Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Will apple still send restore discs, (I think that's what they are called, the grey discs that are system specific) For PPCs? If so I have some questions:

#1: Are they free other than shipping?

#2 How far back (OS wise) will they go/ Whats the oldest computer they will sell the restore disc for?

#3 Are they reusable? As in could I buy five imac g3s and use the same restore disc for all of them?

#4 Could I order every one and keep them for if I need them or do you have to have proof that you own the product?

Thanks, this info will be a big help.

-Zach

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I lucked out when I got a PowerBook G4 off of a boss who had no restore disc. I took a chance and spoke to Apple about it. They said they'd send the original disc that came with it. About 3-5 business days later I received a Tiger installation DVD. It was just a generic DVD that looks like they burned it right then and there. I was rather surprised.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Will apple still send restore discs, (I think that's what they are called, the grey discs that are system specific) For PPCs? If so I have some questions:

#1: Are they free other than shipping?

I believe so.

#2 How far back (OS wise) will they go/ Whats the oldest computer they will sell the restore disc for?

I don't know.

#3 Are they reusable? As in could I buy five imac g3s and use the same restore disc for all of them?

If you had more than one of the same Mac and they all had shipped with the exact same hardware and OS, yes you could, but I believe it's a violation of the Terms and Conditions.

#4 Could I order every one and keep them for if I need them or do you have to have proof that you own the product?

Thanks, this info will be a big help.

-Zach

I believe you need the serial number of the Mac.

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Okay thanks, that answers almost everything, but I still want to know what the farthest back restore disc is : /

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.