Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HBO has been a popular programming source for iTunes Store users since its debut three years ago due to the premium cable channel's highly-regarded original programming. As noticed by one MacRumors reader, the iTunes Store has just begun offering HD versions of a number of HBO shows, adding another option for those looking for higher-quality content.

hbo_rome_hd.png
Among the shows now available in HD: Big Love, Bored to Death, Carnivale, Curb Your Enthusiasm (Season 7), Deadwood, Eastbound & Down, Entourage (Seasons 3-7), Flight of the Conchords (Season 2), The Life & Times of Tim, Hung, Rome, Six Feet Under (Seasons 3-5), The Sopranos, True Blood

As with most HD content on the iTunes Store, episodes carry a $1.00 premium over their respective standard-definition versions. Most HBO content is priced at $3.99 HD and $2.99 SD, although some shows come in at $2.99 HD and $1.99 SD. The new HD offerings appear to be available in the United States and Canada.

Article Link: HBO Shows Now Available in HD on iTunes

JangoFett124

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Am I the only one still surprised and disappointed that Apple, a forward-thinking company, still charges a premium for HD?

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

is it past seasons only or ongoing seasons?

(didn't read article, stuck in boring company meeting$

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
3,99 for one episode??? that's like 49 $ for a whole 12 episode season, u can get the same for like 35 $ on BluRay. studios r stuck in 1990 or sth

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Whew, I guess I'm out of it. The only one of those shows I've even heard of is the Sopranos.

Don't watch much TV. And I definitely don't have HBO.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
If you already have HBO and an iPad you can stream all those shows and all current movies with HBO Go. But no AirPlay. Blocked.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Price seems high. Content seems old.

What is sad, is they'll look at how much money they [don't] make with this, and conclude that 'piracy makes them lose money'.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
If in iTMS HD = 720p, what will Apple call 1080p content when they are available? (they aren't in the store now, are they?)
720p & 1080i & 1080p are all considered HD. I'm sure if 1080p becomes available, there will be a way to distinguish the format.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Am I the only one still surprised and disappointed that Apple, a forward-thinking company, still charges a premium for HD?

Why not charge more if you can? That's just good business as long as it's profitable doing so.

I also think giving people the option is good for them. Not everyone desires HD. I could also see people with slower internet not willing to wait many hours to start watching a movie.

I buy HD, cause an HD movie downloads in a matter of a few minutes. My sisters house it takes 6-8 hours for HD on her DSL way out in the country. So she chooses SD.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Oh goodie :rolleyes:

Can someone please give me some more info on how I might be able to pay more than twice the amount of a years subscription on one season of one stinking show ?

Cause ..I'm an Apple crazed lunatic frothing at the mouth to give Steve Jobs all my money without thinking.

I have no concept of value and was thinking about throwing two $20 dollar bills into the street ...............But HEY ....I can buy these overpriced shows to fill up gigs on my iPad .....FOR NO REASON

Yaaaaaaeeeyyy !:rolleyes:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Price seems high. Content seems old.

What is sad, is they'll look at how much money they [don't] make with this, and conclude that 'piracy makes them lose money'.

All HBO seasonal releases are like that, they wait till the new season started to release the old one.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
It blows my mind how content providers (i.e. the studios) continue to charge premiums for digital media over physical media when they are able to avoid all of the inherent costs of physical media (materials, production, transportation, labor, insurance, theft, etc.). I continue to refuse to buy digital content at the same price or at mark up, especially when I don't get to share it or use it as I want/need to and I don't get the numerous extra content provided on physical disk copies OR the HD quality of a Blu-Ray. Until then, I catch as much as I can on cable and buy physical disks when I really want to own something long term.

The saddest part of this is that I know, not so deep down, this is exactly the behavior the studios want. So short sighted.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I don't often revisit series , but these are just such amazing shows that I may have to make an exception. Who can forget the first time they saw Carnivale?! Who could expect that? And Deadwood.

HBO takes chances and comes up with some great stuff, then they end it. This is a good chance for people to see some great entertainment that they missed out out before.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007

Yes.

----------

If you already have HBO and an iPad you can stream all those shows and all current movies with HBO Go. But no AirPlay. Blocked.

If I already pay for HBO (as part of the Comcast extortion package) then I'll watch it on my big screen TV.

What I want is HBO ala-carte.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.