Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prattcmp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
I need to enable something in BIOS, but I do not know how to get to it on the new Mac. I have a quad core iMac with an intel core i5 processor and 8gb of ram. I have the newest Mac Os, Lion, installed as well.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Mac don't have BIOS, Macs use EFI. Apple has made the EFI not accessible by users so changing something won't be easy. What exactly are you trying to change?

Prattcmp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
I am trying to run Windows on Parallels and I keep getting this error.

The virtual machine performance may be degraded because the hardware virtualization support is disabled in the host computer. It is recommended to enable theirs in BIOS settings.

But now I am confused since you say macs don't have bios.

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
You can't use virtualization (Windows XP in Windows 7) inside virtualization (Parallels Desktop in Mac OS X). Maybe VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox might support it (I haven't checked) but there would be problems.

If you're not trying to use Windows XP in Windows 7 in Parallels Desktop, then the problem is with your Mac. What kind of Mac are you trying to install on? What version is the firmware? Is there a later version of the firmware?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

Prattcmp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
I am not trying to run windows xp in windows 7 in parallels. The link you gave me with the firmware updates does not have my Model Identifier: iMac11,3

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
Parallels is looking for VT x which is Intels hardware virtualisation code they use in some of their high end CPU's to improve performance, the consumer Macs ( Mini, iMac, MBP) dont have it or its disabled, the Mac Pro Xeons do AFAIK. You can't do anything about it, just use Parallels as usual.

Prattcmp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
You can't do anything about it, just use Parallels as usual.

Well, see there is a problem. Whenever I try to running it without fixing that problem I run into this error:

Unable to load the Parallels driver.

Restart your Mac and try again.

cinematicme

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Mac don't have BIOS, Macs use EFI. Apple has made the EFI not accessible by users so changing something won't be easy. What exactly are you trying to change?

I'm pretty sure you can get in to the EFI shell through a Loader like rEFIt

Prattcmp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
This will help eliminate which part of the puzzle is the cause.

Okey dokey lokey, I installed it and I got this error:
FATAL" No bootable medium found! System halted.

And yes, I have tried reinstalling.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Are you using a Developer Preview of Lion?

Those issues are only known in the DPs.

Prattcmp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Are you using a Developer Preview of Lion?

Those issues are only known in the DPs.

Nope, I bought it for $30 on the Mac App Store.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 3.44.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 3.44.35 PM.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 481

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Did you upgrade from SL or install Lion from scratch?

I posted a link to a fix via an edit in my previous post.

cinematicme

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
What do you mean?

when you installed your OS (Lion, SL) did you upgrade from another version? ie SL -> Lion or did you wipe your hard drive and fresh install your operating system

issues sometimes arise from an upgrade, but a clean install is really the way to go so there are no conflicts/dependencies that are broken.

Prattcmp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Thank you thank you thank you!!! IT wORKED!

P.S. I upgraded from Snow Leopard.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
There must have been some sort of error during the upgrade if both Lion and Parallels are up to date.

You can repair your installation with the recovery partition to try to avoid having to use that hack to fix the issue.

Prattcmp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
I have run into another problem that maybe someone can fix. I might have to switch forum topics though. I am trying to connect to the internet on Windows and I think this error has something to do with it:

Nevermind!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.