Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
beautiful...

That building design is beyond dope-a-licious! I hope I can land a job at Apple in Cupertino by 2015. :)

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Hmmm, I'm sure they've thought of this, but how would all that glass react to a sizable earthquake? I mean, this IS California we're talking about.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
The problem with round buildings is you can't simply put a rectangular shaped object flat against the wall, thus wasting a lot of space. Also what if I need to get to the opposite end of the building but it is raining out so I can't walk through the court yard? I have to walk all the way around the building!

While it sure does look wonderful I would say it is very much form over function.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
The problem with round buildings is you can't simply put a rectangular shaped object flat against the wall, thus wasting a lot of space. Also what if I need to get to the opposite end of the building but it is raining out so I can't walk through the court yard? I have to walk all the way around the building!

While it sure does look wonderful I would say it is very much form over function.

First of all the rooms inside don't have to be totally round, they can have flat walls and a rounded window. As for the weather, it rains very little in cupertino, so i doubt this is much of a concern. It's SoCal. Won't kill people to take a walk around the building a couple of time a year.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Hmmm, I'm sure they've thought of this, but how would all that glass react to a sizable earthquake? I mean, this IS California we're talking about.

That thing has antigravity boosters that will fly into space. Because Apple's secretly building a UFO to put the first retail store on Mars.

After all, it IS the mothership

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Compare this design with Microsoft's campus. Their campuses reflect their individual personalities... and a reflection of their products/style.

Microsoft - big, boring, typical, etc.

Apple - innovative, unique, wow factor, etc.

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
I think Jobs expects this to be his swan song. When he leaves Apple, I'm pretty sure it'll be the most profitable company in the world and have the largest market cap. This is just a way of giving it an iconic headquarters to match.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The problem with round buildings is you can't simply put a rectangular shaped object flat against the wall, thus wasting a lot of space.

You realize how big this building is... right?

The bigger the diameter... the less curved it will be. Besides... the interior width of the building is 180' across.

You probably won't even see the curve if you're looking directly at the outer wall from the inside.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
This could easily be the next wonder of the world. I would love to see this building in person!

I'm going to feel bad for 1 Infinite Loop, though. Poor baby..it's going to be overshadowed by the new HQ.

It's a circle, they've been around a few years...:confused:

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007

Ok, this is freaking apple here, with the most awesome modern building in the world, with no straight edges... Do yo really think that they will have straight edge furniture against that beautiful glass, to obstruct the view of that beautiful landscape?

You must learn to think like apple thinks.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
First of all the rooms inside don't have to be totally round, they can have flat walls and a rounded window. As for the weather, it rains very little in cupertino, so i doubt this is much of a concern. It's SoCal. Won't kill people to take a walk around the building a couple of time a year.

Cupertino isn't in Southern California. It's in Northern California, which gets a bit more rainfall than SoCal. Cupertino averages 18 inches of rain annually.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Cupertino isn't in Southern California. It's in Northern California, which gets a bit more annual rainfall than SoCal. Cupertino averages 18 inches of rain annually.

Oh wow, i have no idea why i thought it was in SoCal. My mistake. :p

Still though, not a big deal to walk around the building.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re close encounters of the 3rd kind - in cupertino

remember this scene from the movie

Farmer: [at press conference to discuss UFOs] I saw Bigfoot once!
[everyone in thr room reacts. The Farmer stands up]
Farmer: 1951! It made a sound that I would not want to hear twice in my life.
[sits down]

"the journey..." - boston

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
Just hope no one decides to throw a rock a through a window or two :D

Might have to have security keep an eye out for Mark Zuckerberg since he will no longer able to take perspective employees up into the hills without having them look right at Apple HQ making them want to work there instead ;)

Last edited:

JohnnyLemonhead

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2008
1. Am I the only one who thinks this structure smacks of the Pentagon, both in looks and in philosophy? I know this is round and the Pentagon is, well, a pentagon, but the big building with a giant hollow center is very Pentagon-ish. Plus they look like they will be roughly the same size.
2. Am I the only one who thinks building this in California, an increasingly terrible state for taxes (and a lot of other business related things) is not the best idea? I guess this generation of Tech czars are just too liberal and have so much money that they can afford to cost themselves (and the company) money because they want to stay in beautiful Northern California where all the rest of the cool liberal visionaries live. Maybe 30 years from now when more pragmatic people are running Google, eBay, Apple and Oracle they will think about locating the business headquarters in Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida etc, etc, etc. I guess now they're just making too much money to care about a few billion every year needlessly lost to the welfare state of California.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
The problem with round buildings is you can't simply put a rectangular shaped object flat against the wall, thus wasting a lot of space.

If you would have reviewed the posted plans before you commented, you would have seen the circulation area (aka hallway) is on the outside and inside of the rings. No one is going to have an office up against the glass. Well, maybe Steve. But that's it.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
2. Am I the only one who thinks building this in California, an increasingly terrible state for taxes (and a lot of other business related things) is not the best idea? I guess this generation of Tech czars are just too liberal and have so much money that they can afford to cost themselves (and the company) money because they want to stay in beautiful Northern California where all the rest of the cool liberal visionaries live. Maybe 30 years from now when more pragmatic people are running Google, eBay, Apple and Oracle they will think about locating the business headquarters in Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida etc, etc, etc. I guess now they're just making too much money to care about a few billion every year needlessly lost to the welfare state of California.

Suck it up bro. Maybe they don't want to be surrounded by dumb rednecks who do whatever fox news tells them to. Btw way to turn the thread political. Designed by Apple in Kentucky Y'all...doesn't quite have a ring to it.

And PS...
Apple IS a liberal corporation, always has been and always will be. And their roots are in Cupertino because that's where steve jobs grew up. He went to Cupertino Middle School for god's sake.

JohnnyLemonhead

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2008
Suck it up bro. Maybe they don't want to be surrounded by dumb rednecks who do whatever fox news tells them to. Btw way to turn the thread political. Designed by Apple in Kentucky Y'all...doesn't quite have a ring to it.

Oh OK. So the shareholders are happy to fork over billions every year for the right to say "Designed by Apple in California?" Does anyone care where their computer was designed? If they do then they are buying for the wrong reasons. The only thing that matters is 1. Does the product work 2. Does it work well 3. Do I need/want it. 4. Am I willing to pay the asking price. I fail to see how the geographical origin of the design fits into this equation.

Bottom line, in time, when Apple is experiencing another dip in demand (this will happen again someday ppl) and California taxes are even higher the shareholders will start clamoring for a move to another state or overseas. This will likely be the last building in California that Apple will call home.

p.s. who in the world cares where Steve Jobs grew up or went to school? Do the shareholders care? Does Steve Jobs own 100% of the stock?

drumrobot

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009
That thing has antigravity boosters that will fly into space. Because Apple's secretly building a UFO to put the first retail store on Mars.

After all, it IS the mothership

Exactly what I was thinking (the second part, at least)... those "I visited the mothership" t-shirts will have a whole new meaning after this. ;)

darknight

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2005
Singapore
Babylon

A temporary smudge on the planet's crust to celebrate our throw-away culture. Throw away some more indentured workers Apple, as they piece together more useless crap under slave conditions. Wow, look at the share price! The height of human achievement!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.