Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
in order to prevent this from happening, maybe the best way is to ship flash player with mac os x. :D

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I get that this isn't a virus, but I'd also like to point out that the overwhelming majority of Windows-based malware also consists of trojans rather than actual viruses. In addition, I don't think the distinction means much to your average end user.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Another reason to use OpenDNS as your DNS. Even if you get fooled by something this obvious there's at least a net to catch you before you fall.

What net?
OpenDNS does not follow RFCs for name resolution. They hijack and redirected failed name look-ups.

UntamedNL

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
A short question:
I am kinda new too Mac OSX so I wonder if i need to download that anti malware program Apple gives. Or does that come standard on OS X Lion? I can't find it in my programs.

Thanks!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
...and nothing to do with Trojans, right?

It is a trojan but is really does have nothing to do with Flash. This could be posing as an update to Safari, Mail.app, iPhone or anything else basically.

What net?
OpenDNS does not follow RFCs for name resolution. They hijack and redirected failed name look-ups.

They also provide some anti-phishing and typo correction, which basically means if you really wanted to go to that phishing site or to gogle.com, you can't.

And again : It doesn't help at all in this case. Once the host file is modified, unless you changed your nsswitch.conf to make dns take priority over the host file, the system resolver will honor the entry in the host file.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Is this a sign?

Or just coincidence that in less then half a year two trojans show up in mac land.

yes, it's beginning. mac is not ruled out from malware, virus anymore. it means that mac os X could be vulnerable (even worst than windows 7). in terms of system protection, mac os x is very weak. you should remember it.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
A short question:
I am kinda new too Mac OSX so I wonder if i need to download that anti malware program Apple gives. Or does that come standard on OS X Lion? I can't find it in my programs.

Thanks!

it comes standard built in. My advice to any mac owner, is just keep up with the updates. It lets you know of any once every week automatically i believe :D

Sjhonny

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
The land of the cucumbers
Trojans have been around for much longer than that on OS X, this is a sign of status quo is anything. It just gets reported more than it used to.

Well that's what I mean. I know they have existed for like forever, but I think we can agree on the fact that there hundreds, maybe even thousands trojans available in the wild, but they just pass the review unnoticed. But since there tend to afloat more (they even get posted on MR!), wouldn't this also imply there are more unnoticed samples?

somewhat offtopic: Does anyone know of a Rootkit for OS X (obsolete or not)?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Funny.... I updated Flash yesterday on my kids' Mac mini and I thought that writing a Trojan that masquerades as an update to Flash would be brilliant since Flash is updated so often and getting prompted that you need to update Flash to view a website is very common..... And then today, here it is.

Hmm, what are you thinking about today?

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Ever heard of the site jealbreakme.com? :p There's no single man made OS (with extensive GUI elements and under the hood frameworks etc.) currently Trojan free.
Jailbreakme.com uses an actual exploit in the operating system. I was speaking generally about a basic trojan—one which tricks the user into installing it only to become something unexpected. Through the App Store the only way this can happen is if Apple actually allows it to slip through inspection. To hype that slim possibility as statistically significant would be hyperbolic. Actually, it is a little hyperbolic to use jailbreakme.com as an example of there being a real trojan threat on iOS, whether combining an exploit or otherwise.

Even iOS has had trojan/spyware
If you jailbreak it, some. If you don't jailbreak it, what? Spyware, perhaps, in the form of applications extracting information which isn't clearly announced to the user, but not on par with what many people expect when they hear the word 'Spyware' these days.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
A question I have though, is under what conditions should ANY software modify the hosts file? Should Apple even allow programs that have been granted administrative rights to alter the hosts file? There is only a very limited benvolent use case for such an action, and that very related to what they did here: some anti-ad or anti-spyware utilities modify a host file to redirect known ad-producing domains to a "safe" domain. I personally think any modification of the host file should be given a warning like this:

The hosts file is not the only file in OS X that can be altered to yield malicious results. Apple would have to undertake an enormous amount of effort to protect every file that a given instance of malware can tamper with.

The problem, to me, seems to be traditional installers that do all kinds of things behind the user's back. I don't understand why Apple even supports installers anymore. Apple created a brilliant method of software installation with app bundles. Just drag and drop the app to your Applications folders and it's done. I'd always assumed that's where OS X was headed eventually and that installers were on their way out.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
menu go to folder ..type this: /etc/
then open - hosts
the inside should look like this if it has not been modified
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

Question is does Xprotect have the capability to undo damage done by this malware? Can it repair the hosts file?

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
OpenDNS does not prevent this at all and OpenDNS has all sorts of other issues.
Yep. Every time I've tried to use it I've come across some kind of crazy problem or another, usually involving accessing certain types of content on the internet. I don't have much love for OpenDNS.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The hosts file is not the only file in OS X that can be altered to yield malicious results. Apple would have to undertake an enormous amount of effort to protect every file that a given instance of malware can tamper with.

The problem, to me, seems to be traditional installers that do all kinds of things behind the user's back. I don't understand why Apple even supports installers anymore. Apple created a brilliant method of software installation with app bundles. Just drag and drop the app to your Applications folders and it's done. I'd always assumed that's where OS X was headed eventually and that installers were on their way out.

I agree. The App Store nulls the drag-and-drop installation that we've come to love, and I think many third-party developers have abused multi-step installers, maybe in an attempt to make the software installation process familiar to Windows converts.

Long live application bundles. There's no reason that an application can't install the necessary support files upon the first launch. That would make it self-repairing if those files were ever removed afterwards. No need for a separate installer.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Hmm, what are you thinking about today?

Today I am thinking it would be brilliant if Apple gave away free MacBook Airs with the purchase of an iPhone charging adapter. Let's see if I really focus on that if it comes true tomorrow.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Today I am thinking it would be great if brilliant if Apple gave away free MacBook Airs with the purchase of an iPhone charging adapter. Let's see if I really focus on that if it comes true tomorrow.

I'll be honest. I could use another iPhone charging adapter.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Search results on the fake Google pages actually lead to pop-up windows that load external content which was broken at the time of discovery

The detail in which these developers are going to mimic real software is simply striking. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.