Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple, Inc. is now the most valuable public company in the world as measured by market capitalization. Apple's market cap briefly passed ExxonMobil today, reaching $341.55 billion in valuation. ExxonMobil was valued at $341.42 billion.

Apple didn't pass ExxonMobil by rocketing up in price, however. It merely hasn't fallen as far during the current market downturn. Both AAPL and XOM are significantly off their highs as the overall markets have dropped over the past couple weeks.

Apple's stock is trading at $368.40, off 8% from its all-time high of $404 - but ExxonMobil has fallen farther, down 20% to $70.21 from just over $88.

Article Link: Apple Briefly Ranked as Most Valuable Company in the World

Last edited by a moderator:

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Pretty impressive, especially given the state of the company a little more than a decade ago.

delonh92

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Liverpool NY
if you would have asked me 10 yrs ago, were would you see apple in ten yrs. I would have said gone. Congrats you guys deserve it.:)

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
Well, I'd say congratulations, but ... I guess I don't care. I liked Apple when it was "tiny" and almost dying - I can't say that it has improved much as a company by growing so much.

Still no Blu-ray support for instance. :confused:

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Beer

I just opened a beer for this! Thanks for allowing me to drink a cold one on a work day Apple!...

Here's one for you Steve.. come and pick it up.

/s

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Well, I'd say congratulations, but ... I guess I don't care. I liked Apple when it was "tiny" and almost dying - I can't say that it has improved much as a company by growing so much.

True, I would prefer a mouse redesign personally. Something for people without oven mitt hands

FrHa

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011

I think the reason you preferred it then is because most people didn't own Apple products then, and when owning one then, you felt more special than you do today. This is similar to the RayBan Wayfarer glasses. I remember owning these ten years ago feeling unique, but now they're so mainstream, I've gone off them :rolleyes:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Poor title. Should read something like, Apple Briefly Surpasses ExxonMobile as the Largest US Publicly Traded Company.

KOZOK

macrumors member
May 2, 2011
Amazing only in that exxonmobil actually does something useful whereas apple makes toys.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Congrats to Apple for this achievement. Hopefully they can continue to scale, while keeping a level head. Seeing companies grow, get more power, and become omnipotent (in their own eyes) is getting old these days.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
Congrats Apple! Who would've thought this in the Sculley era?! :p

ahh scully

brings to minds steve's remarks about bringing scully aboard
"..what can i say...i hired the wrong guy..."

but also liked scully's remark about the line steve used to recruit scully

"..do you want to sell surgared water the rest of your life..."

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Time to buy DELL, set every building ablaze and give back the money to shareholders.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live

I think not... How did you get you :apple: stuff?
- Parts of it are made from oil
- Building process needs oil
- Shipping it to you or the store needs oil
- You picking it up at the apple store needs oil
- Your car
- Your mom's car
- The city bus
- The grease on your bike
- etc

It's great for Apple (really), but market valuablabla is really just made up numbers in the end based on the way the market works (I have little clue on the actual details).

So in the end, without oil, there would be no Apple. As there wouldn't be much anything without natural resources.

But still, great for Apple!

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I think not... How did you get you :apple: stuff?
- Parts of it are made from oil
- Building process needs oil
- Shipping it to you or the store needs oil
- You picking it up at the apple store needs oil
- Your car
- Your mom's car
- The city bus
- The grease on your bike
- etc

It's great for Apple (really), but market valuablabla is really just made up numbers in the end based on the way the market works (I have little clue on the actual details).

So in the end, without oil, there would be no Apple. As there wouldn't be much anything without natural resources.

But still, great for Apple!

It also goes the other way around. Without technological appliances and means of transport, there would be little need for oil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.