Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Apple was granted a preliminary injunction (since partially suspended) preventing Samsung from selling its Galaxy Tab 10.1 in all countries of the European Union except the Netherlands following a complaint of intellectual property infringement. The Netherlands was specifically excluded from the case because Apple had a separate lawsuit underway in that country.

iphone_galaxy_comparison.jpg

Computerworld now reports on the content of that Dutch lawsuit, which reportedly seeks a ban on the sale of all Galaxy smartphones and tablets by Samsung throughout the European Union.
Apple's complaint, seen by Webwereld, a Dutch IDG publication, seeks an injunction for the entire Galaxy series. This includes smartphones -- the Galaxy Ace, Galaxy S and Galaxy SII -- and tablets: the Galaxy Tab 7 and Galaxy Tab 10.1. Other Galaxy devices, like the Gio, Nexus, 551, Europa, Apollo and Mini are also involved, albeit only in a footnote in which Apple states, "It is expected that these devices are also covered by one or more of the patent rights invoked."

Apple demands an extensive ban on these devices, covering manufacturing, stocking, importing, distributing, trading or selling by Samsung Korea and its Dutch subsidiaries, which include Samsung Logistics BV and Samsung Overseas BV.
Apple has demanded that Samsung request recalls of all stock within 14 days and provide compensation to vendors in its distribution channels while also putting the vendors on notice that refusal to return stocks would put them in violation of Apple's intellectual property rights.

The court in The Hague is scheduled to rule on the case on September 15th, with any potential injunctions not to take effect before October 13th.

Article Link: Apple Seeking Complete Ban on Samsung Galaxy Tablets and Phones in EU

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
oh god!

not again...

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news...es-inaccurate-evidence-in-dutch-samsung-case/

http://translate.google.com/transla...2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://webwereld.nl/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/did-apple-shrink-the-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-in-dutch-lawsuit-filing/

from Engadget,
We haven't had a chance to head on down to The Hague to have a look-see for ourselves, but Dutch tech site Webwereld spotted some more inconsistencies in Apple's Samsung lawsuit filings. This time the culprit is a shrunken Galaxy S II, standing side-by-side with an identically tall iPhone 3G -- when in reality the Samsung phone is seven millimeters taller than its Apple counterpart, and slightly wider as well. The image, filed in the Netherlands, is part of an intellectual property suit against Samsung, and came to light just days after accusations that Apple manipulated photos of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 that it submitted to a German court. While misleading, this latest error isn't nearly as concerning as last week's shrunken Tab -- which could easily be described as image manipulation, considering that the tablet included in that filing represented an incorrect 4:3 aspect ratio, while the Samsung device has a 16:10 display.

Attachments

• 2011-08-19-samsungapple.jpg
    2011-08-19-samsungapple.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 436

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Maybe instead of being so sue happy they should concentrate on having adequate supplies of the iPhone 5 before it goes on sale so you don't have to wait for 4 months for them to be readily available. Ditto for the next iPad. Of course they could do it, but they'd rather get the free hype. Steve loves playing with your mind.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

StealthGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Yep, they're lying about the phone(s) now too, using doctored photos and the apps tray or whatever making it look like it's the home screen.

This is just disgusting

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
They're just aiming a bit too high, so the judge still makes Samsung pay a nastier price when the accuse is lowered. IMHO.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

this is getting redic, the nexus and s 2 look NOTHING like the iPhone. they might as well just ban every smartphone on the market.

also ehy doesnt samsung fire back? they could make em look so ba in the press but i guess apple is doing it just fine on its own lol. i want an iPad but im tempted to by a samsung just out of principel

Ijustfarted

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
oh snap! they manipulated the images of the galaxy s phone TOO to make it more like the iphone?!

this is getting out of control,I'm disappointed that :apple: would stoop that low :(

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
On a serious note, I hope Apple and Samsung come to an agreement soon. It's taking attention away from the iPhone 5 :(

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
More cherry picking screenshots by Apple. Ignoring the fact they're manipulating the size of the images, the screenshot on the far right doesn't look a damn thing like iOS.

Is Apple cherry picking images as well? They cherry picked the app drawer and compared it to the homescreen of the iPhone.

And really? "Ignoring the fact they're manipulating"...that a pretty big thing to ignore.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
lol

On a serious note, Apple's new notification system is just like Android... I don't understand how come some patents are okay to use, others are not... It's BS. Just open up the patent market already!

Yeah but they didnt patent it? lol

Apple is Just covering it's ass, they have learnt from their mistake, with Microsoft stealing their GUI. And they dont want to fall into that again.

Not to mention Android Phones are only what they are today because of the iPhone.
http://gizmodo.com/334909/google-android-prototype-in-the-wild <--what android was suppose to be

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Is Apple cherry picking images as well? They cherry picked the app drawer and compared it to the homescreen of the iPhone.

Indeed they are. The home screen on the Galaxy doesn't look a thing like iOS

And really? "Ignoring the fact they're manipulating"...that a pretty big thing to ignore.
I agree. I think the case should be thrown out for falsifying evidence. I'm just saying that even ignoring that fact, the fact that they are cherry picking screenshots to make it look like the Galaxy is an iPhone ripoff should be enough to get the case thrown out of court.

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

this is getting redic, the nexus and s 2 look NOTHING like the iPhone. they might as well just ban every smartphone on the market.

also ehy doesnt samsung fire back? they could make em look so ba in the press but i guess apple is doing it just fine on its own lol. i want an iPad but im tempted to by a samsung just out of principel

Exactly I seriously the Nexus S?

Nexus-S-Vs-iPhone-4.jpg

^^ Really?

And Seriously Google those other phones, if you confuse them with an iPhone that's just sad.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
More cherry picking screenshots by Apple. Ignoring the fact they're manipulating the size of the images, the screenshot on the far right doesn't look a damn thing like iOS.

The first time it could of been written off as a lawyer being sloppy and missing it. 2nd time in a row tells us that Apple is doing it on purpose. It can destroy an entire case because most courts look very harshly on one trying to lie in court.

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Indeed they are. The home screen on the Galaxy doesn't look a thing like iOS

I agree. I think the case should be thrown out for falsifying evidence. I'm just saying that even ignoring that fact, the fact that they are cherry picking screenshots to make it look like the Galaxy is an iPhone ripoff should be enough to get the case thrown out of court.

How do you know these are even the images being used in the case? I'm sure there is more to this than what is being presented here. I swear, people believe anything a blog tells them...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.