Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealMcCoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Quicktime, not exactly what I'd call "Quick" or "Timely" when it comes to exporting newly joined movie files... I don't exactly know What it's doing that makes it such an absurdly long process.

But I know it doesn't take 7-10 hours just to join 2 files together... If the files where encoded differently in two different dimensions/formats or you just wanted to export a newly created file in another format then I would understand the need for it to do this. But there doesn't seem to be any intelligent media detection or even the option of turning off the device formatting or re-encoding...

I've been looking about the MR forum, all the posts I've read so far conclude to another software you would need to buy. Is there not a plug-in/extension or mod to turn it off? It seems a bit silly to go out and buy another piece software to do the same job when you already have it on you computer just because one common sense option is missing.

(encoding on/off)

What about imovie? Where is the option to turn off re-encoding/formatting on that when you don't need it? I just need to join the two original files into one... I don't need to change the content of the files or rebuild them.

Any suggestion would be much obliged because I'm face-palming at "the worlds most advanced Desktop OS with all the software you should need" and yet you can't even join a 2 part movie together in under a few seconds? :eek:

Last edited:

TheRealMcCoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2010
I convert all my movies into mp4 for itunes and apple tv2... I have duplicate titles and artwork which makes a very long and slow loading list because a lot of them are double disc movies...

Last edited:

andmr

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
NE Florida
I just need to join the two original files into one... I don't need to change the content of the files or rebuild them.

Have you tried Copy and Paste?

Say you have two MPEG files, Part_1.mp4 and Part_2.mp4. Open Part_1 and click the "go to end" button on the QT Player so that the timeline slider becomes positioned at the end of Part_1.

Open Part_2 in a new QuickTime Player document. (New movies should be set to open in new players; check the appropriate box in QT Player Preferences if necessary.) While Part_2's player window is active choose Select All from QT's Edit menu (⌘A), and then Copy (⌘C). Reactivate Part_1's player window, and then Paste (⌘V). Part_2 has now been appended to Part_1.

Choose Save As from QT's File menu and save it as a new QT Movie. (While the new combined file must be saved with a .mov extension, no actual re-encoding takes place as would happen if you'd chosen Export.)

I have no idea how reliable this approach would be with very large files, however. Good luck.

Above tested using Mac OS 10.4.11 and QuickTime Pro 7.6.4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.