Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zero-beat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Hello :D Another day, another issue!

I am working, like many, to move my dvds to my mac and watch them on Apple TV, but now it seems there is a short limit to the description in the TV Show area! :(

I use theTVDB for the descriptions for my shows, but now, i can't just copy paste them, because they are too long. When did this happen?

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
It's been limited for as long as I can remember. Check out programs like Identify, iFlicks, Meta X, and Subler. These programs can allow you to manually type in metadata that the Get Info window in iTunes won't allow. They also will pull data from online databases and tag the file for you, at which time you can import the file into iTunes and the metadata will appear.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
It's been limited for as long as I can remember. Check out programs like Identify, iFlicks, Meta X, and Subler. These programs can allow you to manually type in metadata that the Get Info window in iTunes won't allow. They also will pull data from online databases and tag the file for you, at which time you can import the file into iTunes and the metadata will appear.

I agree with all the above but stay away from MetaX if you are on a Mac. The free apps above are much better.

Side note:
My iPad can show really long descriptions on TV shows, not sure when that happened.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
The description field got limited with the latest version

but to clarify, the amount it holds has been limited for a while, but you could paste what you wanted into it and it would just ignore the end of the text if it was too large, now you cannot paste text into the box if its too large

not sure why people say ignore MetaX, I use this and it works fine no problems at all, if you are seeing issues with this and it corrupts files, make sure you enable the support for large files

rlu929s

macrumors regular
May 17, 2011
Is there something similar for Windows? That's where most of my ripping is taking place and my ITunes Library is stored.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The description field got limited with the latest version

but to clarify, the amount it holds has been limited for a while, but you could paste what you wanted into it and it would just ignore the end of the text if it was too large, now you cannot paste text into the box if its too large

not sure why people say ignore MetaX, I use this and it works fine no problems at all, if you are seeing issues with this and it corrupts files, make sure you enable the support for large files

I think most advise against using MetaX on the Mac side because when compared to the other mentioned programs, MetaX seems to have quite a bit more documented problems and the developer stopped supporting the Mac version years ago. I used to use MetaX for Mac as well and while I never had problems, I found iDentify2 to be a far more efficient and user friendly tool for tagging, especially for TV shows. I also couldn't add cNID tags using MetaX but can using iDentify2 or Subler. Also, if you tagged something with MetaX and later realized you forgot something, you couldn't use MetaX again or the file would be corrupted. Subler and iDentify2 allow you to retag info.

----------

Is there something similar for Windows? That's where most of my ripping is taking place and my ITunes Library is stored.

They have a Meta X for Windows. I used it before I switched, and I never had any issues with corrupt files, etc.
http://www.danhinsley.com/metax/metax.html

Never used the Windows version but from what I've read, I believe the Windows version is still actively supported by the developer and had far fewer problems than the Mac version.

iGobbleoff

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2011
I found the same lately. My workaround was to not place the description in the info dialog, just pasting what I wanted in the list view directly, then let it sort out how long it should be. Click once in the description field, and you'll see the cursor appear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.