Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ydwuc-500x373.jpg

Metropolitan Police have multiple police vans parked in Oxford Circus, including three parked directly in front of the Apple Store flagship on Regent Street. The picture above was posted to Twitter by @Joe, a venture capitalist with m8 Capital in London.

Londoners are facing rioting and looting for the third night in a row. The BBC has extensive coverage of the events.

Article Link: London Police Vans Parked Outside Apple Store Regent Street

Apple1000

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
Scotland
I condemn the violence in London first and fore mostly. Imagine what the thugs would have done if they got in to the Apple store! At least its safe :apple: FTW :eek: :D :) :eek: ;)

leon44

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
This is all making the UK look really really bad.
We have nothing to riot about tbh, most of the rioters are just looting and joining in for fun.
When asked why they're rioting they say they aren't getting enough back from the government.
The UK is one of the most mundane and fair countries in the world and definately one of the best places to be poor, this is pathetic.

Quote from Sky News: 'The worst affected parts of this street are The Carphone Warehouse and Currys Digital'
Says it all doesn't it.

twentyred

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2007
Birmingham, UK
The BBC have reported that the Bullring shopping mall here in Birmingham has been breached by a hundred or so rioters/looters... the Apple Store in there is probably chaos right now.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
an Apple Store would probably become an easy target to these thugs ... makes sense to have the police there.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Reminds me of the Los Angeles riots. Police completely surrounded the crappy neighborhoods, so they could only riot in their own neighborhoods. The "nicer" parts of town were more or less untouched. Gotta love the priorities.

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
<sarcasm>Damn, I was thinking about having a go :p</sarcasm>

I feel sorry for the police on the ground. Many have been on duty for the best part of 3 days and seem to have little actual support from Scotland Yard and the Government (whose best effort has been to "pay tribute" to them; unfortunately that doesn't translate into anything a constable can actually use), who have been completely ineffectual and should have deployed the Army hours ago to reinforce the police.

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
The BBC have reported that the Bullring shopping mall here in Birmingham has been breached by a hundred or so rioters/looters... the Apple Store in there is probably chaos right now.

Damn,I was meant to be dropping by there on friday.
I expect it was the first place everyone rushed to to grab a new iPhone 4. If only they new the iP5 was just round the corner...

May 24, 2011
Good priorities of the price to protect 1 measly apple store when in other parts of London the riots are out of control and they need all the officers they can get. :/

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Having lived in London, around the area, the location of the Apple Store is a strategic location for officer manager and riot management. It's unlikely that they are specifically guarding the Apple Store.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Having lived in London, around the area, the location of the Apple Store is a strategic location for officer manager and riot management. It's unlikely that they are specifically guarding the Apple Store.

This is true. There was some trouble on Oxford St on Saturday - and it's pretty easy for a 'flash mob' to form if these kids are all hooked up on Blackberry.

The top of Regent St. by the Apple Store is an excellent place to base a police operation, as it's just by Oxford circus, and gives easy access to the whole of Oxford and Regent St.

The Apple store would be a prime target too... all that sheet glass, and expensive gizmos.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
What!!?? I live in London I took a flight out from Heathrow to Belize three days ago....all seemed peaceful when I left!

Im reading the news now and I still don't have a clue what we're meant to be rioting about!

Anyway.... back to my Pina Colada....

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Although I live in London I think finally everyone is realising why I hate it and want to move elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Live really close to where one of the riots is going on as well, thank God I'm not in the UK at the moment though.

jrfeine

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
They must be protecting the new iPhone 5's in the store which means they already have been shipped!!!! Huzzzah

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
This is true. There was some trouble on Oxford St on Saturday - and it's pretty easy for a 'flash mob' to form if these kids are all hooked up on Blackberry.

The top of Regent St. by the Apple Store is an excellent place to base a police operation, as it's just by Oxford circus, and gives easy access to the whole of Oxford and Regent St.

The Apple store would be a prime target too... all that sheet glass, and expensive gizmos.

The looters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.