Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Not sure what the exact cause is, but ever since I updated my iPod touch (4g) to iOS 4.3.5, iTunes won't open up automatically when I plug in my iPod touch. Either that, or it's related to the latest updated version of iTunes. Unchecking and then rechecking the box for "Open iTunes when this iPod is connected" did not solve the issue.

Anyone else having this problem?

EvenStranger

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
You didn't mention if you were connecting your iPod to a Mac or Windows box.

If Windows, then the likely culprit is the Apple Mobile Device Driver, or Windows Device Driver or whatever they're calling it now. Uninstall it, uninstall iTunes, then reinstall iTunes - the driver will be included.

If Mac, first thing I'd check is the System Profiler (or System Information in Lion) to see if the iPod is actually being seen on the USB bus. If so, then it's most likely a driver issue - the kernel extension, or kext, for the iPod. A reinstall of iTunes should address this as well.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
You didn't mention if you were connecting your iPod to a Mac or Windows box.

If Mac, first thing I'd check is the System Profiler (or System Information in Lion) to see if the iPod is actually being seen on the USB bus. If so, then it's most likely a driver issue - the kernel extension, or kext, for the iPod. A reinstall of iTunes should address this as well.
Yeah, I'm having the problem on my iMac. But I've just found out I'm also experiencing the same problem when I connect the iPod to my Macbook... which leads me to believe that the problem lies with the iPod itself rather than the iTunes I have on both computers.

Nonetheless, I'm still willing to go through with reinstalling iTunes by following these steps here if it comes down to it, though I'd prefer not to go through all that effort...

EvenStranger

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
Could be the iPod, could be the sync cable. I'd check the dock connector on the iPod and make sure none of the pins are bent or there isn't trash clogging the port. I've used an unbent paperclip to sweep around the port to fish out dust balls and trash. Try a different USB cable too, if you haven't already. Third would be to force a reboot of the iPod and then see if it mounts. Hold down the home and power buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release and let it boot normally.

YEEZY

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
If your iPod still appears in iTunes, then it might be the program's issue. Although I have had similar issues when my sync cable was a little messed up, but it was visibly damaged for me.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
The web page I linked to solved the problem, and once again iTunes starts up when I plug in my iPod touch. Thanks for the help, though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.