Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I received my MBA today, and I'm loving it. However, I have no need for the Launchpad function of Lion, and would like to remap the new F4 / Launchpad key to bring up the Dashboard as an overlay (like on Snow Leopard)

Is there any way to do this? I've read a few accounts of how to make Launchpad work on an older computer with the "Dashboard" key, but I'm looking to press F4 and get my Dashboard widgets back on screen.

Any help would be appreciated!

TNTN

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I'd also be interested because if you deselect 'treat dashboard as a space' there's actually no way of opening it!

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Can't help ya, OP...but I want to do what you want to do...but reversed. I want my Dashboard key to open up Launchpad on my Mid 2010 MBP 15". Where did you see this done?

bob99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Thanks for the attempt - I installed FunctionFlip, but unfortunately it doesn't work on the F4 key. No matter what, (even with FF running) the F4 key brings up the launchpad on this MBA.

Damn you launchpad! This computer isn't an iPod... I don't need your functionality. Not that I use the dashboard much, but it's a handy calculator tool occasionally.

alidad

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
haha a newbie to mac i must say? the solution to your problem is simple!

open up system preferences and go to mission control

now re-routing your keys is easy :)

hope this helps, enjoy your macbook air! :)

AceTracer

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Thanks for the attempt - I installed FunctionFlip, but unfortunately it doesn't work on the F4 key. No matter what, (even with FF running) the F4 key brings up the launchpad on this MBA.
I wasn't able to get it to work with the F4 key either, but oddly it does work with the F3 key.

alidad

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Maybe you're seeing something that I'm not. Where in that prefpane is there an option to remap the LaunchPad key?

no macbook has a launchpad change option, but since the macbook air has a designated key for launchpad, the key which it's in (F4) can be replaced with dashboard via the info i've provided.

bob99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Hi Alidad,

Sadly, that doesn't work. Even when "Show Dashboard" is set to F4, pressing the key brings up the launchpad. I also tried using the combination of FunctionFlip and changing the settings in Mission Control, but it still doesn't work.

(If I hold down my function key and press F4, it gives me the traditional Dashboard overlay... But I'm trying to figure out how to make it just go back.)

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
I would be interested in knowing if there was a solution for this, too! Launchpad is a pile of rubbish! Particularly because it picks up every executable on the laptop... Including repair programs etc. etc. that I do not want cluttering the place up!

bob99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Holy damn moley...

I'm happy to say that I figured this one out. Here's how you do it.

1. In System Preferences -> Keyboard, click on the Keyboard tab
2. Click on "Use All F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys
3.Now, install FunctionFlip, available here:
http://kevingessner.com/software/functionflip/
4.In the FunctionFlip Preference Panel, set it so it starts on login. Now flip every single key except for F4: (null)

Now you'll have your sweet, sweet dashboard back without needing to hold down the function key.

That one was annoying! Thanks to Kevin, the sweet dude who makes FunctionFlip.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Holy damn moley...

4.In the FunctionFlip Preference Panel, set it so it starts on login. Now flip every single key except for F4: (null)

Now you'll have your sweet, sweet dashboard back without needing to hold down the function key.

Nevermind, a reboot did the trick! Also, you have to go to the Mission Control preference pane & change Dashboard from F12 to F4.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Holy damn moley...

Thank you!

I was shocked there was no easy way to remap that key. But the tip about using FunctionFlip, which I already had installed in my failed attempts prior, did the trick. Plus LaunchPad is still there with fn-F4 if I ever decide I want to use it.

While I too don't use Dashboard for much more than an on-demand calculator all is well again. Well aside from the fact that control-two-finger-scroll no longer zooms. While I didn't use it too much on my 2010 Air I did use it. Now it won't work. Off to solve that one...

Michael

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Thank you!

I was shocked there was no easy way to remap that key. But the tip about using FunctionFlip, which I already had installed in my failed attempts prior, did the trick. Plus LaunchPad is still there with fn-F4 if I ever decide I want to use it.

While I too don't use Dashboard for much more than an on-demand calculator all is well again. Well aside from the fact that control-two-finger-scroll no longer zooms. While I didn't use it too much on my 2010 Air I did use it. Now it won't work. Off to solve that one...

Michael

Go here

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 4.52.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 4.52.53 PM.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 690

bob99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Great tip! I too had a hard time finding the two finger zoom, but now that it's restored, Lion is running perfectly!

Timonsta

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Ran into this thread when trying to figure out a similar issue. I used BetterTouchTool to reassign a few keys. It also has several other useful features..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.