Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
It is a bit fun to be honest, how HTML5, that Apple use to crusade against Flash, is also coming back and biting them in the behinds when other companies refuse Apples rules.

scottgroovez

macrumors regular
May 20, 2010
This is awesome. Works nice on Google chrome, opened up right at the page I was reading on my iphone.

The more "apps" that don't have to pander to Apple's rules the better. Hail the free and open web.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
PREFER THE NATIVE APP. iT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. jUST GO TO AMAZON.COM AND BUY AN EBOOK AND SYNC WITH THE NATIVE APP. Avid readers know how to attain new ebooks!!!

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
PREFER THE NATIVE APP. iT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. jUST GO TO AMAZON.COM AND BUY AN EBOOK AND SYNC WITH THE NATIVE APP. Avid readers know how to attain new ebooks!!!

Consumer choice isn't bad is it? If you prefer the native app, use it, others may prefer this.

betab

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
Good thing Steve Jobs pushed so hard for HTML5. Amazon wouldn't probably be able to put this together with Flash. Way to go Steve!

fabianjj

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Westside guy said:
Seems like a pretty brilliant use of the latest HTML5 technologies (especially with the off-line functionality). The obvious benefit, as mentioned, would be getting around Apple's "give us 30% of the price for in-app purchases" rule; but it would seem to have other advantages as well. If Apple chose to dramatically change the API in a future release of iOS - or if Google did the same with Android, for that matter - Amazon wouldn't have to break a sweat. Kindle users would continue to have full access to their books on the iPad with no extra effort or feverish overtime work by their programers to update. It's not as if Apple or Google can remove HTML5 functionality without repercussions...

Not only that, it will work with pretty much any device that has a web browser. Maybe not as well on all devices as the iPad-optimized version, but a lot broader compatibility than trying to code separate apps for each platform

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I hope they won't stop supporting the real app.

Even with local storage a web app will never be as nice as the real thing.

I'll probably stop using Amazon altogether if they stop having an app.

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
Perhaps more intriguing is the kindleair.com registered by Amazon recently...

After all what would be in the air but a 'Cloud' reader...

New Kindle/Tablet perhaps?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
A lot of the scrap on the iOS app store would be much better done as web apps. Much more universal, much less of a pain to develop for the developers and also would help with the crowding in the app store.

Let's face it, many of the apps are just document viewers or smallish databases. The problem is with the "gold rush", everyone went native, destroying basically 10 years of moving stuff to the Web where it fit gracefully. The 80s and 90s was where boxed software was the rage, where you had to install it locally. The late 90s brought us rich web applications where server-side dynamically generated HTML technologies the likes of J2EE and other, simpler stacks.

HTML5 solves a lot of the issues we had client side (offline storage, richer UIs) and moving forward, a lot of apps just make sense as webapps.

Last edited:

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
How about them apples, Apple?

That's wrong-headed thinking.

Apple have always supported Web apps. Web apps came before the app store.
Mobile Safari can offer web apps iOS like user interface elements, local storage and you can even install the app into an icon just like a native app.

There are two platforms on iOS. Web Apps and Cocoa touch.
Web apps will always be free and open, Cocoa Touch apps have more power and developers are required to share revenue. You takes your pick and you pays your money.

Apple don't block or prevent functionality for Web Apps, they have bent over backwards to make web apps more useful than on other platforms.

C.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Even with local storage a web app will never be as nice as the real thing.
The same was stated for email clients and today I consider gmail much better than many "native" email applications. There is a lot of interest in web applications in general and technology has already shown many times than "never" can happen pretty quickly with the right push from the industry.

alexhooren

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2005
Apple don't block or prevent functionality for Web Apps, they have bent over backwards to make web apps more useful than on other platforms.

Except when they made Web Apps render using a slower version of Safari if launched from the homescreen!

And somehow I think "webOS" might be geared more towards web apps if you're mentioning other platforms...

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
That's wrong-headed thinking.

Apple have always supported Web apps. Web apps came before the app store.
Mobile Safari can offer web apps iOS like user interface elements, local storage and you can even install the app into an icon just like a native app.

There are two platforms on iOS. Web Apps and Cocoa touch.
Web apps will always be free and open, Cocoa Touch apps have more power and developers are required to share revenue. You takes your pick and you pays your money.

C.

You can bet that once they see how much money they'll lose, suddenly HTML5 isnt so magic afterall.

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
This is one area where Apple screwed the pooch, and made it more difficult for its users to fully utilize their products. The 30% take is quite unreal. As a Kindle owner - I use iBooks and the Nook app, as well - I'm glad to see Amazon creatively take the bull by the horns.

I'm hoping Apple also has web-based apps for iBooks available for the Amazon tablet. :)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
And somehow I think "webOS" might be geared more towards web apps if you're mentioning other platforms...

What makes you say so ? WebOS is just a marketing name. It really has nothing to do with the web. It just happens to use HTML and Javascript for their native application frameworks (though you can also use C++), but that doesn't mean the applications are served over the HTTP protocol.

While I have no doubt WebOS has an excellent browser (also based on Webkit, like Android's, iOS', Blackberry's and most other portable platform), it still has a native app SDK that people will use and abuse for simpler things that should simply be HTML5+CSS3 with a server side framework doing the grunt work.

Frankly, ChromeOS is more geared towards Web apps than any other platform, but that's part of the design really. :D

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
Except when they made Web Apps render using a slower version of Safari if launched from the homescreen!

Read a bit around the web (or even here in MacRumors) and you will find that they WERE slower because of security restrictions (the Javascript engine could not compile to native code without violating some security assumptions; looks like that has already been fixed in iOS 5)

Yeah, and we all know how marketing names do mean the real deal, huh?

Meanwhile, Apple developed in the open a whole web browser / engine (WebKit, the basis of Safari, Chrome and others), and made efforts to make the standard web (HTML+Javascript, no plugins) work on mobile. Funny how now lots of smarties feel the need to convert that whole strategy arc into some "Oh snap! Look at what Amazon did" retort, when in fact it's just giving the intended fruit.

And, just for the irony: did you know that WebOS uses a WebKit-based browser?

dexthageek

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Apple want's a cut of the sales for anything that works on their iOS devices, and I even understand why, they are a business whose sole purpose is to turn a profit. But when you get greedy and start restricting everything, people will find a way to circumvent those restrictions. It is very nice to see a company develop a legal method for customers to read their ebooks while circumventing Apple's IAP.

Good Job Amazon.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Since it's HTML5, it's a bit like Amazon beat Apple at their own game with this. :D

And it really does serve Apple right for the terms they enacted. It's also a good move should Apple decide to become even more anti-competitive with their App Store terms.

I love when people say this, you to realize there is no law that states Apple has to allow 3rd party apps on the iPhone/iPad. They do it because they make money.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I use Amazons Cloud Player all the time as a webapp on my ipad. I find that Amazon can out price many MP3s against iTunes, at least with the music I listen to, so I have a lot of music on their cloud. So far 56 albums/1136 songs. It's getting to be like the 16GB iPad isn't looking too bad, through I still prefer my 64GB and if Apple comes up with a higher GB version in the future....back to Web Apps, I have a folder on my iPad filed with them.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Apple want's a cut of the sales for anything that works on their iOS devices, and I even understand why, they are a business whose sole purpose is to turn a profit. But when you get greedy and start restricting everything, people will find a way to circumvent those restrictions. It is very nice to see a company develop a legal method for customers to read their ebooks while circumventing Apple's IAP.

Good Job Amazon.

Odd I still can read books in m kindle app, didn't realize Apple was blocking that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.