Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAppleONE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
this is for window only?
The firmware update works for macs too. I updated mine by burning it on a DVD and booting from it. The update takes like 1 min. There is a guide from the download link you can read if you want more detail. :)

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
The firmware update works for macs too. I updated mine by burning it on a DVD and booting from it. The update takes like 1 min. There is a guide from the download link you can read if you want more detail. :)

so do you have to re-install OS?

teddat

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2011
Intel recommends you backup first. it doesn't wipe the drive, just upgrades the firmware and leaves the data alone. I alway backup before any firmware upgrade.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have the Intel 320 80Gb drive in an Early 2008 MacBook Pro; doesn't recognise it. Sometimes, the firmware updater will only let me type @, regardless of what key I'm pressing!

len5

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have the Intel 320 80Gb drive in an Early 2008 MacBook Pro; doesn't recognise it. Sometimes, the firmware updater will only let me type @, regardless of what key I'm pressing!

I just tried installing the intel SSD 320 firmware update on my MBP 4.1 120GB SSD. No go. Said I didn't have an intel SSD. I'm wondering if this is caused by having Lion's FileVault full disk encryption enabled?

iAppleONE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
I just tried installing the intel SSD 320 firmware update on my MBP 4.1 120GB SSD. No go. Said I didn't have an intel SSD. I'm wondering if this is caused by having Lion's FileVault full disk encryption enabled?

The guideline recommends disabling the disk encryption prior to firmware update. Maybe that's the cause for no SSD recognition. Give it another shot with the disk encryption turned off. :)

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008

len5 said:

I don't have FileVault enabled on my machine :/

NeS.v

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
China:-(
Does anyone use an usb flash disk or a mobile hard disk to update the firmware?

My dvd drive has been replaced by the ssd drive.

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Does anyone use an usb flash disk or a mobile hard disk to update the firmware?

My dvd drive has been replaced by the ssd drive.

I use CD_R but I did make a USB Lion Key so I am sure this will work on the usb too! Make sure you use the Disk Utility to format and burn! Let us know if this work!

adrian1480

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
I see this update also applies to my X25-M. does it have the same problem or does it fix some other issues?

NeS.v

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
China:-(
I use CD_R but I did make a USB Lion Key so I am sure this will work on the usb too! Make sure you use the Disk Utility to format and burn! Let us know if this work!

Thanks! I know that, I can burn the .dmg file to a usb disk, but this is .iso file, I tried, but it seems doesn't work. I'm finding how to burn a iso file to the usb disk.

----------

I see this update also applies to my X25-M. does it have the same problem or does it fix some other issues?

you can check the release notes on the first website :)

drjaymez

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
Did not work for me on early 2008 MacBook

Didn't find an intel SSD attached to the system

I'm running an engineering sample 600GB drive.

I'll pull the drive and try the update on my desktop Windows box in the next few days and report back. Suspicous that it is an ACPI implementation issue affecting the ability to recognize the drive.

Tutorer

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
It's probably motherboard chipset related if the updater can access the drive or not; it might only work with Intel chipsets.

Did anyone have success with an early 2009 nvidia based MBP?

len5

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
California
The guideline recommends disabling the disk encryption prior to firmware update. Maybe that's the cause for no SSD recognition. Give it another shot with the disk encryption turned off. :)

Turned off FileVault. Still getting the same thing about the Firmware not detecting an intel ssd drive in my early 2008 MBP 4.1.

wavesport

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
Confirmed

I have the same trouble with the update. Iso boots fine, but does not recognize the drive in my 2008 24" iMac.

Just a thought, but in the release notes, it recommends changing the drive parameters in bios for the lenovo computers - as it suggests that it will not otherwise recognize the drive. Is this sort of an AHCI / IDE discrepancy, or something EFI related?

I would really hate to take the drive out of this machine for the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.