Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Thanks. I'll send some feedback to Apple although I'm not sure if they will take the issues regarding a third party input device like the PS3 controller seriously. Hopefull they will fix it in an upcoming point update along with all the other issues and bugs I and others are facing.

I must admit when I got my PowerBook back in 2005 it was just before the release of Tiger and when I upgraded to Tiger I had no issues. When I got my original revision MacBook Air with Leopard and my 2009 Mac Mini with Snow Leopard both OS's had been out for a while and had already received point updates and gave me no problems. Lion is the first Mac OS where I have faced bugs and issues from the beginning.

You have been lucky :) I have never experienced a .0 OS release that did not have side effects and regressions on at least a few machines. Then again I get exposed to lots of complex software and machines in my day job :)

Edwin

drxcm

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
10.7.1 has not fixed this for me on the 11" Macbook Air.
Still asking for the passkey when they pair over bluetooth, so not useable.

:(

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
10.7.1 has not fixed this for me on the 11" Macbook Air.
Still asking for the passkey when they pair over bluetooth, so not useable.

:(

Can you send me your support report using a Feral game to support and mention you spoke to me in the forums. I have a similar laptop here and it works fine so I would like to se if you have a different bluetooth chip or drivers.

Edwin

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
We will have of course keep investigating the issue but early reports and testing it looks like this is a bug in OS X Lion & certain Bluetooth chips.

Edwin

Just a guess, but it may only be a problem with the Bluetooth on new Mac Minis and MBAs with Lion because Apple just switched from BT 2.1 + EDR to BT 4.0. I would be interested to find out whether this problem also affects Macs with Lion and BT 2.1 and earlier (MBPs, iMacs, MPs).

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Just a guess, but it may only be a problem with the Bluetooth on new Mac Minis and MBAs with Lion because Apple just switched from BT 2.1 + EDR to BT 4.0. I would be interested to find out whether this problem also affects Macs with Lion and BT 2.1 and earlier (MBPs, iMacs, MPs).

I have a new 2011 mini (Lion only) in QA which sync's the PS3 pad in the Bluetooth options panel and does not bring up the prompt to enter a code. This gets more and more weird!

Edwin

drxcm

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
Can you send me your support report using a Feral game to support and mention you spoke to me in the forums. I have a similar laptop here and it works fine so I would like to se if you have a different bluetooth chip or drivers.

Edwin

Can I do this with a demo download? I dont have any Feral games..

Milliva

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
Hi, I've recently purchased a ps3 sixaxis dualschock 3 controller, mainly to play a few games more easily than i can with a keyboard and mouse. Heres the thing...having trawled online pages for answers, the best i found was the link to the feral video showing how easy it is to hook up this controller to my mac, no drivers, just simple. But it doesn't seem to work for me, the controller does not show up in the bluetooth and does not appear to be showing up at all on my mac.

I've followed all the rules to connect it to the mac, but the simple fact is it does not appear to show up anywhere on my mac.

its a 2008 iMac running 10.6.8 and it's really annoying me as i don't see why it shouldn't work when it appears to do so for so many others i see on forums like this. Can anyone please help me, I waited for when i would receive my controller so i could play games with it, but what a bummer now :(

aonali21

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Jhang.Punjab,Pakistan
I'm looking for a gamepad to make my Mac game playing experience, more like my consoles, and don't really know where to start, because of all the different options, and possibly compatibility issues.

In your opinion, what's the best gamepad controller out there for the Mac platform?

Thanks,
NickD

I would recommend getting the Sega Saturn USB PC controller from ebay. Said that because it's a mackup of the Sega Saturn's 2nd model 6-button controller that has a great deel to it and legendary d-pad.
It's been called the best gamepad ever, for good reason.

FaulconD

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2011
I'm using a wireless PS3 Controller that did work well with MC Domination. It syncs easily with Lion via bluetooth. There are some excellent syncing tutorials on Youtube.

It worked very well with all buttons on default. However, I "foolishly" decided to invert both sets of buttons one and two. Since then the game fails on the last step, when detecting the gamepad and will not activate the game.

I think I need to reset the gamepad controls to default... but can not get by the detection phase.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or could suggest where the modificaitons might be saved?

And finally, can anyone suggest other Mac games that work well with the PS3 wireless controller?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Just an update from me. I've made some progress with my syncing issue. I got the PS3 controller to connect via Bluetooth by entering 0000 as the pass code. However I've tried playing both the Bioshock demo and the full version of Portal 2 and it doesn't work with either. I'm not sure if it's a technical issue or the controller just doesn't work with those games. Do I need to install controller software for the PS3 controller ?

danielsmu

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
Just an update from me. I've made some progress with my syncing issue. I got the PS3 controller to connect via Bluetooth by entering 0000 as the pass code. However I've tried playing both the Bioshock demo and the full version of Portal 2 and it doesn't work with either. I'm not sure if it's a technical issue or the controller just doesn't work with those games. Do I need to install controller software for the PS3 controller ?

Thank you for updating on this. Did you do anything different to get the PS3 controller to pair using that passcode?

I'm on a 2011 Mac Mini and I've tried that passcode before but it just caused the same passcode popup to appear for me. The only method I had any success with was deleting all of my bluetooth preferences files. Even then, that only allowed the controller to pair for a few hours or so before the passcode dialog box appeared again.

Ahh the joys of being an early adopter :rolleyes:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Thank you for updating on this. Did you do anything different to get the PS3 controller to pair using that passcode?

I'm on a 2011 Mac Mini and I've tried that passcode before but it just caused the same passcode popup to appear for me. The only method I had any success with was deleting all of my bluetooth preferences files. Even then, that only allowed the controller to pair for a few hours or so before the passcode dialog box appeared again.

Ahh the joys of being an early adopter :rolleyes:

I didn't do anything different. I just followed the instructions given earlier in this thread. that said the controller connected but didn't actually work with the games I tried. I think I'm just going to get a wired Xbox 360 controller and be done with it. It's much better supported in PC and Mac games anyway. I was trying to stay wireless as my various other controllers for my consoles are all wireless.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I have a Logitech Precision Pro digital joypad. It's designed like a playstation dual shock, but without the analog controls (I only use it for 2D fighting games in mame).
I'm sure the version with analog controls is just as good. I also have an Attack 3 joystick.

Very satisfied with Logitech, absolutely no drivers to install, works right out of the box. The new joypads are all with analog control and there's no mention of Mac support, but I suppose there wouldn't be a problem.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
For people with the code prompt constantly appearing you can try these steps as listed in the IMG forums.

Please note you don't need to use the PAN setting you should be able to open the bluetooth assistant by clicking on the + button in System Preferences / Bluetooth.

Good Luck

Edwin

danielsmu

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
For people with the code prompt constantly appearing you can try these steps as listed in the IMG forums.

Please note you don't need to use the PAN setting you should be able to open the bluetooth assistant by clicking on the + button in System Preferences / Bluetooth.

Good Luck

Edwin

Thanks Edwin! I was only able to briefly test before work today, but this solution seemed to work perfectly.

I had previously successfully paired a Sixaxis and Dualshock PS3 gamepad to my 2011 Mac mini after deleting my Bluetooth preferences files. My problem was that after a few hours, I would start to get the pairing code popup which prevented the controllers from pairing. I only mention that because both PS3 gamepads were already listed in my Bluetooth devices list, they just wouldn’t pair (i.e. change from a red to a green light).

I tried to pair my 2011 Mini to my 2010 Macbook Pro (both running Lion) through the pairing interface on my Mini. The pairing was unsuccessful and I clicked the “Passcode options” button and then checked the radio button that said the device (my 2010 Macbook Pro) didn’t use a passcode. Now when I press the PS button on either gamepad, they pair instantly without asking for a pairing code. I tested them both in MAME and they work great.

Next steps will be to try pairing again after a few hours as well as rebooting my Mini to make sure this is a stable solution. I’ll post back with my results in a day or two, but this looks very promising so far. Thanks again!

danielsmu

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
Well, I may have spoken too soon. This solution does appear to work consistently; however, when I reboot my machine and try to pair the controllers, I'm presented with the same pairing dialog box.

It's definitely the best solution available, but it looks like we'll need to repeat these steps after each reboot.

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
controllermate settings

I use a PS3 controller with Controllermate. You should really check it out. I've got configurations for all my games. The best part is that you can set it to automatically start a profile when you start a game (besides source games, which have no .app). It doesn't even have to be running. Just set it up. Exit. Then you never have to see it again. Very seamless and Mac-esque.

Unfortunately gamepads on computer games have always been almost a niche product. It's even worse on Macs, so after searching and searching. The PS3/360 controller plus controllermate seemed to be the best option.

do you have the set up for cod4? I downloaded controller mate but I don't know what to set all the buttons at. It would be nice if it would set all the buttons automatically.

jasonmak1

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2011
t just doesn't work with me, i have a mbp17 early 11 and it just say that playstation(r)3 controller, type keyboard and it also says not paired, even though i have already connected the controller with usb. and after a while, it just stop connecting. i have already installed the gamepad and the ps3controllerinstal.0.01, what can i do with this?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
t just doesn't work with me, i have a mbp17 early 11 and it just say that playstation(r)3 controller, type keyboard and it also says not paired, even though i have already connected the controller with usb. and after a while, it just stop connecting. i have already installed the gamepad and the ps3controllerinstal.0.01, what can i do with this?

"ps3controllerinstal.0.01" could be the problem I never use drivers when getting the PS3 pad to work.

Edwin

DIESEL-X

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
Hit and miss for me.

The PS3 controller works with some App Store Apps i.e. 'Trine' right off the shelf and with using bluetooth... yet if I fire-up Mac version Call of Duty 4, then not a chance in hell as the game's controller setup options menu just doesn't respond to a single button-push from the controller. As mentioned Trine works straight-off but you do have to customise a few buttons as the default setup just hasn't really been setup effectively.

We need a proper default OS X Lion - PS3 driver that 'ALL' games will respond/recognise and proper OS X joypad mapping utility software, once and for all please Apple?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hit and miss for me.

The PS3 controller works with some App Store Apps i.e. 'Trine' right off the shelf and with using bluetooth... yet if I fire-up Mac version Call of Duty 4, then not a chance in hell as the game's controller setup options menu just doesn't respond to a single button-push from the controller. As mentioned Trine works straight-off but you do have to customise a few buttons as the default setup just hasn't really been setup effectively.

We need a proper default OS X Lion - PS3 driver that 'ALL' games will respond/recognise and proper OS X joypad mapping utility software, once and for all please Apple?

There is no need for a driver (perhaps a bug fix to fix the pairing issues in bluetooth some people are having) but the pad itself is 100% HID compliant so supporting the PS3 pad is similar to supporting any other USB pad like the ones from Logitech for example.

The main difference is every button on the PS3 pad has digital and analogue sensors (no other pads do this) so you need to make sure your game knows how to pickup the one you want however this is relatively simple as you can get all the information you need using a USB programs like the Apple sample program "HID Calibrator".

Mapping software will not solve all the issues as you need to make the game compatible with gamepads which usually is the problem. A universal SDK would be useful but it would not be a golden bullet.

Finally compared to the 360 pad which does not use any published standards and requires special hardware and software to work on a Mac the PS3 pad (and the Wii) are a lot easier to get working.

Edwin

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
When it comes to 360 controllers, will both the 360 version and the Windows version work on a Mac . . . ?

I'm assuming that the Windows version won't need any drivers and will be more compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.