Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Something on this scale would never happen in America because U.S. citizens have the right to bare arms and protect their homes and livelihoods.

Yes, a major city filled with angry people armed with guns sounds much safer.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yes, a major city filled with angry people armed with guns sounds much safer.

At least the riots would be shorter.

The sad thing is that if you were to stop any ONE person currently involved in the rioting, and ask them what they're so angry about, they probably couldn't even tell you. The mob mentality is just ridiculous.

MickeyDK

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Manchester, UK
They have attacked and looted the Arndale Shopping Centre, which also contains an Apple Store.
Obviously, I can't give any info about how the state is in there - but living only half a mile away from the riot place of Salford, that also have been in the fire this afternoon - i fear for the whole city, cause those... people.... have just no respect for anything, whatsoever.

Hopefully the army will be sent in to get it stopped, before many hundred of innocents peoples homes is being burned down, no matter where in the country they live.

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Donnacha said:
Me being from America I can defiantly understand this. This kind of stuff happens all the time, a group of a few angry crazy people riot, and cause trouble,and it makes the whole country look bad the way the media portrays everything.

Something on this scale would never happen in America because U.S. citizens have the right to bare arms and protect their homes and livelihoods.

What an ignorant statement. Major Riots have happened in the United States almost on every decade since the 1900s.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
That is a ridiculous statement to make. It really is. In the UK sure we don't have the right to own gun. This is down to some kind of deep root issue where guns would not have stopped this. The UK has issues and so does the US so don't dare think that just because you feel its ok to have guns this would not happen in the US. Imagine how much worse it would be if guns we aloud.

Personally from someone that works in a secondary school I would be using the CCTV, going to the school, getting the teens ID'd and prosecuting the parents as well as the teens.

It is not a ridiculous statement. Frankly you wouldn't know because you do not have the freedom.

It's called raising the risk to reward ratio. If you see me standing there with a rifle the chances of you trying anything and the risk has now gone away from the reward. It wasn't said to kill looters or rioters. It's a deterent, and a damn good one. Many did it during the LA riots years ago here in CA.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
They have attacked and looted the Arndale Shopping Centre, which also contains an Apple Store.
Obviously, I can't give any info about how the state is in there - but living only half a mile away from the riot place of Salford, that also have been in the fire this afternoon - i fear for the whole city, cause those... people.... have just no respect for anything, whatsoever.

Hopefully the army will be sent in to get it stopped, before many hundred of innocents peoples homes is being burned down, no matter where in the country they live.

The ridiculous amounts of bureaucratic BS needed to be waded through to get the orders to use any kind of force are ridiculous. I am in contact with Police from the UK and they can't use water cannons, and are waiting on the ok to use rubber bullets. US LEO would have already been using those, as well as water cannons and gas.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
If I could, I'd beat the heck out of those kids. Their faces wouldn't look the same for years. They're old enough to commit and understand these crimes, they're old enough to take punishment.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Very sensible Apple. You're only worth $76 billion +/- cant afford to loose a few k's worth of display kit.

Looks like they've even removed the cool iPad2 information things aswell!

so in your opinion companies should be negligent even in the case of heavy rioting to the point of leaving the very tools they use to make a profit exposed behind a glass door for the thieves to grab while the overwhelmed police are elsewhere??

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
That is a ridiculous statement to make. It really is. In the UK sure we don't have the right to own gun. This is down to some kind of deep root issue where guns would not have stopped this. The UK has issues and so does the US so don't dare think that just because you feel its ok to have guns this would not happen in the US. Imagine how much worse it would be if guns we aloud.

Personally from someone that works in a secondary school I would be using the CCTV, going to the school, getting the teens ID'd and prosecuting the parents as well as the teens.

As an American, I do believe that our gun culture is out of control. However, I also believe that law enforcement and individuals with clean records should have limited access for self-defense.

I'm watching videos and the mobs are just going up to police and attacking them with very little repercussion. In the US, if you assault a police officer with deadly force, you'll justifiably be shot. Shields and batons more or less simply put law enforcement on equal footing with the rioters, not at an advantage.

These sad hooligans act tough and noble, but they're just looting businesses to get free sneakers, TVs, etc. You can bet that if the owner was standing at the back of the store with a pistol they would not bother him.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008

You must have been asleep during the L.A. riots in the 90s.
After the Rodney King debacle, more than 50 people died and thousands were injured.

nikguitar

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
As an American, I do believe that our gun culture is out of control. However, I also believe that law enforcement and individuals with clean records should have limited access for self-defense.

I'm watching videos and the mobs are just going up to police and attacking them with very little repercussion. In the US, if you assault a police officer with deadly force, you'll justifiably be shot. Shields and batons more or less simply put law enforcement on equal footing with the rioters, not at an advantage.

These sad hooligans act tough and noble, but they're just looting businesses to get free sneakers, TVs, etc. You can bet that if the owner was standing at the back of the store with a pistol they would not bother him.

I agree with you, but then please don't complain if your country is at the top of this list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Last edited:

khkman22

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Very sensible Apple. You're only worth $76 billion +/- cant afford to loose a few k's worth of display kit.

Looks like they've even removed the cool iPad2 information things aswell!

Sounds like someone is upset their plans to loot the store tonight have all been for nothing now.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
It's called raising the risk to reward ratio. If you see me standing there with a rifle the chances of you trying anything and the risk has now gone away from the reward. It wasn't said to kill looters or rioters. It's a deterent, and a damn good one. Many did it during the LA riots years ago here in CA.

You seem to have this noble idea that only just and brave people defending their homes would be using guns. You need to step outside and see the reality. Standing outside your house with a shotgun might protect you. It might also be the very reason why a thug shoots you before he loots your house. Who do think has more practice and less hesitation to actually shoot someone, you or the thug? Also, you might wonder how the thug got his gun in the first place, since most firearms used by criminals were acquired legally.

There is a very specific reason why the US is - by far - the country with the most murders and gun violence per capita in the Western world, only surpassed by the likes of Colombia, Mexico and South Africa. And it's a really sad and goddamn(sorry) stupid reason, which is deeply rooted in a mentality straight from the 19th century.

Well, back on topic... Let's hope not more people are getting killed and that this madness will find an end soon. It's really a disgrace.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
It is not a ridiculous statement. Frankly you wouldn't know because you do not have the freedom.

Not really. A higher proportion US citizens are shot dead by Police than UK citizens are shot dead by criminals each year. (Yes that is accounting for the population difference). 12,500 firearms homicides in the US each year, compared to 50 in the UK. Your murder rate is 4 times ours.

If the UK had the "freedom" to arm itself all that would happen is we would have death on top of destruction. As it stands there seems to be one person who may have been killed due to the riots.

Last edited:

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008

Or they might simply shoot him first.

I agree that the police should definitely be armed, but only allowed to shoot or even kill as an ultima ratio. While I agree to the fullest that rioting, looting, theft etc are undisputably serious crimes, they should be dealt with _accordingly_. Last time I checked there is no death penality for these, and there is a difference between someone destroying THINGS and physically harming other people, in which case it would be more appropriate to use deadly force to stop it.

Just get enough police on the streets already, and if that's not enough, the military! The officials must be sleeping. How many peple are rioting? A few thousand in total? This can't be that hard to stop.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/25.697; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

In the UK, you could be prosecuted for hurting an intruder to your own home. With or without a gun.

So i feel bad for those people whose homes were broken into the last 3 nights, just cowering in some backroom. Helpless.

We can't even tell off rowdy teenagers in trains and buses in the UK. Nobody does when these youths are in groups.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Also, you might wonder how the thug got his gun in the first place, since most firearms used by criminals were acquired legally.

See, that is where you are completely and ridiculoulsy wrong. They are criminals and cannot legally purchase firearms. So they aquire them illegally. And to believe otherwise is sheer ignorance.

There is a very specific reason why the US is - by far - the country with the most murders and gun violence per capita in the Western world, only surpassed by the likes of Colombia, Mexico and South Africa. And it's a really sad and goddamn(sorry) stupid reason, which is deeply rooted in a mentality straight from the 19th century.

Oh no's!! Gun violence!!

Take knives and only the criminals will have knives...

See, I'm free. Your not. There is a reason for that.

flipperfeet

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
Get your facts straight, and open a textbook or wikipedia once in a while

You must be very young or have a very short memory, the Los Angeles Riots were in 1992. Those riots make last night's event look like a warm up.

In the twentieth century alone there were eighty riots in the United States far and away more frequent than any other country in the world.

In the first ten years of this century the US has had fifteen, at this rate and with our current unequal distribution of wealth and power, I have no doubt my fellow citizens will double this number before the current decade is out.

History has demonstrated gun ownership has not stopped the occurrence of riots in the US, they have only served to raise the body count on all sides. In fact there is correlation data that might lead some to argue the nearly unfettered gun ownership increases the frequency and likelihood of rioting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_riots#20th_century

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/25.697; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

In the UK, you could be prosecuted for hurting an intruder to your own home. With or without a gun..

Don't fall for "Daily Mail" type stories. You can "hurt" intruders in your home in self-defence. In fact if someone had a gun in your home you could probably kill them and get away with it without much issue.

See, I'm free. Your not. There is a reason for that.

You can't be serious? Homicide rate in the US is 4 times UK. Enjoy your "freedom".

MacObsessed

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Unfortunately we do have similar things happening, albeit on a much smaller scale, in Chicago and Philly with youth flash mobs assaulting random people and vandalizing stores. This is, to a certain extent, inevitable when you have a large portion of the population with too much time and an entitlement mentality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.