Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While we do hesitate to read too much into Apple's patent applications, a couple of new applications published earlier today are gaining some attention for their connections to other Apple-related people and events that have raised the level of intrigue.

Last week, we noted that Apple had finally been revealed as the owner of the applepico.com domain name, as public registration information for the domain was updated to move from Apple's brand management firm MarkMonitor to Apple itself. And now, Unwired View and Patently Apple report that a newly-published patent application from Apple describes in detail how the company could include internal or external pico projectors with its products and utilize them in novel ways.

pico_projector_separate.jpg

In particular, Apple's patent application addresses means by which multiple devices with projectors could be used in concert, either as separate displays or as a single unified display. Either setup could be take advantage of built-in cameras to allow systems to automatically recognize and interpret gestures and shadows, facilitating more dynamic and interactive presentations.

In separate-display mode, a presenter could use a gesture to "push" an image or other content from one screen onto a second one. In unified-display mode, multiple pico projectors could automatically line up their projected images to create a single workspace covering a much larger space than would be possible with only a single projector.

pico_projector_unified.jpg

Today's published patent application dates back to February 2010 and is by no means the company's first to address the concept of pico projectors. And while the technology remains in its early stages and is unlikely to make its way into Apple's products in the near future, it's clear the that the company's engineers are at least exploring about the possibilities.

A second patent application, summarized by AppleInsider, demonstrates some of the advances being made by members of Apple's maps team brought on board with the company's acquisition of Placebase two years ago. The new application, which was filed in February 2010 and is credited to Placebase co-founders Jaron Waldman and Moran Ben-David, is entitled "Schematic Maps" and describes a new maps application that could display a simplified subset of information most relevant to a user seeking specific information or routing.

schematic_maps.jpg

Apple describes how a map could automatically assign "usefulness" indexes to various map features and either display only the most useful features to assist users or distort existing maps to emphasize those most useful features. One example of how the idea could be implemented in practice includes a map route that displays only the exact route to be taken, with a subset of additional information such as cross streets and landmarks also included to assist the user. Other examples include schematics highlighting where a user's friends and contacts are nearby or over-emphasizing the location of a minor alleyway that could help a user find a specific nearby location.

Article Link: Apple Patent Watch: Pico Projectors and 'Schematic Maps'

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apple describes how a map could automatically assign "usefulness" indexes to various map features and either display only the most useful features to assist users or distort existing maps to emphasize those most useful features. One example of how the idea could be implemented in practice includes a map route that displays only the exact route to be taken, with a subset of additional information such as cross streets and landmarks also included to assist the user.

I love this idea! I hate how on my Garmin when I zoom out the display it makes it impossible to see my route because it shows so many irrelevant street and names on its tiny screen.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
The idea of having a projector in your phone is pretty cool I guess, but it must really suck the battery life.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Loving that second idea, such as just showing the route on the map, not all the surrounding streets. Not original though, if you ask someone for directions and they draw you a map that's what they do, so I don't see how it can be patented, but I'd still like to see it in the Maps app. Wonder if a new maps app will be a suprise when iOS5 goes gold...

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
At the very least, Apple is definitely considering this. Projectors may appear in the iPad 3 and iPhone 6. I doubt the iPhone 5 would have it, but it is possible seeing as it's going to be released soon. About now would be perfect timing for a patent.

I could see some businesses using this rather than spending money on costly large TVs. The savings could be huge! Depends on the quality of the projection though. I'd use it for Netflix. :p

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
UHG. PICO is a projector for the iPhone. I can't imagine anything quality in it; the idea with modern technology would be more expensive gimmick than prudent utility.

Day48

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
Projectors would be dumb. Seriously!? who would use them? The battery life already sucks and its not like it would be a good projector, if you are watching 1080p movies, it would be projected back into standard resolution because of the projector, plus this would add bulk to the iPhone, which Apple obviously doesn't want.

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
At the very least, Apple is definitely considering this. Projectors may appear in the iPad 3 and iPhone 6. I doubt the iPhone 5 would have it, but it is possible seeing as it's going to be released soon. About now would be perfect timing for a patent.

I could see some businesses using this rather than spending money on costly large TVs. The savings could be huge! Depends on the quality of the projection though. I'd use it for Netflix. :p

I feel like it would be an iPad feature first (to sell more iPads) and then move on to the phone a year later, so perhaps iPhone 7 IF (and I feel like thats a pretty big if) this were to ever materialize.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Not sure about patent law in the US...is there a time limit for a patent holder to actualy create a prototype/final product for the patent to stay valid or is it more like: "Hey, I thought about getting a paptent for this first and even though I have no clue on how to make it...anyone dare to be smarter then me, ever, and actualy create the thing"?

btw, the map Idea sounds like the autozoom feature of many Nav-systems (like the newer TomToms) with added croping of some content...I wonder if that is even patentable?!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Interesting idea. I am not often in a room dark enough to use a projector like that, but may be handy in specific situations. Interesting innovation though.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Projectors would be dumb. Seriously!? who would use them? The battery life already sucks and its not like it would be a good projector, if you are watching 1080p movies, it would be projected back into standard resolution because of the projector, plus this would add bulk to the iPhone, which Apple obviously doesn't want.

You have to think outside of the box to understand the value of things you don't currently use. Find a nice flat wall somewhere, or hang something from the ceiling, and like magic you have a larger screen to watch things on. The issue is indeed the quality, but battery life? Wouldn't have much of an affect if you don't use it. We have no idea what kind of quality they could manage to fit inside an iPhone by the time they do include it, assuming the next iPhone doesn't have it, so it may work out.

Not sure about patent law in the US...is there a time limit for a patent holder to actualy create a prototype/final product for the patent to stay valid or is it more like: "Hey, I thought about getting a paptent for this first and even though I have no clue on how to make it...anyone dare to be smarter then me, ever, and actualy create the thing"?

btw, the map Idea sounds like the autozoom feature of many Nav-systems (like the newer TomToms) with added croping of some content...I wonder if that is even patentable?!

You have to read the patent itself to understand what's being patented. For all you know, the shape of the iPhone could be the patent.
Systems and methods for preparing and presenting schematic maps, which are maps that present information in a format that presents only information that is most relevant to a given situation in order to provide a simple and clear representation sufficient to aid a user in guidance or orientation. The schematic maps as described herein can be formatted based on the attributes of a display on which they are presented so that the map layout and presentation can be optimized for the particular display. The schematic maps can be "distorted" to better illustrate important maps areas in greater detail and using a relatively larger display area while deemphasizing less important map areas by illustrating them in less detail and using a relatively smaller display area, and thus the schematic maps can be devoid of adherence to a particular scale.

Last edited:

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Michaelgtrusa said:
This will be good but made in china.

So what? :confused:

mazz0 said:
Loving that second idea, such as just showing the route on the map, not all the surrounding streets. Not original though, if you ask someone for directions and they draw you a map that's what they do, so I don't see how it can be patented, but I'd still like to see it in the Maps app. Wonder if a new maps app will be a suprise when iOS5 goes gold...

No. I predict iOS 6. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Projectors would be dumb. Seriously!? who would use them?

I would, rather than have to connect my iPhone or iPad to a separate projector or TV. I could see this being huge for business presentations on the go or in the classroom. Right now our college spends about $5000 to $10,000 to equip a classroom with projection technology. If each faculty member had a mobile device that also projected, that would be a huge savings.

The only drawback right now is that pico projectors simply don't have enough lumens to be generally useful. But I'm sure that will change.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it

If you read the article at your link, you'd realize that LG produced a different device entirely from what Apple is proposing. LG made a standard cell phone to which you could connect an optional LG pico projector.

Remember, Apple didn't "invent" the tablet either -- but it was the first company to make the tablet useable for the general public.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
UHG. PICO is a projector for the iPhone. I can't imagine anything quality in it; the idea with modern technology would be more expensive gimmick than prudent utility.

yea but watch and see it be called something like the Apple Pico Pro Projector

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
If you read the article at your link, you'd realize that LG produced a different device entirely from what Apple is proposing. LG made a standard cell phone to which you could connect an optional LG pico projector.

Remember, Apple didn't "invent" the tablet either -- but it was the first company to make the tablet useable for the general public.
And what do you think Apple is going to do? Build it into the phone... not.
It will be an attachment. Perhaps built into an iPad, but not an iPhone.

The tech still doesn't exist to shrink the projector into a slim phone design and still be powerful enough to be useful.

Like I said, the linking of multiple units is a novel idea, but attaching a pico projector to a cell phone has been done. They suck the life out your battery too.

dblessin

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007
what if....

What if the two ideas were combined?... Maybe it would be useful if you could put it on your dash board in your car and use the pico projector as a heads up display for a new maps application using your windshield as the screen.... Now that would be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.