Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

o2_logo-150x150.jpg

Several MacRumors readers have informed us that wireless carrier O2 has sent out notices to its retail stores announcing that it will be beginning a three-week process to change out the iPhone displays in its UK stores ahead of the launch of the iPhone 5.

While we don't believe that O2 has specific information on a release date for the iPhone 5, which has been rumored to not be appearing until October, it is interesting to note that their preparations should be complete by September 12th. From the notice to O2's retail stores:
The following is to advise that we are removing the old iPhone unitary between the 22nd August and the 12th September. This is a 3 week programme which will see all iPhone unitary swapped out for new iPhone unitary, and will of course prepare us for the launch of the new smart phone. At the same time we are installing an International Favourites bay to stores that can accommodate the unit, as well as replacing the existing magazine stand with a new freestanding stand.
O2 offers several different styles of displays for the iPhone based on store type, and retailers have been notified of the types of new displays they will be receiving in order to plan appropriately.

Article Link: O2 Swapping Out UK Retail Store iPhone Displays Through Mid-September

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
I doubt they'd commit to this without some notice from Apple; looks like we have our timeframe.

If it's a 3 week transition ending the 12th, could we be seeing an announcement late this month? They can't put up new decorations until the keynote's passed, so it would be odd if the keynote is right at the end of this designated period, towards the 12th, unless they intend to go without decoration for a week or two.

Edit:

While we don't believe that O2 has specific information on a release date for the iPhone 5, which has been rumored to not be appearing until October, it is interesting to note that their preparations should be complete by September 12th.

I know what Apple's like, but, surely they're going to need to tell networks/carriers pretty soon if they haven't already? They need to sort out staffing, advertising, contract prices, support services and other stuff; it can't be done overnight. Maybe the networks/carriers have been informed in the past week? I suspect this notice from O2 would've been initiated from such an information drop from Apple. That's not to say they know anything about the device itself, only that it's coming on a particular day.

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

this is starting to get rly annoying ^^

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

So maybe there will be an announcement on Sept. 7th or 8th and the rumor of a October release is wrong.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Woohoo! We get one day closer everyday!

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
PLEASE don't release iPhone keynote before 31st Aug Apple, I need to revise for an exam and no revision/work will happen otherwise!!

jwhite878

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
Why is Mac Rumors so set on an October release date? There is just as much, if not more evidence for a September date.

ChrisRoseMusic

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
United Kingdom
In the Orange shop...

Yesterday when I was whinging about my iP4's screen (getting it replaced today) and I asked them about the upcoming 5, 4 different employees flat denied any information regarding the pending release and said it would be highly unlikely to be announced without any pre training/information.

I don't know whether this is just a blag or not, but I've had the contract 6 weeks so there's no reason to lie to me.

I guess time will tell.:confused:

Telefonica's reportedly recalling their iPhone stock until September 12th:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/15/telefonica-iphone-stock-being-recalled-in-time-for-september-12t/

So this is two rumors pointing to a September 12th launch. Looks like we have our date.

Telefonica owns the O2 brand. O2 is the brand that Telefonica use in the UK, Ireland & Germany. Its the same company (or same ownership)

Just a guess but could it be that there will be an announcement before 12th September and the phone sometime after that? I just find it difficult to believe that Apple will tell the carries much before a public announcement. We all know how Apple like to keep things to themselves and telling lots of carries what they are going to do in advance does not seam like a great way of keeping things to themselves.

Alex

P.s. I do wish they would hurry up with iPhone 5 or iPhone 4s.I have stared to find myself back looking at Blackberrys again.

alexexexex

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2005
Yesterday when I was whinging about my iP4's screen (getting it replaced today) and I asked them about the upcoming 5, 4 different employees flat denied any information regarding the pending release and said it would be highly unlikely to be announced without any pre training/information.

I don't know whether this is just a blag or not, but I've had the contract 6 weeks so there's no reason to lie to me.

I guess time will tell.:confused:

"Oh you're on a new contract? then of course we'll let you know privileged confidential corporate information that isn't in the public domain despite everyone wanting to know."

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Doesn't make much sense for them to put up iPhone 5 displays if it's going to be announced a day later. Maybe they mean the launch day will be September 13th, and possibly the iPhone 5 will be unveiled the first week of September.

sephyleader2

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Honestly that's what I thought too, why would they reduce all their stock and phase the iPhone 4 out and change all the displays and everything for a phone that wouldn't come out until october? Would't this mean that it's coming out the 13th but announced at a more early date?

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
September 12th launch would be awesome...but what day does the iPhone usually launch in the UK? It's Friday in the the U.S. So that should put us at a U.S. Launch on September 9th or 16th.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Honestly that's what I thought too, why would they reduce all their stock and phase the iPhone 4 out and change all the displays and everything for a phone that wouldn't come out until october? Would't this mean that it's coming out the 13th but announced at a more early date?

Yes, I believe so. I believe this is how it will work: iOS 5 beta 6 will come out either on the 17th or 18th as predicted by 9to5mac, and then the Apple invites will go out for an event the first week of September, that's where they'll announce the iPhone 5 and the iOS 5 GM is available, with launch of both to occur September 13th.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
September 12th launch would be awesome...but what day does the iPhone usually launch in the UK? It's Friday in the the U.S. So that should put us at a U.S. Launch on September 9th or 16th.

I am sure, if they release it September 12, you can buy one on eBay for 20K or something ....

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Yes, I believe so. I believe this is how it will work: iOS 5 beta 6 will come out either on the 17th or 18th as predicted by 9to5mac, and then the Apple invites will go out for an event the first week of September, that's where they'll announce the iPhone 5 and the iOS 5 GM is available, with launch of both to occur September 13th.

Man I hope it's true. Doesn't iPhone usually launch on a Friday in the U.S. though?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.