Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blondepianist

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
USA
Who in thier right mind buys anything from a store called "Apple Story" and honestly believes they bought the real deal?

I knew someone who bought a SciPhone because they couldn't afford the real thing, but thought it might be close. Maybe they're preying on the poor.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
I could understand if it were fake apple devices being sold, but just accessories doesn't seem like a big deal. Why is apple wasting it's time doing pointless stuff like this?

You really don't know Apple culture or Steve if your asking. :confused: Must be a linux user.

----------

The tittle translated to "China cottage official Apple Store can not afford to shop polished eyes hurt ah" nice.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
First, an Apple Stoer in China, and now this.

It just crossed my mind that the Apple Store doesn't have the words "Apple Store" on its storefront. Usually just a big glowing apple logo.

Or, are there Apple Stores that actually have the words written on/in their stores? I just can't recall off the top of my head.

(I was just trying to figure out what Apple would have used as their font.)

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
I've seen quite a few stores in Hong Kong selling these fake Apple accessories. They are a lot cheaper, in both price and quality. For example, $30HKD (~$4USD) for 2 fake Apple iPod cables vs $20USD each for the real one; $8USD for the fake Apple in-ear headphones vs $80USD for the real ones. They may be even cheaper in China, where you can bargain for an even better deal.

I've tried the fake iPod dock cables. The connectors' measurements were a little bit off, so after connecting it to my iPad and the AC adaptor there are tiny gaps on both ends. They're functional, but definitely don't look as good as the real ones, which fits perfectly without those unsightly gaps.

At 1/10th of the price, I believe many people would opt for the counterfeits when the stock ones break. Sure the counterfeits might break sooner than the real ones, but the time it takes to break 10, you might've broken more than one of the real ones already. So in a way the fake ones are more "durable" at the same price, provided they don't catch on fire or something...

If people didn't know any better and thought these are real, it would hurt Apple's image as an established brand which sells quality products at a premium. Also, what happens if people use these accessories and damage their Apple products, or worse, injures the users? Apple has to stop these counterfeiters.

GlenL

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
First, an Apple Stoer in China, and now this.

It just crossed my mind that the Apple Store doesn't have the words "Apple Store" on its storefront. Usually just a big glowing apple logo.

Or, are there Apple Stores that actually have the words written on/in their stores? I just can't recall off the top of my head.

(I was just trying to figure out what Apple would have used as their font.)

Real stores just have the fruit.

Sonny1

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
New York, NY
After reading the Top Ten posts...

... I couldn't read any more. I'd hate to be plagued by the Top Worst posts.
Can't some of you posters take the time to think before you write?
Or, if you did think, please put both thumbs in your mouth and bite down hard.

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
Protecting your brand is important regardless of product value.

In fact, if you don't protect your brand, it will pass into the public domain. That's whey Kleenex and Xerox, for example, slammed any and all who tried to make those terms generic. So it's tissues and copiers in ads for those types of products.

Same deal for Apple: when they see use of their logos, trademarks, copyrighted images, etc., they MUST respond. In this particular case, even if the products were high quality 100% copies so the customer didn't get substandard products (unlike, say fake Chanel bags sold by street vendors or on eBay), the customer still didn't get what they thought they were paying for, so it's fraud.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
This article made my day. At least the picture did. It's so pretentious you'd think that picture was nothing but a photoshop or something. Love how all the display cases are made to look like Apple products along with the title Apple Story. I guess it wasn't enough to just use the name (which I think would've been totally fine, especially if it makes sense). However, whether this is something someone can sue for or not, it is pretty blatant on trying to *ride on their products*. Has Apple gotten that big for people to do so? Guess so.

Heck they could've called themselves anything, and decided to sell products for use on Apple devices, and got away scott free. Kind of like how other department stores sell non-Apple brand products for Apple devices.

I know in the past, Microsoft did the same to a lot of things trying to use their name and image to sell their products. Some were quite funny, while others I have to say were kind of clever if not understandable since the name difference had to do with the actual name of the creator.

Though I guess the way Apple Story tried to counterfit the products sold may have been the real kicker, in this case.

I'm still waiting for these classic IPs to open up. Then we'll be dealing with real name stealing.
"JC Pony"
"Rizen"
"Mindcraft" -- Use the power of your mind to build your destiny.
"Terroria" -- Build your kingdom and fight off the Terrors that plague it.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re to the fake aapl products and stores

' shame, shame, shame..." - gomer pyle - 1965

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
Apple didn't get a warrant to seize the merchandise - law enforcement got a warrant to seize the merchandise.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
No offense... anyone wanna tell me how they're counterfeit?
They're just cases... (from what I see)
Unless they have "apple logos"

Read the story next time before posting a knee-jerk response.

From the story:

"All of the purchased goods carried an Apple trademark, according to the amended complaint. They were also marked with the phrase "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China,"

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Apple didn't get a warrant to seize the merchandise - law enforcement got a warrant to seize the merchandise.

Yeah I noticed that unnecesary journalistic spin. They make it seem like Apple police charged into the store, breaking glass countertops. In reality it was a Police sting operation. Apple merely brought it to their attention.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Same thing happened with that iPhone 4 leak with Gizmondo. The news story always seems to spin as if the company had direct relations with how a sting is performed. It makes a cooler headline, even if it is not accurate.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I could understand if it were fake apple devices being sold, but just accessories doesn't seem like a big deal. Why is apple wasting it's time doing pointless stuff like this?

By your logic, I can forge your name as long as I use it it get a credit card instead of a mortgage.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Did you know that Aspirin was once a trademark owned by Bayer for acetylsalicylic acid? They lost the trademark in court because they didn't stop other companies from using the term. Now everybody who wants to sell acetylsalicylic acid can call it Aspirin.

Did you know that Coke routinely enforces its trademark by sending people to restaurants and ordering Coke? If they are served Pepsi, RC, or something besides Coke, they receive a "friendly" cease and desist letter from Coke's legal department.

Businesses have to protect their trademarks.

It is like Kimberly Clark, losing the name Kleenex. It is now a generic word for tissues...

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
That has to be balanced against the public's perception of your company. You may be totally in the right in the eyes of the law, but when average Joe perceive you as a big, cold, mean giant out to make life hell for the little guys, you lose the intangible: likability.

One incident like this should not change things much, but add to Apple's seemingly petty lawsuits against other phone makers, negative publicity starts to add up.

I personally don't like thieves, fakes, or their apologists.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
Yeah I noticed that unnecesary journalistic spin. They make it seem like Apple police charged into the store, breaking glass countertops. In reality it was a Police sting operation. Apple merely brought it to their attention.

Are Apple police the same people that abducted Kyle and turned him into HumancentiPad?

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
It is like Kimberly Clark, losing the name Kleenex. It is now a generic word for tissues...

They haven't lost that trademark. When is the last time you say Puff's Kleenexes? Or Great Value Kleenexes at walmart? You don't, because KC rode the hell out of anyone who tried to make that name generic. Just because people call them kleenexes is irrelevant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.