular

MacRumors needs to update this article as its terribly misleading.
aprofetto8 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:23 PM   #74
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnagy View Post
I agree. When beta2 came out, my license was about to expire. Although I don't develop for iOS these days, my curiosity got the better of me. I know, I know, bad me... So I renewed and installed b2 (then b3, then b4).

So any bad happens, it is totally on me.

Anyways, I suffer from Compulsive Updating Syndrome, so I don't expect staying on old betas very long...
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:24 PM   #75
REHUTTO
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Once you are on 5beta, you can't go back to 4.x

I thought I'd get downvoted. But with 5.0b on my phone, if apple disables it, and I can't go back to 4, how is that good for anyone? And how has someone who isn't selling slots, but just wanted 5.0beta on their phone hurting apple?

You actually can downgrade to iOS 4. I did last night when my iOS 5 beta expired. And... I actually did get a developer account the right way (paying for it).
REHUTTO is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion