Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Lately my lower most back tooth has been killing me. So much so I can't tolerate the pain.

I noticed this began when I was drinking tea in the mornings. I find this odd considering I was living in China for the better half of 2011 and was drinking tea on an almost daily basis without any tooth pain.

I can chalk it up and think that it perhaps could be the specific type of tea I've lately been drinking, considering I just purchased a new brand from a local Japanese supermarket.

I went to the dentist and the dentist showed no signs of any cavities of problems, which is quite odd.

My life is so random sometimes! (Cries)

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
If you don't drink tea in the morning for a while, does the pain go away? Are the two things definitely linked?

Have you tried using a toothpaste for sensitive teeth? Perhaps that may help.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Possibly a result of sensitive teeth. Try a different toothpaste (one made for sensitive teeth, it could help

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I would think it has more to do with the heat than the tea itself. If you drink hot chocolate does it hurt?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
could be something in else in your mouth causing that tooth to be sensitive. I know when I get canker sores my one of my back teeth hurt like hell. Top it off my teeth are very sensitive and I have very thin enamel.

Some drinks cause them to hurt like hell.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
As others have mentioned, it may be a temperature thing – I have sensitive teeth myself, and hot and cold stuff (drinks more often than not) does make them sore from time to time.

Did your dentist not offer up any thoughts on what the problem might be?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
are you by chance drinking tea with sugar ? as the sugar can cause pain if there is the slightest form of decay or if the gum is exposing the teeth on the bottom , i doubt tea alone can cause pain , only if hot or cold and the above mentioned things come together , so my advice ..see a dentist before its to late ;)

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to let you know that if you can get your hands on some clove oil, it is the best for soothing the pain instantly. You just put it on a qtip or swab and dab or squeeze it on. Miracle worker. I hope this helps. I know how much toothaches hurt.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to let you know that if you can get your hands on some clove oil, it is the best for soothing the pain instantly. You just put it on a qtip or swab and dab or squeeze it on. Miracle worker. I hope this helps. I know how much toothaches hurt.

I've heard about the clove oil before, though've never actively pursued it.

The pain is beginning to subside and this is without my taking ibuprofen.

I have a dentist appt. on the 29th, though feel thats too far out from now. The reason is on the 29th is cause this dentist is super busy. I'm planning on calling his office tomorrow and tell him I'm leaving the state for a it and need to be seen immediately. After all, he said all he would do is check up on the tooth and thats all.

I've since drank one cup of tea two nights ago and it began hurting. Aside from tea, I don't really ever drink hot drinks.

As for sugar, since coming back from China I never put sugar in my tea; something the locals out there frowned upon. That and I'm trying to be more healthy. :p

ttttaylor

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2009
i have very sensitive teeth. mine ALWAYS hurt when i eat chocolate. mostly the back-bottom-right one. and it doesn't happen with any other sweets, just chocolate. not sure if this is the same thing as OP since it's not a temperature thing, but it is weird how teeth can sometimes hurt with just specific things.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
What kind of pain is it? Is it within the tooth itself, along the gums near the tooth, or does it shoot through your entire jawline?

Does the pain occur more often after you've had less sleep, restless sleep, or when you are under stress?

Have you tried having room temperature tea yet? I realize it's not as appetizing that way, but do it for the sake of diagnosis.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
are you by chance drinking tea with sugar ? as the sugar can cause pain if there is the slightest form of decay or if the gum is exposing the teeth on the bottom , i doubt tea alone can cause pain , only if hot or cold and the above mentioned things come together , so my advice ..see a dentist before its to late ;)

Don't all sweet drinks (tea, coffee, coke and other fizzy drinks, fruit cordials) all contain sugar?
The only drink I have that contains no sugar is Volvic.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As others have mentioned, it may be a temperature thing – I have sensitive teeth myself, and hot and cold stuff (drinks more often than not) does make them sore from time to time.

Did your dentist not offer up any thoughts on what the problem might be?

I have sensitive teeth and gums & so I have had that problem, too; cold stuff (ice-cream, in particular) causes an extremely sharp pain, so, with reluctance, I avoid it.

This is true, and is one of the reasons I tend to avoid sweet things.

Speaking from experience, I can say that clove oil works a treat. I never travel anywhere without a small bottle of the stuff; it doesn't heal it, just eases (removes/kills) the pain. Chewing on an actual clove is said to have the same pain-numbing effect.

i have very sensitive teeth. mine ALWAYS hurt when i eat chocolate. mostly the back-bottom-right one. and it doesn't happen with any other sweets, just chocolate. not sure if this is the same thing as OP since it's not a temperature thing, but it is weird how teeth can sometimes hurt with just specific things.

Yes. Chocolate can be a culprit, too, even the dark chocolate (the only chocolate I actually like), the 70% plus stuff. My teeth (especially when I had cavities) really used to hurt after even a very small square of chocolate; in that particular case, a visit to the dentist and some dental fillings were the required solution.........

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
Don't all sweet drinks (tea, coffee, coke and other fizzy drinks, fruit cordials) all contain sugar?
The only drink I have that contains no sugar is Volvic.

yes but the amount is important too i suppose , some people like to drink their sugar with liquids instead of their liquids wwith sugar if you know what i mean ;)

lahopa

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
sweet tea tooth pain

Is it possible that this is a result of some kind of sinus allergy? I too get a certain kind of pain in teeth when I drink sweet tea. I never did when I was younger, but notice it most times now as an adult. I rarely have tea at home so it is usually a restaurant brew. Sometimes beer or wine can cause the same effect, (even in small amounts).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.