Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:23 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Proposing a Massive Glass-Roofed Retail Store on the Third Street Promenade

At the Santa Monica Planning Commission tonight, Apple is believed to be proposing a dramatic new Apple Retail Store on the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, California. As first noted by Curbed, the proposal is from an unnamed retailer who is seeking to construct a new 8,084 square foot commercial building in the place of an existing three story Borders Bookstore.

The applicant is listed as "Howard Robinson" and the property owner as ASB/Blatteis Promenade Holdings, LLC, but one look at the renderings (above and below), and it's clear that this is an Apple Retail store project.

The proposal (PDF) is for a one-story, 34-foot high commercial building with an "expansive floor-to-ceiling height accentuated by a transparent glass ceiling." The front will be entirely glass that will project from stone paneled side walls. A 5,210 sq foot basement will also be included.

The applicant also intends to implement a transportation program for employees to travel to and from the store using alternative modes of transportation. Full-time employees will be offered $100 monthly transit subsidy and a $20/month bicycle reimbursement subsidy as well as bicycle parking in the basement level.

Apple has been making some major upgrades to their retail stores in the recent months. Their 5th Avenue Store in New York is undergoing a $6.6 million upgrade while a new Grand Central project has also been getting headlines. Apple already has an Apple Retail store on Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade.

Article Link: Apple Proposing a Massive Glass-Roofed Retail Store on the Third Street Promenade

Last edited by arn; Aug 17, 2011 at 04:44 AM.
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:26 AM   #2
talkingfuture
macrumors 65816

That looks fantastic. Although I guess it will take a lot of cooling on sunny days! Its good to see the latest generation of stores being braver architecturally.
talkingfuture is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:34 AM   #3
bchreng
macrumors 6502

Wouldn't all that light shining down make it a little difficult to see what's being displayed on the LCD panels of the various products?
bchreng is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:36 AM   #4
Ahheck01
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchreng View Post
Wouldn't all that light shining down make it a little difficult to see what's being displayed on the LCD panels of the various products?
If the ceiling glass is auto-dimming, color me impressed.
iPhone 5 ; 16GB ; White
Ahheck01 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:36 AM   #5
mdavis
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to mdavis
Quote:
Pretty much what I was thinking: glossy screens?
mdavis is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:36 AM   #6
mukade
macrumors member

Glass is always a good idea in an earthquake zone.
mukade is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:39 AM   #7
AfternoonDelete
macrumors member

Looks beautiful.
I've been to the Third St. Promenade many times and this new store would be spectacular -- a nice improvement on the existing Apple Store there, which is plenty nice anyway.
AfternoonDelete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:39 AM   #8
ArdBuijsen
macrumors newbie

So Apple rightfully doesn't install Flash because it is a energy hog but they have a building designed which doesn't function without a tremendous cooling system which is a much bigger energy hog. Stupid this design.
ArdBuijsen is offline   -16 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:39 AM   #9
reputationZed
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Polarized glass? They must have some solution for controlling the amount of sunlight entering the building.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:43 AM   #10
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Bloody oath that looks good..

But hey, its Apple. they can afford it..... can't they ?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:44 AM   #11
Lone Deranger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingfuture View Post
Its good to see the latest generation of stores being braver architecturally.
Very nicely put.
Perhaps Apple's trying to improve upon what could be considered their v1.0 stores which have found themselves targeted by the Redmond copy machines™.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:45 AM   #12
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdBuijsen View Post
So Apple rightfully doesn't install Flash because it is a energy hog but they have a building designed which doesn't function without a tremendous cooling system which is a much bigger energy hog. Stupid this design.
ok.. doesn't sound good when you put it like that though.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:48 AM   #13
Asclepio
macrumors 6502

With all those glossy screens! i hope is a night club store.
Asclepio is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:51 AM   #14
shawnce
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdBuijsen View Post
You do know that several types of glass coatings have the ability to reflect a large amount of the infrared spectrum of light which would reduce the heat load caused by such a ceiling. Additionally polarization and other coating can reduce the total amount of light making it into the building.

It will be interesting to see how Apple goes with this.
shawnce is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:57 AM   #15
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

I just imagine it getting dirty really fast.

And the light would be too much.

Bad idea.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:58 AM   #16
mrsmitty13
macrumors newbie

Something that would be cool to see on google earth LOL
mrsmitty13 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:58 AM   #17
Morod
macrumors 65816

Form follows function? Or... Maybe not?
It does look nice, either way.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:00 AM   #18
christian_k
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The applicant also intends to implement a transportation program for employees to travel to and from the store using alternative modes of transportation. Full-time employees will be offered $100 monthly transit subsidy and a $20/month bicycle reimbursement subsidy as well as bicycle parking in the basement level.
I like this very much. Sometimes I use the road bike to get to work, meaning 25.5 miles (42 km) in the morning and another 25.5 in the evening through hilly terrain. Obviously I cannot do this every day, but I encourage everyone to give it a try. Environmentally friendly transportation can be fun, really!

Christian

Last edited by christian_k; Aug 17, 2011 at 05:06 AM.
christian_k is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:01 AM   #19
RedTomato
macrumors 68040

Modern engineered glass is amazing stuff.

Apple seem to be becoming one of the world experts in glass, with the sheer variety of ways they use leading edge glasses - in iPod, iPad, iPhone etc, and in their various buildings, new HQ, glass staircases etc.

I feel certain the glass on the roof of this new store will be something highly engineered for passive climate control.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:02 AM   #20
ArdBuijsen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnce View Post
You do know that several types of glass coatings have the ability to reflect a large amount of the infrared spectrum of light which would reduce the heat load caused by such a ceiling. Additionally polarization and other coating can reduce the total amount of light making it into the building.

It will be interesting to see how Apple goes with this.
Yes I do know. But this amount of glass will with whatever coating and filling need a huge cooling system. Look at all the glass building from recent times. They all have sun shading of some sort to prevent overheating. Overheating even is a problem now in the Netherlands so it's no longer the heating system that uses the most energy but the cooling system.

Of course they can use all sorts of sustainable cooling systems. That I don't know. But this building will definitely need an additional cooling system.
ArdBuijsen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:04 AM   #21
CplBadboy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If it is does this mean that Apple will finally be cutting their premium for anti glare displays on the Apple line up or perhaps getting rid of glossy for good!!!! Woohoo!!!!!
CplBadboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:07 AM   #22
Dreamer2go
macrumors 6502

Well if Apple use triple glazed glass, then it might help. As I recall an architect class I took in university before, using triple glazed glass is quite environmental friendly.

More info here:

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/featur...ing-make-sense
http://www.tripleglazing.com/performance.html
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:07 AM   #23
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
so,

As pointed out to me on twitter, there is a NYC store that's similar, though looks a little smaller

http://www.apple.com/retail/upperwestside/
arn is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:19 AM   #24
chairguru22
macrumors 6502a

Looks really cool and unique...
chairguru22 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:26 AM   #25
tabasco70
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The applicant is listed as "Howard Robinson" and the property owner as ASB/Blatteis Promenade Holdings, LLC, but one look at the renderings (above and below), and it's clear that this is an Apple Retail store project.
Can't just be assuming Howard Robinson isn't the one behind all those fake Apple Stores in China... maybe he's looking to move operations to Cali
tabasco70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion