Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

rhcp.jpg

The iTunes Store is giving away the Red Hot Chili Peppers' latest album for free, in a manner of speaking. iTunes is serving up a stream of the entire album for free, and accepting pre-orders for the disc, which will be released on August 30 [iTunes].

We can't remember Apple offering up an entire album via streaming before. It's likely that RHCP's record label is paying a hefty price to Apple for this promotion and its prominent placement on the iTunes Store front page.

Article Link: iTunes Store Offering Free Stream of Unreleased Red Hot Chili Peppers Album

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

The iTunes Store is giving away the Red Hot Chili Peppers' latest album for free, in a manner of speaking. iTunes is serving up a stream of the entire album for free, and accepting pre-orders for the disc, which will be released on August 30 [iTunes].

We can't remember Apple offering up an entire album via streaming before. It's likely that RHCP's record label is paying a hefty price to Apple for this promotion and its prominent placement on the iTunes Store front page.

Article Link: iTunes Store Offering Free Stream of Unreleased Red Hot Chili Peppers Album

where at?? i cant find the streaming section

EDIT: Found it!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm more shocked that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are still cranking out albums.

yourstation

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I guess not in the UK. Accessing via iPhone and can't even get normal clips.
Nothing.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

How about streaming the new Rush album when that comes out?

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I think they'll need to do more and more stuff like this. Since downloading Spotify, I haven't touched iTunes. But I'm not sure if iTunes as a music service is as important to Apple as it once was. They've never made a huge percentage of their revenue from it, and their iPod business is shrinking. I could imagine them adding free streaming alongside downloads to create a service similar to Spotify. Although, they don't like advertising, so not sure how they would pull of the free part of it . . .

dougal55

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
London

I guess not in the UK. Accessing via iPhone and can't even get normal clips.
Nothing.

its the same here on my iPhone, nothing there on iTunes, don't know why, but can still stream it on iTunes through my macbook and it sounds awesome!

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
It's likely that RHCP's record label is paying a hefty price to Apple for this promotion and its prominent placement on the iTunes Store front page.

Either that, or Apple is conducting a limited trial test of a forthcoming full- catalogue streaming service. Just a thought.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
This is just like all previous garbage of RHCP, just a bunch of noise. Not worth the storage and bandwidth. And yet they keep on asking money for it.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just like your comment, except for the asking for money part. I'm sure there's stuff that you buy that other people don't like either. That doesn't mean that it isn't good. I never really liked Elvis but that doesn't mean that he sucked. There's no doubting that the Chili Peppers are skilled musicians.

hyungsup

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
its the same here on my iPhone, nothing there on iTunes, don't know why, but can still stream it on iTunes through my macbook and it sounds awesome!

Listening to the album as I type.
You should click the promotional ad in the first page of iTunes store.
If you try to search the band you only get an option to pre-order.
I live in Ireland btw.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why would the record label be paying money *to* Apple for this? Seems like it should be the other way around. Who is promoting who here? Seems like a whole free album stream is going to erode into RHCPs final album sales, not cause more to be sold, while causing a spike of traffic going into iTunes (and perhaps buying a track or 2 of some other band). When a brick-and-motar store gets an exclusive release, it's certainly not the label paying to have this happen (it's the store).

But, then again, this is Apple (they can squeeze money out of a rock) and this is the RHCPs (when was the last time they sold an album?). Maybe no one is paying anyone for this to happen?

BenManchester

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2009
Either that, or Apple is conducting a limited trial test of a forthcoming full- catalogue streaming service. Just a thought.

My thoughts exactly when I read the title of this news. :)

With Apple letting you upload your music in the iCloud and so on, I'm certain it's only a question of months (and a few signature with majors) until one can stream their music library a la Spotify.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
No john frusciante. Disappointing.

I know, when I read that he had left the band again I was disappointed too. They really shined with him. I just hope he doesn't revert back to his old ways. I saw a documentary on him and he was so strung out on heroin and totally out of his mind. It brings a tear to my eye every time I see it because I'm thinking we were SO close to losing this guy forever..but he pulled himself out of his spiral and returning to the band really helped.

Again, disappointed that he's not on this album, but, I'll wait to pass judgement.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
spotify already does this except for almost every song out not one album

But with the catch that you must either pay for the service or listen to ads. This stream has neither limit. Still, it's clearly just a promotion for the album.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
As for the "first" aspect of it, they did offer up a documentary video free streaming when the Beatles first came to iTunes. (Specifically, the "Live at the Washington Coliseum" video.)

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
spotify already does this except for almost every song out not one album

Spotify also hijacks your file associations ala RealAudio. Still haven't found an excuse to use it except to curse its name whenever I try to open up a video only to find that Spotify stepped in and re-associated itself AGAIN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.