Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I find it ironic that their professional grade product is the last to receive ThunderBolt.

I can't really see the need for thunderbolt on a MP you can run 5 internal HD's plus optical (6 if if you lose the optical 10-12TB)..I'm sure there will be people that tell me they run more but jeeezz..

Thunderbolt is a dream come true for MBP users though..

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

TwitchOSX said:
Apple makes consumer products now.

You think they want to screw with their entire Pro market? Not gonna happen. That's a LOT of people.

I don't think that it is.

OliverOSX93

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Accrington
I can't really see the need for thunderbolt on a MP you can run 5 internal HD's plus optical (6 if if you lose the optical 10-12TB)..I'm sure there will be people that tell me they run more but jeeezz..

daisy chaining 6 or 7 monitors with a single cable sounds like a good idea to me. its not only for HDDs remember

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm actually a bit surprised at how much people complain about Mac Pros being refreshed infrequently.

The Mac Pro is Apple's machine with the LONGEST useful life of them all! I'm still using my 2006 Mac Pro, and it STILL feels fast even today! Anyone with the 2010 Mac Pro should still be cruising with a blisteringly fast system and not need to upgrade anytime soon.

Meanwhile, my former 2006 Macbook Pro (I sold it) was quite slow and very limited, especially by its maximum RAM capacity.

Mac Pros are investments, meant to be used for several years. Unless you're absurdly rich and must always have the latest gear, this should be common sense.

I'll probably be buying a new Mac Pro at the next refresh (five years into the ownership of my current one). How many other computers can you get five productive years out of before they start feeling slow? I'm a bit annoyed that I'll be forced to move to OS X Lion, but I'm sure they'll get some of its issues resolved by then.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndonian

''With FCP? Thats just one program that they kind of screwed up on. They will get it right. Other than that they haven't messed with the Pro users''.

Yeah ''getting it right'' sort of says.. What the hell I will only get half my edit right and my clients really will be just fine as they will only pay me half the fee.
If you use a pro machine you do because generally you need the power, to be able to add in other hardware and because your lively hood depends on it, oh and you paid the price for it so why shouldn't it be the best? The quote saying they have only screwed up FCP but it will be ok in the end shows the guy isn't a pro and he only plays with it. Also Apple have a good track record of dropping software we pros use such as Shake ( theres one they screwed up) and FCP server (another they screwed up) and they have dropped the server range. So they havent messed about at all with the pros have they? FCP X or the kiddies editing software as we call it may well in the end go as its not being supported seriously, only at a media level to stop the Apple kicking PR machine dead in its tracks, if they were serious they would have put all that was wrong with it correct before launch, do you honestly think Apple are not control freaks and know what they are doing? It wasn't designed for the pro market in the first place hence why all the pro needed stuff was omitted.
We held firm when Apple Computer where almost dead in the water but as in all most all businesses who havent much money in reserve like $60 Billion or whatever it is now cannot do two things at once such as a pro devision and consumer devision. The writing is truly on the wall but as in most cases you either put up or shut up and move along. OSX is so yesterday long live IOS and consumer profits.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I'm actually a bit surprised at how much people complain about Mac Pros being refreshed infrequently.

The Mac Pro is Apple's machine with the LONGEST useful life of them all! I'm still using my 2006 Mac Pro, and it STILL feels fast even today! Anyone with the 2010 Mac Pro should still be cruising with a blisteringly fast system and not need to upgrade anytime soon.

Meanwhile, my former 2006 Macbook Pro (I sold it) was quite slow and very limited, especially by its maximum RAM capacity.

Mac Pros are investments, meant to be used for several years. Unless you're absurdly rich and must always have the latest gear, this should be common sense.

Unfortunately, this isn't the attitude in the MacRumors Alternate Reality Bubble.

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That chart gives a VERY clear confirmation about Apple's direction into the "mobile device post pc area". The curve better pan out soon or there will be no room left for Mac pro in the Apple line up.

realmike15

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
I'd kind of like to see Apple drop the Xeons and just put in regular desktop CPUs in. And drop the price a few hundred while they're at it. :)

I don't want them to drop the Xenon's, but they do need to add another model to the Mac Pro lineup that uses i7 instead of Xenon. Then drop the price by at least $700. Some of us want the expansion of a traditional desktop, but have no need for top of the line Xenon processors. I'm not shelling out $2000 for a 27" iMac that is essentially a laptop that only fits 1 HDD and has no PCI-E expansion ports. It's just not gonna happen.

When will they learn?

fotomiami

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
I need to update my MacPro1.1 and don't see the point in investing $3k in the current MacPro without thunderbolt.

Why can't they just release more frequent updates instead of always waiting for the latest Intel chip every time?

I care more about the graphics card and i/o for audio/video than the cpu.

And while I'm venting, it'll be nice if they offered a smaller SSD that wasn't a +$1000 upgrade

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I don't want them to drop the Xenon's, but they do need to add another model to the Mac Pro lineup that uses i7 instead of Xenon. Then drop the price by at least $700. Some of us want the expansion of a traditional desktop, but have no need for top of the line Xenon processors. I'm not shelling out $2000 for a 27" iMac that is essentially a laptop that only fits 1 HDD and has no PCI-E expansion ports. It's just not gonna happen.

When will they learn?

You'll never get the headless (consumer) Mac tower...

Chris

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
There will always be a high end Mac workstation. The margins are huge, and it lets them showcase OS X on a computer that competes with every other PC maker's high end monster Xeon box.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Pros may be a silent minority but it'd be outrageously stupid for Apple to underestimate their actual worth for its ecosystem and marketing.

Pros make software for iOS and OS X. You can make yet another twitter client on your Mac Mini, but it won't do if you're developing a huge 3D action game for future hardware.

Pros push the technology, which can be later adapted for regular users. There wouldn't be iMovie without Final Cut. There wouldn't be so many Final Cut users if the best hardware Apple could offer, was iMac.

In the end of the day pros are extremely influential opinion-makers. Being a satisfied and experienced Mac user and a "geek friend" of my friends, intentionally or not I introduced at the very least five new users to the Mac platform, and helped them learn it and tackle the difficulties. I'm sure this is not an uncommon situation, but you won't find statistics anywhere on how it impacts the sales.

Instead people count the amount of pro users and multiply it by the price of hardware they often use. Think wider!

Apple has shown an increasing capacity for cutting loose its old customer base in favor of new armies of iConsumers. I have ceased to be surprised at Apple's cold profit-motive strategy.

When will they learn?

I waited years with money in hand for the mythical new midrange desktop Mac. It's not going to happen.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
its not only for HDDs remember

No, Thunderbolt is for things that you'd tick into PCIe slots if you had them. The Mac Pro has PCIe slots. Want 6 monitors? Stick in two more graphics cards.

C.f. the rest of the range where the only model with any sort of expansion card capability is the 17" MacBookPro.

Anyway, most of the cool TB stuff is still "coming soon" whereas PCIe cards are available now...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
We'll see a new Mac Pro within 1.5 months. The biggest clue was when Apple introduced the new Thunderbolt Cinema Display with a ship time of 2 months.

No way Apple sells that beautiful monitor without a Mac Pro to go along with it. It will be here soon enough.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I waited years with money in hand for the mythical new midrange desktop Mac. It's not going to happen.

Of course not. Because they're money losers - and have been for a while now. The industry at large can barely get desktops to move as it is and you want Apple to introduce another one??

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
No, Thunderbolt is for things that you'd tick into PCIe slots if you had them.

Let me rephrase your comment:

No, Thunderbolt is for things that you'd tick into PCIe slots if you had enough of them.​

Many of us find out over time that we don't have enough PCIe slots - so adding external PCIe slots via TBolt would be a wonderful way to extend the life of an otherwise fine machine.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge

Apple should use the Mac Pro as the BTO platform for the professionals to build either Bulldozer or Sandy Bridge solutions.

September 26th brings Bulldozer version 1 to market. January brings Bulldozer 2 to market.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
No way Apple sells that beautiful monitor without a Mac Pro to go along with it. It will be here soon enough.

Tell me about it.

27-inch widescreen, 16:9 aspect ratio and 2560x1440 resolution.

Where else are you going to find that res in a 27-inch? Probably Dell and not much else.

Look around and you'll see that 99% of the 27-inch displays out there (and there aren't many) sport only a 1920x1080 res. Which is, funnily enough, what the majority of smaller 24-inch displays offer. Talk about wasting that extra 3 or so inches of 27 inches of space (in terms of desktop use.)

Sweet display indeed.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

For higher-end video production it will be nice to buy a single ThB I/O device that can be used by all machines with ThB instead of buying buying product X that only works with laptops and product Y that only works with desktops.

Lethal

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Mini will probably hang around

[...] Honestly, on the desktop side, the more likely scenario is the Mac mini gets dropped. Like the MacBook it is a generalist who is getting squeezed on multiple sides. The MacBook was squeezed by the Air and the Pro. [...]

I mildly disagree. I think the Mac mini still deserves a place in the Apple lineup. It was originally aimed at the Windows switcher crowd as a drop-in replacement for their old Wintel box. Dump the beige box, plug in your existing monitor, kbd, mouse, and boom: you're a Mac user. For much less than even a base-model iMac.

But if you don't have a computer yet, or you're looking to add another Mac to your household or office or something, the Mac mini isn't necessarily such a good deal. Especially if you spring for the Cinema Display, which is $999 for either the new Thunderbolt or older Mini Display Port model.

The white plastic MacBook served its purpose. The first one served as the transition from the iBook marketing name to MacBook and was part of the first wave of Intel-based Macs back in 2006. And it was the last plastic computer Apple made (not counting the iPhone 3GS, which outlived the plastic MacBook.) Steve Jobs announced the MacBook Air as "the future of laptops," and evidently he meant it.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I don't even get how someone can actually complain that Apple does not update their Mac Pro lines "frequent enough", in a thread which has a headline about Intel's roadmap. Apple does not choose when to update their Mac Pro's, they are 100% dependent on Intel for that.

An early Mac Pro refresh will only bring thunderbolt, and maybe a new video card option and that's it. But for most of us, Mac Pro's are about CPU, chipset and memory speed. And those three crucial components are up to Intel and Intel only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.