Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I wonder if this cable and kit could be used to break out a cable to be used with a port multiplier so I could hook an eSATA enclosure to it. I really want to use a mini as a media server in my home theater setup and need the local storage of a 4 disk eSATA enclosure.

Any idea where I might get just the cable?

Last edited:

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Damn you get a lot in that package!

And ... you are paying a lot!

It's out of stock now. You should have most of the parts of this kit if you repair electronics yourself. The connector/Proprietary SATA hard drive cable and Shock-absorbing mounting grommets might be the only thing you would need to buy.

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
I wonder if this cable and kit could be used to break out a cable to be used with a port multiplier so I could hook an eSATA enclosure to it. I really want to use a mini as a media server in my home theater setup and need the local storage of a 4 disk eSATA enclosure.

The thunderbolt enclosure from a few weeks back maybe a pricey but working solution to consider (specially if you get it without disks and populate it yourself at 3 TB a pop).

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5288d)

Man, I totally want to get a mini. But I want quad core and discrete graphics.

The kit is pretty sweet.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Man, I totally want to get a mini. But I want quad core and discrete graphics.

Yep, I guess we'll have to wait for Ivy Bridge CPUs, let's hope that by that time µSATA would have been approved (standard system SSD drive would be a must ^^)

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Be VERY careful with the sata ribbon cable that comes with this. I got it, and it ripped very easily, and you can NOT buy the cable alone, so I had to spend another $70 to get one, and a whole second kit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.