Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

screenwriter85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
My brother and I are getting a Mac Mini for our mom. Which monitors would be the best to use for it?

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
My brother and I are getting a Mac Mini for our mom. Which monitors would be the best to use for it?

Take into account where it will be located and how good your mum's eyes are (I've trouble with mine). Glossy screens are out when there is too much reflection going on (windows / lighting) - I love a matte screen and like something like 21.5 - 24". (15.6 laptop and 17" laptop are too small for me)

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I use a 20" Cinema Display as the primary, and a Dell 1704FPT rotated into portrait as a secondary. Seems to work out well enough :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-11 at 11.12.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-11 at 11.12.47 AM.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,479
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    429.5 KB · Views: 1,362

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Apple Thunderbolt Display would be best because it is Apple and has Thunderbolt and it also a Display.

I DO love my 27" cinema display but glossy screens are not for everyone. Consider "this dell" 24" it's IPs and matt finish for a pice of $399. Very nice display for the cash.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Apple Thunderbolt Display would be best because it is Apple and has Thunderbolt and it also a Display.

So, a big glossy monitor is best because of a port which in reality the OP's mom probably wont use (or be able to use until some decent priced consumer TB drives arrive).

To the OP, most DVI monitors will be fine (there is a compatibility thread on here about tested monitors with the MacMini).

Daud

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
As the other poster mentioned, with respect to her eyes, I would get a 22" monitor with 1680x1050 resolution for her eyes to be happy with.

Examples

If you would go for a 1080HD resolution monitor, the 24" like the post above size is a must.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
According to image quality, just make sure you get a LED 1080p monitor

Now, its my personal believe that a white or silver monitor would fit best among the mac mini and the apple keyboard and mouse. If you dont mind getting black, any model will surfice. Below are some white options

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NZGD0O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-V2400-Ec...DN0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313371854&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Haier-HL22XSL...73KI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313371868&sr=8-3

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
LED and Glossy Monitors Bother Some Folks...

People experience eyestrain and headaches. I'm one of them and I'm not alone... Do a Google search on the subject or if you are really interested I can provide some links.

I'm sticking with a CCFL-backlit monitor.

Here is one that has excellent reviews: http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/lcd2490wuxi2-bk

Figure paying around $650 at Amazon or B&H Photo.

If that is too much I can recommend a 24" matte LCD display that is around $200, but I'll have to get back to you because I haven't been able to locate the display info. I'm waiting to hear back from a client who is using the display...

No matter which display that you wind up selecting, be sure the retailer has a decent return policy just in case your mother doesn't care for the display.

Last edited:

Lani Davis

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
Lindon, UT
I have the Samsung PX2370. It's 23 inches, LED, matte, and full 1080P. It's a great monitor and just the right size.

I also have a PX2370 - it's a little bit more than some of the other 23 inch LED but the picture is incredible. It's also on topledmonitors top 10 list for best LED monitors.

@Mojo1 - I also have eyestrain because I work on a computer all day long... LED monitors seem to help although maybe it's just the newer technology.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
In the past I did the glossy monitors and had to fight the annoying glare and I would often get headaches after using it for awhile. Most recently I purchased a couple of HP LED 2311X 23" Matte monitors. I had actually purchased them for staff at my office and when we hooked them up I was so impressed. I ended up going back and buying two more to replace both the glossy monitors at my home. I have been very happy. The Mini likes this monitor and works well with it. The colors are vivid and the text is crisp.

I personally wouldn't spend a ton of money like an Apple Cinema for your mother that just doesn't make much logical sense to me. Get her something decent and where ever you buy it, just make sure it has a nice return policy just in case.

By the way this HP LED 2311X is very thin and looks nice on a desk or table top.. has HDMI, DVI and VGA connectors.

Good Luck with your decision!

KScottMyers

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2009
Orlando, FL
So, a big glossy monitor is best because of a port which in reality the OP's mom probably wont use (or be able to use until some decent priced consumer TB drives arrive).

To the OP, most DVI monitors will be fine (there is a compatibility thread on here about tested monitors with the MacMini).

You do realize that the Thunderbolt port does power the display, HD camera and microphone, speakers, 3 usb ports, a firewire 800 port and an ethernet port? What other display does that?

I'd say its the best display for the new mini.

Last edited:

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
You do realize that the Thunderbolt port does power the display, HD camera and microphone, 3 usb ports, a firewire 800 port and an ethernet port? What other display does that?

OH Yeah, this guys mother is really going to care about all that, so he will spend all this money unnecessarily just because! LOL

It maybe the best display for geeks like us, but probably not for this persons mother!

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
You do realize that the Thunderbolt port does power the display, HD camera and microphone, 3 usb ports, a firewire 800 port and an ethernet port?

Yes I know it does have all that, did you know the Mac Mini has 4 USB ports, Firewire and an Ethernet port as well. O.k. it doesn't have a webcam and microphone. As pointed out the OP mom probably doesn't care about the supposed benefits you are promoting.

What other display does that?

I guess none

Sure if you love glossy screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.