Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

adobe_muse_icon.jpg

Adobe today announced the launch of a beta version of new website-building tools codenamed "Muse" that will allow users to easily create websites without needing to know HTML. Being compared in some ways as an advanced version of Apple's phased-out iWeb software, Muse is targeted at print designers with little or no experience in web design.
Plan your project -- Easy-to-use sitemaps, master pages, and a host of flexible, site-wide tools make it fast and intuitive to get your site planned out and ready for design.
Design your pages -- Combine imagery, graphics and text with complete control, flexibility and power (almost as if you were using Adobe InDesign).
Add interactivity -- Drag and drop fully customizable widgets like navigation menus and slide shows, embed HTML code snippets to include things like Google Maps, enable tool tips, rollovers and much more.
Publish your site -- Preview your site with Muse to see how it looks and test how it works. Then convert to a live website using Adobe for hosting, or export the HTML for hosting with a provider of your choice.
Adobe Muse offers users familiar with such products as Illustrator, InDesign, and Dreamweaver an easy transition to HTML-free web design, with customizable drag-and-drop widgets being complemented by embeddable code from sites like Google Maps and Facebook to extend the functionality.

As Macworld notes, users will not be required to use Adobe's hosting service for projects created in Muse, but the company is planning to introduce new features such as blogs, contact forms, and shopping carts that would require users to utilize Adobe hosting if they wish to take advantage of the features.

Muse is currently in a free public beta phase, with the official version set to launch early next year. Muse will be a subscription-based product, with pricing set at $20 per month or $180 per year. Adobe notes that it intends to roll out new features for Muse on a regular basis ("probably quarterly"), making a subscription model a better option than Adobe's traditional system of standalone purchases of major versions released every 18-24 months.

Article Link: Adobe Introduces 'Muse' Subscription-Based Website Creation Tools

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Sounds quite showbiz. I wonder if it will have an origin of symmetry tool, that would gain it some absolution for creating Flash, which I think many of us wish would be sucked away by some sort of black holes. And revelations of any other features might not be then met with the resistance they might have otherwise.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Adobe was built on the concept that really useful, creative programs will keep your customers loyal.

The last decade I've seen that vision fade more and more. It was looking like they'd soon be the next Microsoft...profiting from minor upgrades to decades-old software and doing few new things to excite people.

But I gotta say, these last few months have shown more and more promise. There have been a couple of new things like this recently that really gives me hope that Adobe will soon be back on track.

Here's hoping.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Adobe's arrogance is ridiculous. "There is no other product out there like it". Really? I use Goldfish Pro and there's nothing I haven't been able to do in it. Then there's...

Freeway Pro, which pioneered WYSIWYG web design 5 years ago.
Rapidweaver
Flux
Sandvox
BlueGriffon
Hype

Last edited:

fredfnord

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Requirements

"Ooh, that sounds interesting, I've definitely got to try..."

"First, download Adobe AIR."

"Uh... riiiight. Next!"

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
hopefully adobe will fill in the gaps that apple left after not supporting their software anymore.

seems my next iLife upgrade will be from Adobe: Photoshop elements, Lightroom, Premiere elements, Muse. Apple can provide iTunes.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
hmm...with even easier ways to make and maintain websites, it may be a good time to rethink taking too many web design classes.

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Sounds quite showbiz. I wonder if it will have an origin of symmetry tool, that would gain it some absolution for creating Flash, which I think many of us wish would be sucked away by some sort of black holes. And revelations of any other features might not be then met with the resistance they might have otherwise.

Time is running out for adobe

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Good news for web designers (the non-experienced designers will think this makes everything, but then so many things can't be done, and that's where real web designers come in! money in the box, I'm curious to see if this has a future).

BTW, this on page 1?

apttap

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5288d)

If the code output is a garbled mess or a JavaScript file, it's a huge fail.

How about you leave web design to people that understand the web? If you can't learn a couple simple scripting languages, forget it.

LemCen

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010

At least Adobe unlike Apple isn't Ruled by Secrecy :D

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Well good. Glad somebody did it.

I'm still surprised & somewhat annoyed that Apple would be so loud and brazen about quashing Flash, tell everyone that HTML5 is the future, & then discontinue iWeb and sit on their hands listening to the crickets chirp instead of offering some kind of wysiwyg HTML5 editor to replace it.

I'm not sure if Apple is devaluing individual creativity, or if they're just behind the ball on media types. For all the emphasis they've put on photos and music, the user-experience for video and vector-based animation seems to be an afterthought or non-existant.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5288d)

If the code output is a garbled mess or a JavaScript file, it's a huge fail.

How about you leave web design to people that understand the web? If you can't learn a couple simple scripting languages, forget it.

Worse yet, in 6 or 12 months, imagine the poor sap that's asked to fix the site after the guy that built it with this is long gone. Fixing Dreamweaver based sites was bad enough, now this?..

Get Wordpress, buy a theme, and get on with it. This Adobe junk isn't needed.

Props to Adobe for creating another 1998 solution in 2011.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Uhg. That video... half of it was COMPLETE bullsh-t blathery nothingness waste-o-time words. After 2 Mins, got it, quit talking and show something. They kept showing the same 2 or 3 screens with boxes tweaking. Woopti! Show us what $180/year buys, or package it with CS as another add-on software suite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.