Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Part of me hopes there will be two iPads per flight to have a backup :eek:

There will...

----------

Um, you do realize that cockpits have electricity generated by the ENORMOUS TURBINES strapped to their backs, right?

+++

Apparently the geniuses commenting on this thread don't realize that the iPad runs on the same electricity that the electrical equipment, lights, entertainment devices, etc. on the plane do.

The last thing to be worried about is battery life.

Mulyahnto

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2006
You are flying in a mechanical and electronic piece of machinery with thousands of moving parts and hundreds of electronic systems, and people are worried about batteries running out on an iPad? :rolleyes:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
But iPad is not a "full" tablet, it's so intuitive it's not suited for enterprise. And think of the battery! 10 hours life is too short because I don't understand that airplanes produces electricity.</end troll rant>

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Serious question to ponder.

Is UA admitting that we don't need to turn off our portable electronics now?

Cause I sure as hell would like to keep mine on (not that I really turn anything like this "off")

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
I call ********. iPads aren't saving on fuel by cutting weight.

Complete ********.

Not only that, but everyone knows that you always have to have a hard copy of whatever you are trying to use for an electronic device. So the maps are there on the plane weather an iPad is or not.

Right, because 38 pounds == 1.5 pounts.
And everyone knows you have to have paper, except the people running United Air (and the other airlines also pushing iPads). Of course, you know a lot more than them. Not sure why they didn't consult with you first.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
I'd better not see one of those in use during take off or landing.

Lets hope they will never need reference material during those events then...

---

Personally I think this is a crappy thing. Sure, as a complement - great, but as replacement? I'd rather not (for those of you who dont get it, im talking about the need for back-up systems). And please dont re-feed me some environment crap that a commercial airliner just fed you.

knif

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Dumb idea. When the iPad runs out of battery and/or dies the pilots won't be able to navigate the SIDS/STARS when on departure or arrival.

I don't think you really know what you're talking about.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/b5de2a1cac2e1f7b86256ced00786888/$FILE/AC%20120-76A.pdf

Connect to ship’s power through a certified power source

Not to mention that all SIDs and STARs are in the FMS (Flight Management System). The only time that a paper (or in this case, electronic) chart is used is when:

1) Verify the routing prior to flight,
2) Verify any speed/crossing restrictions (which are also in the FMS), or
3) The FMS fails for whatever reason (software crashes, deferred, etc).

Therefore, I'm forced to deduce that you're a private pilot that really has no idea what he/she is talking about.

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
UA should have waited for a web OS app. They could have saved a fortue on hardware. Likely could have picked up that many touch pads for $49.99 each. :D

DustyLBottoms

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

Sofabutt said:

Complete ********.

Not only that, but everyone knows that you always have to have a hard copy of whatever you are trying to use for an electronic device. So the maps are there on the plane weather an iPad is or not.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Over the past several months, we've made several mentions of commercial airlines testing the iPad as a replacement for flight bags used by pilots. The testing programs have been looking to replace bulky and heavy flight bags full of navigational charts and other materials with iPads in order to reduce the weight of pilots' bags and save fuel on flights.

United Airlines today announced that it has gone a step further, committing to a full transition to using iPads as electronic flight bags and rolling out 11,000 iPads to United and Continental pilots.The iPads are equipped Jeppesen Mobile FliteDeck, which is a free download from the App Store but requires a paid subscription to Jeppesen's services.

The report notes that the iPads will streamline pilots' work by eliminating the need for thumbing through sheafs of paper or waiting for pages to print. The iPads will reduce clutter on cramped flight decks and offer quick and easy access to required data at all times.

Article Link: United Airlines Deploying 11,000 iPads to Pilots as Electronic Flight Bags

Now there's an informed opinion.

:rollseyes:

Jacobsonsm

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
I'd better not see one of those in use during take off or landing.

I am pilot for Continental (United) and of course they will be used during takeoff and landing! These will replace the Jepps that we use, which contain all the approaches and airport diagrams, etc.

Niko03

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008

Complete ********.

Fuel is by far the airlines biggest expense. They definitely know how much it costs in fuel per pound.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
The same people also didn't read the article.

It will remove what the pilots carry in the case, not what's on the aircraft. The body that governs aviation decides what format the material onboard is.

The idea of these is to reduce what the pilots carry, and make it more accessible.
An example, checking the weather pattern on the flight route, take out some bits of paper, or open up the app in iPad and check, realtime, the emerging pattern.

Jacobsonsm

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Part of me hopes there will be two iPads per flight to have a backup :eek:

Each aircraft will have a set of Jeppesen paper manuals. If there is a problem with each one of the pilot's iPads (highly unlikely), then we have a manual paper backup. I am pilot for Continental (United).

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Looking through 12,000 sheets vs typing in what your looking for.

Even if they are neatly organized, iPad wins. People are mentioning the negative what about the instant pull of information the iPad gives.

Jacobsonsm

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Dumb idea. When the iPad runs out of battery and/or dies the pilots won't be able to navigate the SIDS/STARS when on departure or arrival.

Dumb response. Each aircraft will have a set of paper Jeppesen charts, for the unlikely event the each pilot's iPad battery is low, or the iPad fails.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.