Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Image flickers without scrolling

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 87.0%

• Total voters

squaremon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008

does this image flicker on ur 11 or 13" samsung display?

Please state ur MBA panel and year

Mine flashing crzy in still image, not scrolling. Only stop flashing when zoom in

2011 MBA 13" LG

Last edited:

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
so that you have the lg panel :D

You tell me. When I type:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

in terminal I get B116XW05.

Under my color profile model number it says: 9CF4

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
My point is these tests are pointless. Even if it fails, the likelihood that will impact you is next to nil.

It's like saying my car goes up to 187 miles an hour, but it should hit 194.

It fails all with full brightness.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I want to change my answer. I didn't realize the issue at hand was if the image was flashing when it was not moving. With my panel it does not flash at all when I don't move it. Only when scrolling.

chandeliho

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
My point is these tests are pointless. Even if it fails, the likelihood that will impact you is next to nil.

It's like saying my car goes up to 187 miles an hour, but it should hit 194.

It fails all with full brightness.

Except I saw this on an actual webpage, it's how I noticed it to begin with. Now the instance of that is rare (obviously depends on the webpage imagery), but what gets me is that one can buy a pretty expensive piece of equipment and have it randomly be either pretty darn good, or somewhat lacking.

squaremon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
You tell me. When I type:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

in terminal I get B116XW05.

Under my color profile model number it says: 9CF4

It's either bmx, BMW, or B52 :D

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Except I saw this on an actual webpage, it's how I noticed it to begin with. Now the instance of that is rare (obviously depends on the webpage imagery), but what gets me is that one can buy a pretty expensive piece of equipment and have it randomly be either pretty darn good, or somewhat lacking.

I would have to agree then. I thought all those pages went away when geocities folded ;)

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
yah, i see it at the top..

:/

That's a bit of a bummer.

Well, I'm in the lottery again, though I am firmly convinced that I can't' get lucky three times in a row... it will be progressively worse.

samsung, samsung
samsung, lg
?? - knowing my luck toshiba / lg - though I guess the odds are skewed based on which factory is cranking them out faster.

Still, $1360 + gift card is a fair bit more than $987 - so I guess I have to live with it either way.

drxcm

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
My 2011 11" LG flashes like crazy - was shocked.
My 2009 17" MBP does not show any flashing at all.

Interestingly my 2010 11" MBA, my primary computer since October last year, flashes like crazy. I have NEVER noticed this on any website, photo, or anything displayed on my screen.

This is not a fault. This is not an issue. It is merely a property of some LCD's. In real world circumstances, it will not affect 99.999% of people.

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
My 2011 11" LG flashes like crazy - was shocked.
My 2009 17" MBP does not show any flashing at all.

Interestingly my 2010 11" MBA, my primary computer since October last year, flashes like crazy. I have NEVER noticed this on any website, photo, or anything displayed on my screen.

This is not a fault. This is not an issue. It is merely a property of some LCD's. In real world circumstances, it will not affect 99.999% of people.

Excellent point. It's not really worth to me to hassle with the lottery. My understanding if you turn the brightness down on the LG, you really only notice it on one of the patterns. And I've read the Samsung panels show some flicker when scrolling (as does the LG obviously). It's a very minor thing I think.

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
I have the 2011 11"MBA Samsung screen and no there does not appear to be any issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.