Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Anyone know a decent password manager that will work on Mac, Windows, and sync with a Nokia s60 phone? If not Windows, which I can live without, then at least the Mac and the Nokia (e52 phone to be precise).

StructAural

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2007
The Netherlands
Useful thread, I was about to go for KeePassX (mainly as it's free), but then I found that OS X has a password generator - it's in the Keychain Access application (or anyplace where OS X asks for a password, such as Accounts) - just click on the key icon when making a new Password Item. So really Keychain Access is all you need.
The only problem seems to be - it thinks 'mKGCRHK4sAKN8vUwf385XgdCxu' is a weak password :)

Anthropogenesis

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Paraguay
I have 1Password and really like it. It was still tough to shell out that much money for a password manager. It is nice knowing that I have a crazy, unique password for everything full of symbols and stuff.

Also definitely nice having credit cards and stuff saved for easier online shopping, especially since I hate the idea of leaving those numbers saved on shopping sites.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
1password was one of the best apps I have bought for my Mac. It combined with the iphone app are fantastic. It is worth every single penny

StructAural

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2007
The Netherlands
I have 1Password and really like it. It was still tough to shell out that much money for a password manager. It is nice knowing that I have a crazy, unique password for everything full of symbols and stuff.

Also definitely nice having credit cards and stuff saved for easier online shopping, especially since I hate the idea of leaving those numbers saved on shopping sites.

Yeah, it's the price putting me off 1Password - I lost my job recently and I've got too used to iPhone prices lately :)

NightSailor

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Connecticut
Too expensive

Given the code is written to require updates with each Apple OS update, it hardly seems worth it. If they would provide unlimited updates, I'd buy it.

scrinmemphis

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Best Password Manager - 2011?

I plan to get my first Ipod Touch in a few weeks and would like to have a Password Manager on it so I can easily find passwords for websites and other apps.

I want to:

1) Open the Password manager on my Ipod Touch
2) Look up the username and password for a particular website or app
3) type that username and password into my desktop app.

I need something that will give me that information without having my Ipod Touch connected to the internet, and don't care about "autofill" features.

Would also love something that would auto-generate passwords for consideration.

I am a Windows PC user, so don't need something that is portable - just for use on the Ipod Touch 4.

Oh - and I'd need it to have a "master" password that I must enter to use the Password manager software each time.

Looking to pay $10.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

tbarry

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
Here's what I've found

My current interest is to port my ewallet password records into my new Mac and possibly to continue to use eWallet on my Windows machines. In the long term I’ll be looking for compatibility with Android, Pad and maybe iPhone/iPad.

So I’ve trawled through this forum and others, and come up with a list of available software. I’ve not considered Windows Mobile, Palm, and other OS’s but I threw in Linux for fun.

These are the nine packages I identified and the platforms they run on. See Table 1

Secretbox 2.2 claims Lion compatibility. None of the others do yet. Since Lion is less than a month away I’ll be waiting for it to release before testing and purchasing.

Ginz runs under Adobe AIR

Table 1 Password Manager Packages June 2011

You can assume that if multiple platforms are supported then you can transfer data between them. But not all of these packages will run a synchronization across all the platforms, and the complexities of 5 or more platforms are more than I was prepared to document. I suggest you work up your own matrix for your needs and check out the capabilities against that.

For the Mac I’ve checked out the protection system (probably the same on all platforms), whether there is a trial version, and what can be imported and exported. See Table 2.

Table 2 Password Manager Packages for Mac June 2011

A short history of encryption. First there was DES, but it was seen as inadequate, Blowfish was developed as an open source project by Bruce Schneier and identified as a major improvement. Then US Government held a competition for a new algorithm. Twofish was a development from Blowfish, and came in second to AES which was adopted. It seems that they are both essentially uncrackable, and speed advantages depend on which bit level is compared. I don’t see any particular advantages one over another, except that Blowfish based packages are likely to have older code than AES ones (maybe), and Keepass sounds like a kludge.

The import and export capabilities may not be complete, but the table shows what their web site lists.

Areas which I have not covered:

Password generator (most provide one, but it is of no interest to me)
Securing text files (some will allow files to be imported and protected)
Autocomplete: some do
Mac Keychain interfacing
Clipboard security (cleansing clipboard after a cut and paste)
Hierarchical passwords (master password and subsidiary passwords for Groups etc)
Web backup

That's all folks...............

Attachments

• Mac password manager software Table 1.pdf
    29.4 KB · Views: 376
  • Mac password manager software Table 2.pdf
    26.9 KB · Views: 523

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I like 1Password for a couple of reasons. It syncs via an encrypted file on dropbox between my Macs and iDevices...so I have the latest passwords for various sites.

Also, the encryption of the files are done locally and are NOT done remotely. This is to say that the people at 1Password don't have the keys to unlock your files. They can't turn anything over. Nothing there can be stolen and looked at. Yes, it stores a file via Dropbox if you wish and THAT file could be stolen, but it's encrypted and not even the people that make 1Password can unlock it. Everything is controlled locally by the user. This is important.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
I plan to get my first Ipod Touch in a few weeks and would like to have a Password Manager on it so I can easily find passwords for websites and other apps.

I want to:

1) Open the Password manager on my Ipod Touch
2) Look up the username and password for a particular website or app
3) type that username and password into my desktop app.

I need something that will give me that information without having my Ipod Touch connected to the internet, and don't care about "autofill" features.

Would also love something that would auto-generate passwords for consideration.

I am a Windows PC user, so don't need something that is portable - just for use on the Ipod Touch 4.

Oh - and I'd need it to have a "master" password that I must enter to use the Password manager software each time.

Looking to pay $10.

Ideas?

Thanks!

1Password.

Problem is 1Password is not working well with Lion presently. They are working on it I hear but with Safari 5.1 all I get when I need a password is a pull down window that is pure white with nothing on it. I hope they fix this soon or I will have to pick some other password program for Mac.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Problem is 1Password is not working well with Lion presently. They are working on it I hear but with Safari 5.1 all I get when I need a password is a pull down window that is pure white with nothing on it. I hope they fix this soon or I will have to pick some other password program for Mac.

Same, not liking the 1Password system in Lion. I hate that it doesn't lock itself every time the screen sleeps and that I can't right click to bring it up. It is killing me.

dancook99

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Keepass has it all and free

Keepass - windows
KeepassX - Mac OS X Lion
KyPass - iPad IPhone
Clients for many other mobile device
Plugins for popular browsers

One password database for all on Dropbox

tootall

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
I stored all my account information and passwords in an Excel file inconspicuously named which is also password protected. Is that a bad idea? easy to crack?

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
I break down my password/account storage to two types, (1) local (2) online.

For my local type, I use 1Password.

For my online type, I use LastPass.

iphonsteve4ajob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2011
I've used Ascendo Data Vault for years. Started on my Blackberry/PC now with my iPhone/MBA. Military grade encryption, easy to use, great customer support.

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I stored all my account information and passwords in an Excel file inconspicuously named which is also password protected. Is that a bad idea? easy to crack?

Excel’s protection is not very strong. Even those with medium knowledge would soon be able to open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.