Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Wouldn't it be hot inside?? Think greenhouse effect... I mean they will obviously use ACs...but still I don't think that's a good design....coming from Apple I expect more...

What's more...on a sunny day...I wouldn't want to feel like I'm "shopping" for products OUTSIDE...feels very cheap...feels like buying something from an illegal street merchant..

A sunny day in Santa Monica you want to do everything outside. That's the local culture, and that also happens to be the tourist image. This will be a major draw.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
"And it reaches 80 in OC all the time. It's not rare at all...."

the 80F he/she referenced is about santa monica temps... the crystal cathedral (which i have never set foot in, so i leave the bird poop witnessing to that crowd) is about clean glass for all those clean souls inside.

I have to point this out since you reprimanded someone without reading their post carefully before responding.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
You can't insulate glass (unless we have transparent insulation of which I'm not aware.

Is Al Gore still on Apple's board?

It is called air. double pain windows???? (not saying that is what they will do). There are also glazes that can be put on glass or it could be tinted slightly.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
My guess is Low E to Ultra Low E glass.

Wouldn't it be hot inside?? Think greenhouse effect... I mean they will obviously use ACs...but still I don't think that's a good design....coming from Apple I expect more...

What's more...on a sunny day...I wouldn't want to feel like I'm "shopping" for products OUTSIDE...feels very cheap...feels like buying something from an illegal street merchant..

So expect a 70% tint on the outside and a soft coat Low E glass on the top panels. I would think this would make an idea shopping experience.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Hopefully they use frosted glass, heavily frosted.

There is a structure around here with a glass roof .......... clear glass. It only takes a day for it to be full of water spots and two days for it to look disgusting (dust, dirt, etc).

And of course standing under it is no better than just standing in the sun. It was a real knucklehead who approved that.

Frosting it would camouflage everything greatly AND allow for more time in between pressure washings AND diffuse the light for better cooling indoors.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Put on the sunscreen kids, we're going to the Apple Store!

There must be automatic blinds for the noon heat. Where is the windshield wiper switch to wipe the bird poo from the roof? :)

The "stockroom" in the back looks tiny. I wonder if Apple reinforces the walls to prevent tunneling into the "vault".

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Not necessarily ...

There's such a thing as tinted glass, you know. The right type of glass could also work as an insulator, similar to stuffing an attic full of fiberglass insulation to keep heating and cooling costs down.

Can't speak for whether or not it will feel like "shopping for products outside" on sunny days? I suspect that will depend a lot on the rest of the design. With enough metal panes between pieces of glass, and large items like shelving units covering parts of outer walls, I doubt it would feel the same as an outdoor market -- but you'd almost have to go in and try it out in person to tell for sure.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
What should there concerns have been exactly where they needed to debate this?

Eric Schmidt:
This new Apple Retail Store creates an unfair competition toward Android and is another example of city officials and Apple ganging up in an anti-competitive manner to keep Android from succeeding. We plan to fight stores that limit users choice by not offering a full range of hardware from multiple vendors and appeal this decision to the US DOJ for resolution.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Eric Schmidt:
This new Apple Retail Store creates an unfair competition toward Android and is another example of city officials and Apple ganging up in an anti-competitive manner to keep Android from succeeding. We plan to fight stores that limit users choice by not offering a full range of hardware from multiple vendors and appeal this decision to the US DOJ for resolution.
Then he should allow others to try out his job. How dare he prevent others from holding that position. It limits the board's choices.

With comments like his I hate that he served on my Alma Mater's board of trustees.

Kentochan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Virginia, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How is this gonna work out during an earthquake?

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Where does the rain go?

I'll point out the obvious solution. The glass very clearly goes into the wall. If they leave a small gap above the glass, water will also flow into the wall and into the hidden gutter/drainage system. Pretty simple.

apple1t2.jpg

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
Why wouldn't they approve? It's a popular, well known business in a busy tourist area. It's going to draw in more people and the construction means more jobs.

EvanBlive91

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2009
How many birds are gonna fly into this thing? Not to mention **** all over it.

How many birds fly straight down, maybe if it was horizontal? But yea hopefully there will be a daily cleaning crew for all the bird **** it will get covered in lol.

JCanfield

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
For those of you worried about glass and earthquakes, have you never heard of laminated glass? It's been around for over a hundred years and is used in glass for buildings and car windshields. It also blocks UV transmission.

Baldanzi

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Guys, there is nothing really technologically earth-shattering about this building.

Rain water? They are called roof-drains. Done all of the time... There will be a gutter system on either side at the low point of the curved roof. It is not a good design (gutters like this can leak to the building interior), but it is done all the time

Too Hot? Well, it will be an issue - but the new ultra clear glass coming from the two major maufacturers (PPG and Pilkington) is pretty high tech. All of them block UV radiation so stop with the stupic sunscreen jokes. Heck, plain old clear glass blocks almost all UV radiation . No matter how you slice it, this building WILL have a higher heat load/cooling loss with glass that transmits 75% of visible light (I happen to have a PPG glass sample on my desk right now). The bigger issue is that most of the panels are single pane glass (not insulated)...

Sesmic is a bit of an issue - but it will have to meet the code, so it will be doable

The roof getting dirty is a bit of an issue. It does not rain for months at a time in that area. They will be cleaning it often, just to remove the dust and bird droppings. Some building like this actually have a claning system built in - so not one have to go up on the roof for the regular cleanings.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
It's somewhat disgusting the way planning comities / local governments pander to Apple.

Reminds me of the recent Cupertino city council meeting. The 'officials' were practically gushing over Steve Jobs and showing off their iPad's - it was cringeworthy.

At least pretend you're a professional...

Some people have no pride.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Hmm... I'm not an engineer, but it seems to me that while you can do things to make glass more efficient than just plain glass, it's still not going to be as energy efficient as solid building material. You can't insulate glass (unless we have transparent insulation of which I'm not aware.

Is Al Gore still on Apple's board?

And there is your answer...

It is called air. double pain windows???? (not saying that is what they will do). There are also glazes that can be put on glass or it could be tinted slightly.

Also remember that this is Apple... A large air conditioning bill is not going to bother them in a store that will make as much money as this one will.

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
Where does the rain go?

The same place it goes on any building roof: drainage.

This thread exhibits the worst characteristics of the internet. People who think they're experts on every topic under the sun, who refuse to listen to folks who actually do have some expertise, who make wild accusation without offering a shred of proof or see conspiracy theories behind every innocuous action, who are suspicious, paranoid and just plain annoying.

This Santa Monica store already exists: it's called the Upper West Side Apple Store in NYC. All the ludicrous criticisms of the design in this thread have already been addressed and answered in a store that's been open for almost two years.

During that time period, no one has burst into flames from the intense sunlight in the UWS store. Rain doesn't collect on the glass roof but goes into drainage. It is not a greenhouse hot inside but cool and comfortable during the summer, warm and toasty during the winter. The glass is regularly cleaned by maintenance.

Only in a geek fan site would people carp about a store design that employs an abundance of natural light. Talk about playing up to stereotypes.

Attachments

• 23applestore_upperwest_CNET_1_540x359.jpg
    23applestore_upperwest_CNET_1_540x359.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 97

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
As much as I love Apple products, I wholeheartedly agree with you. What's the purpose of holding a public meeting at all, if the board members aren't going to at least publicly discuss pros and cons of the project?

Not sure of the Santa Monica structure, but usually anyone (in the city) can object to a plan such as this and initiate discussion. The city council doesn't usually have the final say in what gets talked about in such meetings; if someone objected to the proposal they could have spoken up and had a discussion.

IMHO, the discussion would have been short: Apple generates $x/sq ft in its current space, and $y/sq ft in average (leaps and bounds above the $/sq ft of any other potential retailer who might take that same space). Apple flagship stores generate z% more revenue than the hole-in-the-wall mall stores. Hell yes, allow them to use this space to give us more tax revenues, and as a bonus elevate tourism some small amount! All of that would have been spelled out quite clearly in the proposal for development, which the council members would have seen up front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.