Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today quietly rolled out several enhancements to its reuse and recycling programs designed to help consumers dispose of their outdated computers and mobile devices in an environmentally friendly manner. The changes include the addition of old iPhone and iPad devices as accepted items for gift card trade-ins and free recycling for all computers and displays, regardless of manufacturer.

apple_recycle_banner_aug11.jpg

- iPhone and iPad now accepted for Apple Gift Card trade-ins. Apple has for some time partnered with PowerON to offer users the ability to trade in an old desktop or notebook computer (Mac or PC) and receive an Apple Gift Card good for the "fair market value" of the computer. The gift card can then be used in any Apple retail store or the online store. Apple has now expanded the trade-in program to allow users to send in their used iPhone and iPad devices for gift cards.
Turn that iPhone, iPad, or computer -- Mac or PC -- you're not using anymore into something brand new. Send it to us and we'll determine if it qualifies for reuse. If it does, that means your device has monetary value that we'll apply to an Apple Gift Card, which you can use for purchases at any Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. If your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or PC doesn't qualify for reuse, we'll recycle it responsibly at no cost to you.
- Free recycling of all computers and displays. Apple also has an existing partnership with WeRecycle to help recycle computers that no longer possess trade-in value. Apple had previously offered free recycling of all old Macs as well as PC systems for customers purchasing Macs, old non-Apple-branded computers and displays recycled without the purchase of a Mac were processed through WeRecycle for a $30 fee to cover shipping. But Apple has now expanded its relationship with WeRecycle to support free recycling of all brands of computers and displays, regardless of whether the user is purchasing a new Mac.
If all you want is to dispose of your unwanted equipment -- regardless of brand -- we can help you do that. Apple contracts with WeRecycle! to responsibly recycle computers and displays from any manufacturer. Just call 877-712-2405 to receive a free prepaid shipping label. Then pack up your equipment using your own box and send it off.
Apple also continues to offer its iPod and mobile phone recycling program. That program offers users 10% off of the purchase of a new iPod when they trade in an old iPod at an Apple retail store. Users can also recycle their old iPods or mobile phones (from any manufacturer) free of charge by mail.

Apple's recycling and trade-in services are of course not the only options for users seeking to get rid of outdated equipment, as there are many other vendors offering cash for trade-ins and a number of states and municipalities offer recycling programs for electronics. But Apple is clearly taking an interest in providing such services on a broader basis to help simplify the process for its customers.

Article Link: Apple Expands Recycling Options for Old Computers and Mobile Devices

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Just sell your old Apple gear. Big resale value, as we are all aware. Older Macs can still fetch a pretty penny.

Granted, at some point it'll either end up as a collector's item or an addition to a trash heap.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Why didn't Apple put out a press release about the increased recycling options? It helps the world, it helps their customers, and it helps them look good.

patora

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
I wish they offered this service inside the Apple stores or offered a cash option. I don't want to have to wait for a gift card to come before purchasing a new iMac.

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Great going Apple, and a nice kick in the butt for the competitors to create equally green ecosystems :)

King Flamez1

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Just sell your old Apple gear. Big resale value, as we are all aware. Older Macs can still fetch a pretty penny.

Granted, at some point it'll either end up as a collector's item or an addition to a trash heap.

Im probably going to end up doing this for when I'm going to be upgrading to a new MBP, and i'd love to see Apple add a discounted price for people that would trade in their old MBPs for new ones

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Wait- did I understand this correctly? I have an old Gatway 2000 PC from the late 90's sitting in my basement. I can just call Apple and they'll give me a shipping label so I can recycle it for $0 on my part?

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
Wait- did I understand this correctly? I have an old Gatway 2000 PC from the late 90's sitting in my basement. I can just call Apple and they'll give me a shipping label so I can recycle it for $0 on my part?

I think so! You have to provide the box though. I have an old Gateway and an HP laptop collecting dust. I will utilize this program!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Perfect timing! I’ve got some old PCs and things taking up space, and was shortly going to look into when they can be collected in my community. Thanks to Apple, that answer is “always.”

For my old Mac—which must have some value—if these gift cards are truly “fair market value” or even close, then I may just do that instead of the hassle of selling it myself.

I’m sure you can get lucky (or not) on eBay or Craigslist, and make more than the gift card... but assuming I don’t do that, are the cards comparable to the value if you sell your Mac to the various companies that resell used computers? Or are these gift cards just a bad choice? (Still convenient and a nice incentive of course.) The gift card IS as good as cash to me, since I’m bound to buy another Mac someday.

jaster2

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Time to let go of Powerbook 180?

So many fond memories. Hard to let it go...

MCMarshall

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2010
UK
But Apple is clearly taking an interest in providing such services on a broader basis to help simplify the process for its customers.

What a terrible editorial statement. Apple provides this service because they can capitalise a lot by doing so in comparison to third party services who offer more cash to the consumer, not so much about being "green" I'm afraid.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

yea, thats part of the apple appeal as opposed to a pc with 0 value after a year or two

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007

Best Buy will recycle your equipment for free ($10 fee for CRTs, but they give you a $10 gift card to offset that cost).

I've dropped a bunch of old electronics at BB over the years.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-Promotions/Recycle-FAQs/pcmcat174700050009.c?id=pcmcat174700050009

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I can barely even give it away anymore, but perhaps I may finally rid my apartment of this graphite iMac G3 sitting in the corner (which, I confess, was my primary computer as recently as three years go on a temporary basis while I was waiting for the unibody aluminum MacBook to be released).

I'm also guessing that for gift cards, the hardware has to be in decent physical shape and more or less working order--none of this cracked-screen or headphone-port-stopped-working stuff? :D

FroMann

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
North Carolina, USA.
So would it be possible to give Apple an old PC from the 90s and early 2000s missing a hard drive, Disc drive, power supply, and have them recycle it for free?

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I would never use this program... I'm sure a lot of people are like me. If I'm getting a new computer I'll put the old one on Craigslist, and earn as much as possible. If I have some computer that's completely worthless, I'll throw it away. I'm not going to take the time to ship it to Apple

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
I would never use this program... I'm sure a lot of people are like me. If I'm getting a new computer I'll put the old one on Craigslist, and earn as much as possible. If I have some computer that's completely worthless, I'll throw it away. I'm not going to take the time to ship it to Apple

Depending on where you live it may be illegal for you to throw it away. CRT monitors for one have a large amount of lead in the glass. Older computers will have lead, PVC, cadmium, mercury, etc.. All really nasty stuff if not disposed of properly.

aznkid25

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Do any PC notebooks have fair market value? I've tried three of mine. All have no fair market value.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I can't part with my clamshell iBook, nor my matching iMac G3. And i especially can't part with my 1984 Apple IIc, but i wonder how much apple would give me for that, especially since it still works like new. I would love to see the look on the employees faces when they open that box :D

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
Fair market value my ass... They say they'll give me $756 for my MP, when I could get like $1800 on the street for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.