Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dkotter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Okay I have created a WordPress theme that we want to sell on ThemeForest. I developed it all and one of our designers designed it. So it wasn't something that we just hacked together, it was something we spent quite a bit of time on.

The theme is designed for movie theaters, as a way to showcase the current movies and allow users to view the current movies and sort them by multiple criteria. You can view the theme at www.starmoose.com/themes/.

We submitted the theme to ThemeForest and it as rejected within hours, despite them telling me it would probably take a week. I wouldn't have minded so much, but they gave no feedback on what needed to be changed. So we went and redesigned most of the pages, as far as the look goes, and resubmitted. Again, the theme was rejected in just a few hours.

This time I actually got some feedback. They said the theme didn't meet their quality requirements and "While I like the general concept and direction this theme has taken, the template's design will need to be polished up significantly to be considered for approval. Right now, your use of white space, the layout of elements and general styling will need significant improvements. I'll be able to provide further feedback as to how to get this approved but only after the design itself has crossed a certain threshold with regards to design quality. I'm sorry to say it's not there yet."

So my first thought was the reviewer didn't even really look at the theme. The initial time we submitted, the blog page and other pages (besides the home page) weren't the best designed, but we fixed all of that. So I'm not sure if he even checked those pages out the second time, or saw it was the same theme and just rejected it.

But I don't know where to go from here so I'm look for some feedback on what everyone thinks as far as the design goes. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially if anyone has experience with getting approved at ThemeForest.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
That's a tough one. Only time I've dealt with Themeforest was when I purchased a couple of themes for WP. I could offer a few suggestions to make the theme look better, but I don't know if it would help since I am not sure of what TF's submissions guidelines really require. The thing I'd like to see on the page though is for each movie to be in a frame, with some kind of a caption which would list the movie's title, maybe some kind of a rating system, and some other detailed info like rating, duration and genre. Again, I'm no expert on this topic, so I am just offering a visitor's point of view.

P.S. I run Wappalyzer addon for Firefox and noticed that the site you linked didn't come up as using WordPress. Is there some way to hide such info either from Wappalyzer or from source code itself (as in removing wp-content etc. directories)?

dkotter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
P.S. I run Wappalyzer addon for Firefox and noticed that the site you linked didn't come up as using WordPress. Is there some way to hide such info either from Wappalyzer or from source code itself (as in removing wp-content etc. directories)?

I've never used Wappalyzer so not sure what it looks for but I've removed any reference to wp-* by using rewrites, so it rewrites everything to just css/ or js/ or images/ without the wp-content/themes/THEME-NAME/*. It's based off the Roots Theme.

And thanks for your suggestions. Right now I'm looking for design changes, as that is what they are rejecting the theme for. The reviewer made it sound like I might need to make other changes, but for now he wants to see design changes first, so I'm trying to get some ideas on what to do design wise.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Two things, not sure if it will help in the final review, but things i think would make that main page stand out

1) Change the color of the nav bar -- make it brighter to make it stand out. As it is, it blends in with the background too much. It shouldn't draw attention away from the main content so keep it subtle.

2) Add boxes around each of the move posters as was already suggested. Again, keep it as a minimal, but subtle change. This will break up the constant grey background behind the grid, and make it seem more organized.

dkotter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Two things, not sure if it will help in the final review, but things i think would make that main page stand out

1) Change the color of the nav bar -- make it brighter to make it stand out. As it is, it blends in with the background too much. It shouldn't draw attention away from the main content so keep it subtle.

2) Add boxes around each of the move posters as was already suggested. Again, keep it as a minimal, but subtle change. This will break up the constant grey background behind the grid, and make it seem more organized.

Thanks for the feedback. These are two things I was considering myself, so it's nice to get some validation on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.