Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Actually, that reminded me of something. There is an HP laptop out there that looks almost EXACTLY like a MacBook Pro. I can't really find an image right now because of how many different HP laptops there are, but I saw it at Staples.

They copied every design feature of the MacBook Pro except for the keyboard, which is white. Apple needs to sue them.

If they so happened to copy that entire list I just typed, I would.

cflocation

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
Seattle
It's business. If Apple doesn't defend its patents in every possible case, then the select cases they go after will use the "They're calling out me, but not these people" defense... and it will work.

If you pick-and-choose when to defend your patent, you're going to lose it. Patent enforcement is all or none, not just sometimes.

Exactly

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
To make an example of them. That is the point. It is not to extract $ from them.

It's also being done to build a case for future litigation, for the same reason.

I understand that... They claim they shipped $440,000 Xooms last quater. I wonder how many are still in bargin bins, and how many were sold for a loss. I am also curious as to the number of people who would have bought iPads, but instead bought a bargin bin Xoom that was sold at a loss. (To either Moto or the retailer.)

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
Before and After iPad

BeforeAfterIPad.jpg

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The life of iOS started life as a tablet OS according to Jobs which was later moved onto phones. How was the touch ever first?

No, I'm saying that the iPad did not come from the idea of a tablet, but it came from the idea of the iPod Touch. It's basically an iPod with a bigger screen for more functionality.

It's not like other tablets, which got the idea from previous tablets.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

anyone else realize how pointless it is to argue about this? everyone has their own opinion trying to change ones mind which isnt going to work and wont change a thing about any of it. its likie some people think apple is actually reading these convos lol

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Just out of curiosity

Why is it such a bad thing when Apple GETS sued for patent infringement, yet it is perfectly ok when they go out and sue everyone else? :confused:

Has fanboyism really gotten this ridiculous? Just a note, every device I own is Apple, so I am no troll spewing venom. I am just an ordinary guy that is observing a lot of rich lawyers getting richer, billion dollar organizations spitting at each other, and the folks that pay to make them billion dollar organizations pick sides.

Don't be sheep, competition is a GOOD thing, it forces companies to innovate. Innovation equals better products for us at lower prices. These lawsuits squash that. You have a product that is taking 5% of my market, let me stop that and sue you for steeling my idea. So then my question is what should a tablet outside of an iPad look like?

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Actually they were the first to come up with that form factor.

The form factor being a thick black bezel on touch device. No one else had done this before and everyone else has since.

I owned 2 touch-screen tablets (HP 1000 and 1100) several years ago. They had the same 'form factor' i.e. thick black bezel on a touch device. I don't think that's the entire basis of the suit.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Icaras said:

Great post. Thanks for proving the point!

i dont see how this is a bad thing. only serves well ir the customer. its called having a choice. just look at all those touch phones nowadays. can u believe if tey iphone were the only one to look like that. how boring would that be

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

anyone else realize how pointless it is to argue about this? everyone has their own opinion trying to change ones mind which isnt going to work and wont change a thing about any of it. its likie some people think apple is actually reading these convos lol

Actually, they DO "read" it. There are crawlers that gather consumer sentiment and create charts that can be used to predict stock movement to 80% accuracy. They sell the data to companies. Apple probably buys their data.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ

The difference is Before iPad those were Tablet PC's running the full Windows Operating System.

The "after iPad" devices just like iPad run a mobile version of a whole different Operating system.

If you look at the old IBM PC's and put them next to the old Apple 2, would you notice a difference? Were there lawsuits there as well?

Optimus Frag

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
North Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

While I agree the constant back and forth litigation is kinda embarrassing I can understand Apple wanting to protect it's brand. And there are parallels with two well established product groups.

When Sony released the 'Walkman' it was an instant tech hit and of course mercilessly copied. So much so that soon, to all non-techies, they were all 'Walkman's' and thus Sony's brand strength was diluted.

Vacuum cleaners are better known by the term Hoover. Which again was a make from a company that became THE standard for that product group.

And now it's happening to tablets. WE the tech savvies know the difference between Xoom, Galaxy 10.1, iPad etc etc. But the masses, the ones that buying the majority of these devices I'm afraid are already showing signs of calling them all iPads.

Understandably, Apple don't want that to happen. They want it very clear that an iPad is not mistaken for anything other than an iPad by anyone. That, I believe, is the crux of Apple's current lawsuits. They don't want to stop others selling tablets or creating their own. They just want it so these products look sufficiently different from an iPad to your average consumer so there is no confusion.

And with the best will in the world, most of them do look like iPads to your average person or were clearly influenced by them. Has anyone seen a brightly coloured Xoom or Asus tablet for example?

EiriasEmrys

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010

Copy? There are only so many ways you can design a tablet. It would be like Ford suing Chevy for building a car with 4 wheels and an engine. But the OS is what really matters, and Honeycomb doesn't look a thing like iOS. If you see any resemblance to iOS in that screenshot, you're blind.

However, there is a definite similarity and parallel in functions, technologies and application of those. Are we discussing purely cosmetic because it is obvious to us, or because that is all that is concerned in the patents?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.