Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we approach the anticipated launch of the iPhone 5, we are seeing an increasing number of small leaks related to the production of the device in China. As the design is finalized, and production begins to ramp up, it's common to see early parts leak into the supply chain.

We were tipped that iPhone parts supplier TVC Mall has posted a few new claimed iPhone 5 parts this evening, including the Battery, Back Camera Lens, and Headphone/Earphone Audio Jack Flex Cable. The new parts are definitely different from the existing iPhone 4 parts, though the superficial changes seem unrevealing. We've shown them side-by-side in comparison, using images of iPhone 4 parts courtesy of iFixit.

The claimed iPhone 5 battery is of roughly the same shape of the existing iPhone 4 battery. The labeled specifications on the iPhone 5 part shows 3.7V and 5.3Whr while the iPhone 4 part shows 3.7V and 5.25Whr, showing roughly the same power.

The new part also has a plausible part number of 616-0580 as compared to the iPhone 4's 616-0513 and 616-0521 part numbers. The connector on the new battery is rotated in comparison to the iPhone 4 part.

The back camera module shown here seems to reveal a closely embedded camera flash much like the iPhone 4's design. There had been some early rumors that the iPhone 5's camera may be separated from the camera module, or that the iPhone 5 may even get dual LED flash.

As with all these early iPhone 5 parts, the supplier website has scant details on the specifications. In fact, we doubt that they even know the specifications at this stage. Some dimensions do seem to be given for the parts, but when compared the dimensions for known parts (such as the iPhone 4 battery) on the same site, there seemed to be a wide discrepancy against other published specs we'd found on the internet. So, we can't put much faith in the listed dimensions.

The final new part listed on the site is the Audio Jack Flex cable. There isn't much we can say about it, though it does look very different from the existing GSM and CDMA parts. We asked iFixit's Kyle Wiens and just based on the images shown, Wiens said that the part numbers were reasonable, and the markings consistent with the currently shipping cable.

The iPhone 5 is widely expected to launch in September or October.

Article Link: iPhone 5's Battery, Back Camera, and Audio Flex Cable Parts Leaked

Last edited by a moderator:

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Is it just me or does the iPhone5's battery have a totally different shape :confused:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Attachments

• IPHONE5-903-1.jpg
    IPHONE5-903-1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2,710
Last edited:

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Given the amount of leaks and rumors we have currently, I don't think we'll be seeing iPhone 5 in early September.. October release feels too late somehow. They'll release it in October for US and couple of tier1 countries and it'll take until early 2012 for iPhone 5 to get in Turkey with its super overinflated price.. *sigh*

DVD Plaza

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
adelaide.sa.au
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/cameras-500x295.jpg]Image

[/url]
The back camera module shown here seems to reveal a closely embedded camera flash much like the iPhone 4's design. There had been some early rumors that the iPhone 5's camera may be separated from the camera module, or that the iPhone 5 may even get dual LED flash.
What you talk'in 'bout - that iPhone 5 camera has two LEDs, one attached to lens and one on the cable (that yellow square is a LED)

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
What you talk'in 'bout - that iPhone 5 camera has two LEDs, one attached to lens and one on the cable (that yellow square is a LED)

What YOU talkin' about? That yellow bit folds up inside the flash section. Compare it to the iPhone 4 shape.

Lithiumdiver

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Washington
Well, call me impatient, but its just been to long! lol
I feel like the news feed on the iPhone 5 has just run so slowly this time around. That may or may not have something to do with there being no test model found in a bar, but thats irrelivant i suppose.
I think apple is likely to announce the 5 in september with an early October launch. It puts there launch closer to the holidays and we all know how benificial that can be. The thing that gets me is that SO many people have bought iPhone 4's recently that its going to have to be a REALLY amazing phone to get people to buy it when the likelyhood is that most people do not have their upgrade just yet. That, or maybe they will put an early upgrade program into place.
I really feel dissapointed in apple as of late. Im really hoping this new iPhone brings them back. I havent owned an iphone since the release of the 3G.
On the design, (looking at trends and the leaked info) i believe we will all be suprised by what we will see. Im hopeful that the screen will be larger, and while its very likely, im doubtful that it will be that big of a difference form the 4. As far as how thin it is, i can see the 5 being close to the iPod touch's overall feel. I just hope that a "thinner lighter" iPhone doesnt mean a "feels cheap and im afraid im going to break it" iPhone. Only time will tell, i suppose, but with little to no solid info on when we can start lining up our funds for a fresh piece of grade A mobile technology, im feeling my excitment thats been building since may, dwindling just a tad.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
they seem more pieces from an hypothetical iphone 4s, more than an all-new iphone 5.
will apple come out with two models? the all new iphone 5 and the "low cost" internally redesigned iphone 4?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Same sized battery doesn't bode well for a larger screen. Get ready for an iPhone 4s kiddies.

Fugue

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2011
Was hoping for an improved battery. Apple should stop investing in screens and start investing in batteries.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hmmm, well the camera module does appear to match what you can see of the Exmoor R from the Xperia Ray.
But the Ray is 9.4mm thick. The iPhone 4 is 9.3mm. So if it proves to be true that Apple do use the same sensor then it may be that the iPhone 4S or 5 don't get much thinner.

The Omnivision Technologies new 8 MP camera was stated as not being put into full production until next year, this company by the way makes the iPhone 4's camera module:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/08/04/omnivision.ov8850.caters.to.thin.phones.tablets/

And that sensor is stated as being designed for ultra thin phones and gives full 1080P video etc. It was only introduced a few weeks ago so I guess it won't be in the next iPhone?

But knowing Apple they may get special access? Bit of a tricky one to call? I guess in a way I hope it's the Exmoor R sensor as in the Xperia Arc it has got very good reviews, but the new Omnivision module will be truly brand new tech?

Xperia Ray:

Attachments

• Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-ray-2.jpg
    Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-ray-2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
Was hoping for an improved battery. Apple should stop investing in screens and start investing in batteries.

Though to be fair, the screen is a very large part of a phones power consumption. Improved screens = less power consumption = longer battery times. So it might very well perform better than the iPhone 4 even though the battery is roughly the same, we'll just have to wait and see.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
Though to be fair, the screen is a very large part of a phones power consumption. Improved screens = less power consumption = longer battery times. So it might very well perform better than the iPhone 4 even though the battery is roughly the same, we'll just have to wait and see.

EXACTLY. It's foolish to think that a physically larger battery is the only way to better power efficiency. Look at cars. Yeah engine displacement is a great START... but it doesnt necessarily make it faster than a car with a smaller engine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.