Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Santa Monica Dispatch's Peggy Clifford attended yesterday's Santa Monica Planning Commission meeting and reports that Apple's new Third Street Promenade building was quickly approved, without even discussion.
The surprise was that the staff put the project on the Consent Calendar. I cannot remember any large, complex commercial project ever going on the Consent Calendar. Apple was the only item on last night's Calendar. And, under the rules, the Consent Calendar is approved as a whole - unless someone wishes to pull at item for discussion.

And in that crucial blink, the commissioners approved the Consent Calendar (aka Apple Glass House), and that was that - except for a staff report on the redesign of the Project Case List, after which they adjourned.
The proposal first came to light yesterday, and detailed a new 8,084 glass-roofed Apple Store to be built on the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, California. The store will be built in the space of an old Borders Bookstore.

Article Link: Apple's Glass Roofed Retail Store Approved Without Even Discussion

netddos

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Wouldn't it be hot inside?? Think greenhouse effect... I mean they will obviously use ACs...but still I don't think that's a good design....coming from Apple I expect more...

What's more...on a sunny day...I wouldn't want to feel like I'm "shopping" for products OUTSIDE...feels very cheap...feels like buying something from an illegal street merchant..

FNi

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
It's somewhat disgusting the way planning comities / local governments pander to Apple.

Reminds me of the recent Cupertino city council meeting. The 'officials' were practically gushing over Steve Jobs and showing off their iPad's - it was cringeworthy.

At least pretend you're a professional...

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
It's somewhat disgusting the way planning comities / local governments pander to Apple.

Reminds me of the recent Cupertino city council meeting. The 'officials' were practically gushing over Steve Jobs and showing off their iPad's - it was cringeworthy.

It would probably be more surprising if they didn't gush over him given what Steve Jobs and Apple has done for Cupertino.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Of cause it was auto-approved.
Apple say jump and the world says how high.
The only ones who do not are the combatants of the patent wars.

FNi

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
It would probably be more surprising if they didn't gush over him given what Steve Jobs and Apple has done for Cupertino.
Oh, I totally agree that Apple basically put Cupertino 'on the map', but still, they're government officials with a job to do. At least try to have some self-respect.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
And after the decision all the board members walked out and collected their nice new shiny MBA's.

lol

Wouldn't it be hot inside?? Think greenhouse effect... I mean they will obviously use ACs...but still I don't think that's a good design....coming from Apple I expect more...

What's more...on a sunny day...I wouldn't want to feel like I'm "shopping" for products OUTSIDE...feels very cheap...feels like buying something from an illegal street merchant..

There are many things you can do to glass to help counter heat and an over abundance of sunlight, these things could easily be done to the roof without people noticing. Do you really think the Apple designers have no taken this into consideration and just plan on throwing plain old regular glass on the ceiling?

What would you have liked them to do exactly? The see a great looking structure being built by a reputable company who does a great job on their stores. A company who's stores bring in a lot of customers and revenue. This is an existing space being changed around for a new business. What should there concerns have been exactly where they needed to debate this?

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Is the title of this news story wrong or am I reading it incorrectly? "Without even discussion" is a strange phrase.

Last edited:

mrxak

macrumors 68000

Professional? They're local government. These are your neighbors with a little bit of power, not some 5-term US Senators.

Plus, look, the buildings Apple designs look amazing, and they will bring in lots of money to the local community. Why wouldn't you kiss Apple's ass?

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan

As much as I love Apple products, I wholeheartedly agree with you. What's the purpose of holding a public meeting at all, if the board members aren't going to at least publicly discuss pros and cons of the project?

kdarling

macrumors P6
I dont understand the point to this question. It would go to the same place as a regular roof.... On the roof and then it would flow off to the ground.

Look at the picture. The other roofs are flat and must have hidden drains. The water doesn't overflow down their sides.

So I think he's talking about how the Apple store's curved roof doesn't even appear to have gutters. Of course, that's almost certainly artistic license in that drawing. I highly suspect it does have hidden drains along the edges.

PS. Good thing it's not white painted glass. It'd be delayed for years while they work out the light leak and reflection issues :)

sparks05

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Colorado
I like it.

Just like with most things Apple does, Apple usually knows what's best for consumers before they even know what's best for themselves. Maybe the store experience will be terrific. Maybe the light through the glass will be welcoming. Maybe it is architectural genius (or at least neat)!

Last edited:

PhilipOrr

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2007
Northern Ireland
Does this mean that all new Macs will come with anti-reflection glass displays. Just think about all that sunlight and the reflections.

Can you actually read an iPad or iPhone in the sun.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
As much as I love Apple products, I wholeheartedly agree with you. What's the purpose of holding a public meeting at all, if the board members aren't going to at least publicly discuss pros and cons of the project?

City governments are required to approve things like this in open meetings.

It's also a simple matter of a new store going into the footprint of an older store - not much change as far as environment, traffic, ....

sotoz

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Greece
It reminds me of some Minecraft buildings I used to make with glass blocks :p

Cool design anyway!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.