Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Next step: the unibody enclosure. Take a huge cube of glass and grind it up from on side. Voilà, one peace of glass for the whole thing. I wonder how big of a stone you'd need to smash it all. :)

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
See? Simplify, simplify, simplify. Why is this not surprising?

With just 15 panes. It's very Apple.

You might call it the iOS of glass cubes. ;)

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Hah.. that tagline.

It's like, good for the environment... And stuff.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
I wonder how long before some idiot throws a rock through 1/15 of the entrance.

I am willing to bet you couldn't even if you tried. $6.6 million in glass buys you some pretty tough stuff I'm sure. For all we know thats Gorilla Glass, giant blown up versions of iPhone faces.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
You have no idea how strong the glass will have to be. In addition to supporting the weight of the roof panels, NY code requires a flat roof to be able to hold 8 feet of snow. If the cube is 40 feet on a side, that's 12,800 cubic feet (40 x 40 x 8) of snow. Assuming heavy snow weighs 20 lb per cubic foot (google it if you don't believe me), then you're talking 256,000 lbs of snow atop that cube. I assure you that a rock will not break that glass.

Of course! Someone always gets there before me :)

Technically you're talking about the wrong property of glass that would withstand a sharp impact. What you're speaking of is compressive strength, and we need tensile strength (pressure required to break).

Not completely putting your calculation aside, it also gives an indication to how thick the glass is. Likely to be a good inch+ thick, and we don't even know what kind of glass type they're using. For all we know it could withstand a car impact.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You have no idea how strong the glass will have to be. In addition to supporting the weight of the roof panels, NY code requires a flat roof to be able to hold 8 feet of snow. If the cube is 40 feet on a side, that's 12,800 cubic feet (40 x 40 x 8) of snow. Assuming heavy snow weighs 20 lb per cubic foot (google it if you don't believe me), then you're talking 256,000 lbs of snow atop that cube. I assure you that a rock will not break that glass.

I really wouldn't want to be the one clearing the snow from up there, 15 panels or 90 panels... I'm scared of heights and it's not like the floor hides anything from underneath...

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
They are saying its more simple :eek: Tell that to the engeneer that designed the glass!! I have a feeling their is nothing simple about it :)

Cant wait to see it :D

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's pretty shiny. I wish they had considered matte as an option.

ciociosan

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Lund, Sweden
bohlin cywinski jackson keep pushing the envelope. i wonder how thick these panes are and what sort of support structure goes into keeping them (especially the roof bits) from falling down.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
They're spending $6 million to put in bigger panes?!?
I don't get it.

If you think as if it were part of an advertising campaign, then $6,000,000 is not a lot of money.

It was mentioned that the cube is the most photographed tourist attraction in NY! The amount of PR mileage they will get out of this will could well be a large multiple of the cost in free publicity.

(Whether spending $6,000,000 on a store, no matter what it's return, is reasonable or obscene [when it could go to other purposes] is a question for another thread.) ;)

But as a marketing investment - it don't seem to me like that much money.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
If you think as if it were part of an advertising campaign, then $6,000,000 is not a lot of money.

It was mentioned that the cube is the most photographed tourist attraction in NY! The amount of PR mileage they will get out of this will could well be a large multiple of the cost in free publicity.

(Whether spending $6,000,000 on a store, no matter what it's return, is reasonable or obscene [when it could go to other purposes] is a question for another thread.) ;)

But as a marketing investment - it don't seem to me like that much money.

Nice to see someone with a broader view on things and not just some knee jerk reaction poster going "zomg they have too mmuch moneyz blablablah"

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
I was hoping that it would be one glass panel per side, but three will look really nice still I guess.

Yes reality sets in even if you want fantasy. I love to see how they would have one massive glass panel hold up the walls and ceiling. :rolleyes:

What ever they do, still better than what most other companies are doing without all that money. Nice to not pay out an dividend which allows them to spend it on other things.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
It was mentioned that the cube is the most photographed tourist attraction in NY!

All the tourists that snapped Cube 1 will return for Cube 2.0. And maybe pick up a bauble in the gift shop below :)

I really wouldn't want to be the one clearing the snow from up there

Heated glass would fix that.

Likely to be a good inch+ thick.

I was thinking Stonehenge-thick. Glassshenge. :)

bbbb4b

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Should look gorgeous...that said, I'm not sure why it's worth the money and time. It's not like the old building was a dump.

I would seriously bet that there were some structural, or upkeep related issues with the old glass system. Or at the least "potential" issues that Apple felt it would be best to make the move that they are making.
I doubt this is 100 percent about aesthetics.

YEEZY

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
Eventually it's going to come down to 5 screens, and then ultimately 1 giant glass cube made of one piece of glass.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Perhaps environmentally, 15 panes is better in terms of retaining heat/air condition in addition to aesthetics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.